Using a alternative port for a GMS client

Hi,
I know this question is not directly GMS, but I have been searching Google and Apple without finding the answer.
I want to have GroupWise web access on default port 443 - and I would like to use GMS to get mail and calendar on iOS clients.

So I will make a NAT rule in the firewall translating an alternative port to my GMS server on port 443.
Can this alternative port be configured in an iOS mail account (Exchange type)?
  • On 28/07/2014 14:06, clausbc wrote:

    > I know this question is not directly GMS, but I have been searching
    > Google and Apple without finding the answer.
    > I want to have GroupWise web access on default port 443 - and I would
    > like to use GMS to get mail and calendar on iOS clients.
    >
    > So I will make a NAT rule in the firewall translating an alternative
    > port to my GMS server on port 443.
    > Can this alternative port be configured in an iOS mail account (Exchange
    > type)?


    I believe ActiveSync uses port 443 for SSL/HTTPS connections and 80 for
    non-secure HTTP connections and that these cannot be changed to
    different ports.

    HTH.
    --
    Simon
    Novell Knowledge Partner

    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below. Thanks.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
  • Yes - I know.
    That is why I will only use the alternative port from client to firewall and then redirect in the firewall to standard 443.
    So my question is on the client side.
    Regards.
  • On 28/07/2014 16:16, clausbc wrote:

    > Yes - I know.
    > That is why I will only use the alternative port from client to firewall
    > and then redirect in the firewall to standard 443.
    > So my question is on the client side.


    My answer still applies - ActiveSync from the client wants to talk to
    port 80/443.

    HTH.
    --
    Simon
    Novell Knowledge Partner

    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below. Thanks.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
  • On 28.07.2014 16:34, Simon Flood wrote:
    > I believe ActiveSync uses port 443 for SSL/HTTPS connections and 80 for
    > non-secure HTTP connections and that these cannot be changed to
    > different ports.


    Depends on the individual device. Many can specify alternative ports,
    but also many can't. Last I checked, IOS could, Android generally only
    4.3 or higher and some older specific devices (HTC for instance always
    could do this), Windows Mobile up to WM7 can't chnage it. No idea if
    they can now.

    CU,
    --
    Massimo Rosen
    Novell Knowledge Partner
    No emails please!
    http://www.cfc-it.de
  • Any idea of the syntax on iOS?
    A-record.domain.dk: port seems doomed as invalid,
    Claus
  • In article <clausbc.6hyzgn@no-mx.forums.novell.com>, Clausbc wrote:
    > That is why I will only use the alternative port from client to firewall
    > and then redirect in the firewall to standard 443.
    >

    Just to be sure we are all on the same wavelength.
    Is your GMS running on its own instance of SLES, separate from WebAccess,
    but you have only the one public IPv4 address to work with?


    Andy of
    KonecnyConsulting.ca in Toronto
    Knowledge Partner
    http://forums.novell.com/member.php/75037-konecnya
    If you find a post helpful and are logged in the Web interface, please
    show your appreciation by clicking on the star below. Thanks!

  • Hello,

    On iOS, you can specify a port by using <gsmnameserver:<portnumber>

    Jean-Luc
  • konecnya;2327224 wrote:
    In article <clausbc.6hyzgn@no-mx.forums.novell.com>, Clausbc wrote:
    > That is why I will only use the alternative port from client to firewall
    > and then redirect in the firewall to standard 443.
    >

    Just to be sure we are all on the same wavelength.
    Is your GMS running on its own instance of SLES, separate from WebAccess,
    but you have only the one public IPv4 address to work with?


    Andy of
    KonecnyConsulting.ca in Toronto
    Knowledge Partner
    http://forums.novell.com/member.php/75037-konecnya
    If you find a post helpful and are logged in the Web interface, please
    show your appreciation by clicking on the star below. Thanks!


    Yes, that is the exact situation.
  • On 28.07.2014 23:16, clausbc wrote:
    >
    > Any idea of the syntax on iOS?
    > A-record.domain.dk: port seems doomed as invalid,


    No, sorry, I'm not an Apple User, I was told by one (actually multiple)
    that it works. There are also hints to be found in google that it does.

    CU,
    --
    Massimo Rosen
    Novell Knowledge Partner
    No emails please!
    http://www.cfc-it.de
  • clausbc wrote:

    > > Just to be sure we are all on the same wavelength.
    > > Is your GMS running on its own instance of SLES, separate from
    > > WebAccess,
    > > but you have only the one public IPv4 address to work with?

    >
    > Yes, that is the exact situation.


    As others have pointed out, depending on the device you may or may not
    be able to specify an alternate point. I know your question is
    regarding iOS, but even then, there's always the possibility that an
    iOS update could break this even if today iOS allows specifying an
    alternate port.

    If anything I would keep GMS on standard 443 because of device
    limitations and then use an alternate port for WebAccess. You can
    always specify the port in a URL in a browser. That would be much
    safer.

    --
    Your world is on the move. http://www.novell.com/mobility/
    BrainShare 2014 is coming. http://www.novell.com/brainshare/