Caching-mode client hangs onto outdated/nonexistent global signature

Well, here's a crummy situation: One of my telecommuters realized today
that an outdated global signature was being applied to her messages (we
only attach them to external mail, so no one in the office caught it).
So I updated her client and ran gwcheck (analyze/fix everything) on her
live and caching mailboxes.

The outdated global signature remains.

If I use a different machine, the correct global signature is appended.

Later today, when I can get access to her computer again, I will see
what happens if I use that machine, but switch the GW client to online mode.

But if the global signature is appended at the gwia, how can it matter
what client or machine the message originates from?

And how can I get this particular machine to pick up the current signature?

Of course this is one of the irascible users who will be very happy to
judge harshly and loudly if I can't fix this quickly.

Tags:

  • On 12/17/2015 1:41 PM, Mary Wood wrote:
    > Well, here's a crummy situation: One of my telecommuters realized today
    > that an outdated global signature was being applied to her messages (we
    > only attach them to external mail, so no one in the office caught it).
    > So I updated her client and ran gwcheck (analyze/fix everything) on her
    > live and caching mailboxes.
    >
    > The outdated global signature remains.
    >
    > If I use a different machine, the correct global signature is appended.
    >
    > Later today, when I can get access to her computer again, I will see
    > what happens if I use that machine, but switch the GW client to online
    > mode.
    >
    > But if the global signature is appended at the gwia, how can it matter
    > what client or machine the message originates from?
    >
    > And how can I get this particular machine to pick up the current signature?
    >
    > Of course this is one of the irascible users who will be very happy to
    > judge harshly and loudly if I can't fix this quickly.



    Update: Going from caching to online and back to caching helped - but
    still doesn't make sense. And for those who always work in caching
    mode, it's not good to have this get stuck, if your company policy is to
    change global signatures from time to time.
  • Hi Mary,

    I can confirm that I am seeing the same thing. Let me see if I can find a fix that doesn't require the switching between modes.

    Cheers,
  • In article <EmFcy.988$ct1.845@novprvlin0913.provo.novell.com>, Mary Wood
    wrote:
    > And for those who always work in caching
    > mode, it's not good to have this get stuck, if your company policy is to
    > change global signatures from time to time.


    How long had the change been in place? There are supposed to be sync
    processes that would eventually get it. I can see it being a part of the
    "Refresh address books and rules every" X "days" that defaults to 7 under:
    Accounts, Account Options, properties of the account, Advanced tab, bottom.


    Andy of
    http://KonecnyConsulting.ca in Toronto
    Knowledge Partner
    http://forums.novell.com/member.php/75037-konecnya
    If you find a post helpful and are logged in the Web interface, please show
    your appreciation by clicking on the star below. Thanks!

  • Hi Andy

    I've done a send/receive every possible way.

    Address book and rules set to update every 1 day. It's been three days and still the global signature is wrong. The global signature is set at PO level. I set the PO global signature to NONE and restarted. Set mail from Caching and no signature was added. Set global signature back to the one that was edited, restarted PO and still global signature was wrong on mail sent from Caching mailbox.

    I have no idea how to update this. I was under the impression that the global signature is added at the POA and not at client level. I have switched between Online and Caching mode and still the Caching mode signature is wrong! I am still trying to figure out other ways of getting this to update. There is the possibility that there is a bug - I'm using the GroupWise 2014 R2 client.

    Any other ideas Andy?

    Cheers,
  • Hi,

    After not doing anything to fix this issue it has auto-magically resolved itself overnight. There has been a period of four days between editing the signature and the correct one being applied to mail being sent out from a Caching mailbox. I am going to do further testing in my lab environment. I will post back if I find anything.

    Cheers,
  • In article <laurabuckley.788ja0@no-mx.forums.microfocus.com>, Laurabuckley
    wrote:
    > After not doing anything to fix this issue it has auto-magically
    > resolved itself overnight. There has been a period of four days between
    > editing the signature and the correct one being applied to mail being
    > sent out from a Caching mailbox.


    Well if your "Refresh address books and rules every" is set to 1 "days",
    this it isn't that one. Hmm, where else is there such a refresh cycle?
    Might be more of an issue that it is one we don't have access to change.
    I am assuming you've now set a new sig today to see when it next flows
    down. My bet is Tuesday next week.


    Andy of
    http://KonecnyConsulting.ca in Toronto
    Knowledge Partner
    http://forums.novell.com/member.php/75037-konecnya
    If you find a post helpful and are logged in the Web interface, please
    show your appreciation by clicking on the star below. Thanks!

  • Hi Andy,

    I've reported this, in the backrooms, to Novell. I'll post back any feedback I get so please watch this space :)

    Cheers,
  • On 12/22/2015 12:56 AM, laurabuckley wrote:
    >
    > Hi Andy,
    >
    > I've reported this, in the backrooms, to Novell. I'll post back any
    > feedback I get so please watch this space :)
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    >

    Watching carefully, since we have a global sig that should change over
    in 3...2....1... and didn't.
  • Hi Mary,

    Unfortunately due to the time of year with most people [engineering and otherwise] being on holiday this will only receive attention in the new year. I have no suggestions in the interim to resolve this issue as I've tried absolutely everything I can think of.

    So, please continue to watch this space ;)

    Cheers,
  • I have found mention of this bug as far back as GW 7! It makes me mad
    that it's still not fixed. I'm guessing they have no intention of
    fixing it.



    On 12/30/2015 11:16 PM, laurabuckley wrote:
    >
    > Hi Mary,
    >
    > Unfortunately due to the time of year with most people [engineering and
    > otherwise] being on holiday this will only receive attention in the new
    > year. I have no suggestions in the interim to resolve this issue as
    > I've tried absolutely everything I can think of.
    >
    > So, please continue to watch this space ;)
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    >