A Lean Mailbox Means Better Performance

0 Likes
over 10 years ago
Recently I had some users with a GroupWise performance problem that was a direct result of many thousands of unorganized emails directly in the root of the mailbox. The following is what I told them. Once they followed these instructions and organized their email, GroupWise would function better when opening the mailbox and when searching.

If you store all of your mail directly in your mailbox and do not use folders you may run into a performance issue as your mail accumulates. The reason this happens is that when you open GroupWise it caches all the mail in your mailbox view, so the more you have the longer it will take. Novell recommends creating folders under your cabinet to help sorting. Also, if you don’t need it, you can delete it. A good rule of thumb is to not have more than 5,000 emails in your mailbox.

How to create folder for organization in the GroupWise 8 client

1. Right-click on the cabinet > Choose "New Folder" > Name the folder.

• You may drag-and-drop the folder to nest it inside another folder.

• You can drag and drop e-mail into the folder.

How to create folder for organization in WebAccess 8

1. Right-click on the cabinet > Choose "Add Folder" > Name the folder.

• Unlike the client you cannot drag-and-drop the folder to nest it inside another folder. If you want it in another folder you can right-click on the folder > Choose "Add Folder" > Name the folder.

• You can drag and drop e-mail into the folder.

Labels:

How To-Best Practice
Comment List
Anonymous
  • The solution works for multiple people, so I highly doubt it is a broken index. The number is just a rule-of-thumb and should be tweaked in any environment. Sure GroupWise is scalable, but not every environment is optimal. Give it a try before naysaying.
  • Hi,

my mailbox contains 2131 emails (221 in Inbox, 1913 in sent items) but my GroupWise Client needs about 30 seconds to open. German GW 8.0.2 HP2 on Windows 7 x64. I guess this is a Xen issue, my GroupWise server (OES2 SP3) is virtualized on Xen.

Walter
  • This article was reposted to the GW account on Facebook where Massimo Rosen, a current Novell Knowledge Partner took issue with it:
    ------------------------------------------------------------------
    Massimo Rosen Sorry, I *have to* refute that. Neither does Groupwise "cache" all mail in a folder (or Mailbox) when you open it, nor is Groupwise in any other way adversly affected by many items in a folder. My Groupwise Mailbox at this very second holds 21.000 received and 17.000 sent items, and said mailbox opens within a fraction of a second.

Massimo Rosen And actually, this is one of the huge pros of Groupwise, it scales *extremely* well, and hardly cares at all about the amount of messages. In this case here, I have to assume that in reality, the indexes of the affected user were broken.
  • Good question. I’m not really sure but it’s easy enough to test. Just create the folder under your mailbox, move your mail into it, close you mail and see if it opens any faster. I’d like to try it but I just don’t keep that much mail. If you can do it report back your findings.
  • What happens if you create folder directly under the inbox instead of the cabinet? Are those folders cached as well?