New user mailbox unavailable

Recently moved to Groupwise 8 with our primary domain running on SLES, we are having trouble when we create a new user. The user creation goes fine without error but after the user is created they are unable to access their mailbox. Running GWCheck shows that the name is not valid. However in C1 it shows the user and their File ID. Another odd thing is we renamed a resource and under C1 it should the renamed resource but the users can not see the change. I have ran GWCHECK numerous times without seeing any trouble in the log. I can only validate the post office database when the post office is shutdown otherwise I get an error file lock. Email works fine otherwise but any changes are not taking place. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Oh the post office and the primary domain run on the same server also.

Andy
  • avicehnhs wrote:

    > Oh the post office and the primary domain run on the same server also.


    You have a stuck admin thread for certain. And just in case, make sure that
    the /noada switch is not enabled in your POA. What happens if you try to
    synchronize these users? Do you see anything in the POA log at the time you
    try to synchronize that might give us some clues?

    --
    Danita
    Novell Knowledge Partner
    Moving GroupWise to Linux?
    http://www.caledonia.net/gwmove.html
  • dzanre;1837475 wrote:
    avicehnhs wrote:

    > Oh the post office and the primary domain run on the same server also.


    You have a stuck admin thread for certain. And just in case, make sure that
    the /noada switch is not enabled in your POA. What happens if you try to
    synchronize these users? Do you see anything in the POA log at the time you
    try to synchronize that might give us some clues?

    --
    Danita
    Novell Knowledge Partner
    Moving GroupWise to Linux?
    Moving GroupWise


    Since this morning all the users can now access their mailboxes correctly. However some of the resources I had renamed are still not showing up with their new names. How can I check the /noada switch to make sure it is not enabled? How can I determine if the changes are because of a slow syncing issue or something else? Thanks for the reply.
  • avicehnhs wrote:

    > How can I check the /noada switch to make sure it is not enabled? How can
    > I determine if the changes are because of a slow syncing issue or
    > something else?


    If /noada is in your POA file and not remarked out, then it's on. But if
    things cleared up for most of them, then that's unlikely.

    Can you try to synchronize those resources that have not changed?

    Thanks.

    --
    Danita
    Novell Knowledge Partner
    Moving GroupWise to Linux?
    http://www.caledonia.net/gwmove.html
  • dzanre;1838049 wrote:
    avicehnhs wrote:

    > How can I check the /noada switch to make sure it is not enabled? How can
    > I determine if the changes are because of a slow syncing issue or
    > something else?


    If /noada is in your POA file and not remarked out, then it's on. But if
    things cleared up for most of them, then that's unlikely.

    Can you try to synchronize those resources that have not changed?

    Thanks.

    --
    Danita
    Novell Knowledge Partner
    Moving GroupWise to Linux?
    Moving GroupWise


    I created a new resource and waited about 15 minutes and then did a sync and still no resource showing in the Groupwise client. It shows that it was created in C1 but not to the clients. I checked the log but found nothing that would indicate an error. I'am not sure where to view the working queue if there is such a place to see why it takes so long for either my new users or resources to appear to my clients. Thanks for working on this with me, I will keep grinding.

    Andy
  • avicehnhs;1838602 wrote:
    I created a new resource and waited about 15 minutes and then did a sync and still no resource showing in the Groupwise client. It shows that it was created in C1 but not to the clients. I checked the log but found nothing that would indicate an error. I'am not sure where to view the working queue if there is such a place to see why it takes so long for either my new users or resources to appear to my clients. Thanks for working on this with me, I will keep grinding.

    Andy


    Turns out I needed to shutdown the MTA and POA. Then rename the ads folder under WPCSOUT, start up the agents and rebuild to get it working again. This is the TID I followed even though it did not cover Groupwise 8.

    www.novell.com/.../search.do