Currently the system consists 2 Servers
OES11 GW2012

Due to reorganization we are moving a whole department to another site
the site will be linked by Site-Site VPN over an ADSL link

Server 1 - user files
Server 2 - groupwise inc webaccess
  • In article <bhrt60.66cqin@no-mx.forums.novell.com>, Bhrt60 wrote:
    > So my thoughts are to add a 3rd server
  • IIRC, Documents do not move. They always stay where they were originally put. To access the documents the user is routed to the owning PO.

Mark.
  • MarkDissington;2298454 wrote:
    IIRC, Documents do not move. They always stay where they were originally put. To access the documents the user is routed to the owning PO.

Mark.

emm.. documents will be all over the place in different folders etc.

I suppose the Authored documents could be moved on-mass.

How about SHARED folders would these move ?
  • In article <bharat1.66lvoo@no-mx.forums.novell.com>, Bharat1 wrote:
    > How about SHARED folders would these move ?
    >

I believe they move with their owners, possibly with some reconnecting
    needed of the shares after it is complete. But do let them fully
    complete before taking those steps.

Andy of
    KonecnyConsulting.ca in Toronto
    Knowledge Partner
    http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=75037
    If you find a post helpful and are logged in the Web interface, please
    show your appreciation by clicking on the star below. Thanks!

• I was referring to the actual physical location of the document file, where it is stored on disk, I believe this does not change - the document files will still be physically on the same old server and in the same PO/Library.

From the user perspective the files will still be in the original logical 'folders' in the client even if the user has been moved to another PO. But when the file is opened/viewed the client will be directed to the original PO/Library location to retrieve the file from the storage there. Your new PO will have a new Library available (if you configure one) in which the users can store new documents and/or move documents from the old Library to the new one, BUT this WILL re-number the documents when they are moved.

TBH, the folder location for documents are pretty much irrelevant they are simply pointers to the library/doc number stored at either a PO or an External Document Storage location, you can have the same document referenced in multiple folders - you edit one they all are updated as they only point to a single stored copy on the filesystem. Something that it is really hard to explain to users coming from a traditional file-in-folder state of mind.

Mark.