iprint bug that can happen to anyone

reporting a bug

I'm running OES2 SP2 AND SP3

I'm seeing this pattern

When any printer is in an error state (paper jam or out of toner) and user sent a job to it which of course will stay in the print queue, I will start to see this error in var/log/messages. PRINTER23 for example would generate the log below every couple minutes until someone service the printer.



May 1 00:41:05 sav-iprint-server iprintgw[24614]: 05/1/12 00:41:05 LprSendControlFile failed for printer agent 'PRINTER23', ccode=-1 Error 11 - Resource temporarily unavailable
May 1 00:45:35 sav-iprint-server iprintgw[24614]: 05/1/12 00:45:35 LprSendControlFile failed for printer agent 'PRINTER23', ccode=-1 Error 11 - Resource temporarily unavailable
May 1 00:54:35 sav-iprint-server iprintgw[24614]: 05/1/12 00:54:35 LprSendControlFile failed for printer agent 'PRINTER23', ccode=-1 Error 11 - Resource temporarily unavailable



However, if you leave the printer with this error for 2 days or more, your print server will eventually crash and auto restart



May 3 09:22:45 WARNING A child process has gone or the iPrint Manager has just experienced a fatal error. It will be restarted by its monitor process.
May 3 09:22:45 INFO Starting print manager process with pid: 25697
May 3 09:23:08 INFO Starting iprintgw process with pid: 25742
May 3 09:23:08 INFO Starting papercut process with pid: 25745
May 3 09:23:10 INFO iPrint Manager 'SAV-IPRINT-MANAGER' has successfully loaded.
May 3 16:44:46 WARNING The monitor process (29911) received signal: 15 from process (24515) running with uid (0).



At this point, the iprint manager status will show "BAD" but everthing is still functioning. It has "BAD" status because the "Client Interface" status gave a crazy amount of Failed operations.


Latest Client Event from printserver/psmstatus/

"Operations that Failed 4238 69663 210040"


The only workaround that fixed the "BAD" status after print manager auto restarted is to stop print manager service and must killall-9 iprintgw and restart the print service


My real problem is this, if you ignore the printer error status and let the iprint manager crash and auto restart and this loop will continue. After serveral auto restarts (around 30-45 days total), I believe it will hang trying to auto restart again and no one can print. This is where I'm at. I shouldn't be watching the logs for printers that are in error states to prevent all the crashing and auto restart of the print manager.


Can any one confirm this? I know you can duplicate this problem easily. You must be in a large environment with lots of printers to experience this problem because chance of printers that left unservice for days. I'm seeing this problem on the latest patches of OES2 SP2, SP3 and i'm pretty sure OES11 since there are not much changes between them for iprint. Thank you.


Phil
  • poweruser;2196080 wrote:
    reporting a bug

    I'm running OES2 SP2 AND SP3

    I'm seeing this pattern

    When any printer is in an error state (paper jam or out of toner) and user sent a job to it which of course will stay in the print queue, I will start to see this error in var/log/messages. PRINTER23 for example would generate the log below every couple minutes until someone service the printer.



    May 1 00:41:05 sav-iprint-server iprintgw[24614]: 05/1/12 00:41:05 LprSendControlFile failed for printer agent 'PRINTER23', ccode=-1 Error 11 - Resource temporarily unavailable
    May 1 00:45:35 sav-iprint-server iprintgw[24614]: 05/1/12 00:45:35 LprSendControlFile failed for printer agent 'PRINTER23', ccode=-1 Error 11 - Resource temporarily unavailable
    May 1 00:54:35 sav-iprint-server iprintgw[24614]: 05/1/12 00:54:35 LprSendControlFile failed for printer agent 'PRINTER23', ccode=-1 Error 11 - Resource temporarily unavailable



    However, if you leave the printer with this error for 2 days or more, your print server will eventually crash and auto restart



    May 3 09:22:45 WARNING A child process has gone or the iPrint Manager has just experienced a fatal error. It will be restarted by its monitor process.
    May 3 09:22:45 INFO Starting print manager process with pid: 25697
    May 3 09:23:08 INFO Starting iprintgw process with pid: 25742
    May 3 09:23:08 INFO Starting papercut process with pid: 25745
    May 3 09:23:10 INFO iPrint Manager 'SAV-IPRINT-MANAGER' has successfully loaded.
    May 3 16:44:46 WARNING The monitor process (29911) received signal: 15 from process (24515) running with uid (0).



    At this point, the iprint manager status will show "BAD" but everthing is still functioning. It has "BAD" status because the "Client Interface" status gave a crazy amount of Failed operations.


    Latest Client Event from printserver/psmstatus/

    "Operations that Failed 4238 69663 210040"


    The only workaround that fixed the "BAD" status after print manager auto restarted is to stop print manager service and must killall-9 iprintgw and restart the print service


    My real problem is this, if you ignore the printer error status and let the iprint manager crash and auto restart and this loop will continue. After serveral auto restarts (around 30-45 days total), I believe it will hang trying to auto restart again and no one can print. This is where I'm at. I shouldn't be watching the logs for printers that are in error states to prevent all the crashing and auto restart of the print manager.


    Can any one confirm this? I know you can duplicate this problem easily. You must be in a large environment with lots of printers to experience this problem because chance of printers that left unservice for days. I'm seeing this problem on the latest patches of OES2 SP2, SP3 and i'm pretty sure OES11 since there are not much changes between them for iprint. Thank you.


    Please confirm installed versions of iPrint for both your OES2 SP2 and SP3 servers by posting output from "rpm -qa | grep iprint".

    HTH.
  • smflood;2196268 wrote:
    Please confirm installed versions of iPrint for both your OES2 SP2 and SP3 servers by posting output from "rpm -qa | grep iprint".

    HTH.


    For Oes 2 sp2

    novell-iprint-client-6.3.20111110-0.7.1
    novell-iprint-management-6.3.20111128-0.6.1
    yast2-novell-iprint-2.14.8-61
    novell-iprint-iprntman-6.2.20110909-0.6.1
    novell-iprint-migration-6.2.20110909-0.6.1
    novell-iprint-server-6.2.20111128-0.6.1

    I had OES 2 sp3 on the test box but I recently put OES11 on it. I'm in the process of tracking the problem existed on OES11. I can't confirm this yet. Thanks.
  • On 16/05/2012 13:46, poweruser wrote:

    > For Oes 2 sp2
    >
    > novell-iprint-client-6.3.20111110-0.7.1
    > novell-iprint-management-6.3.20111128-0.6.1
    > yast2-novell-iprint-2.14.8-61
    > novell-iprint-iprntman-6.2.20110909-0.6.1
    > novell-iprint-migration-6.2.20110909-0.6.1
    > novell-iprint-server-6.2.20111128-0.6.1


    I can confirm that the above RPMs are the latest iPrint available for
    OES2 SP2 (although there are later iPrint clients available for separate
    download).

    > I had OES 2 sp3 on the test box but I recently put OES11 on it. I'm in
    > the process of tracking the problem existed on OES11. I can't confirm
    > this yet. Thanks.


    Please can you confirm whether this issue exists with OES11 and supply
    RPM versions for OES2 SP3 and/or OES11.

    In the meantime I'll report this issue to Novell though I'll note that I
    believe OES2 SP2 is no longer supported (as of December 2011) but since
    Novell seem to have tidied up their Support Lifecycle page I can no
    longer find the relevant statement.

    HTH.

    [1] http://support.novell.com/lifecycle/

    --
    Simon
    Novell/SUSE/NetIQ Knowledge Partner

    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Do you work with Novell technologies at a university, college or school?
    If so, your campus could benefit from joining the Novell Technology
    Transfer Partner (TTP) program. See novell.com/ttp for more details.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
  • Hello. I'm having the same problem.
    Any word on this? We have like 700 printers and the logs show a few auto-restarts in the past 2 months.

    # rpm -qa | grep iprint
    novell-iprint-iprntman-6.3.20110909-0.7
    novell-iprint-management-6.3.20110909-0.7
    novell-iprint-migration-6.3.20110909-0.7
    novell-iprint-server-6.3.20110909-0.7
    novell-iprint-client-6.3.20111110-0.9
    yast2-novell-iprint-2.14.8-66
  • Was there any resolution to this problem?

    I'm seeing similar symptoms on a smaller but high-usage system.

    May 13 12:11:06 tksprintvm2 iprintgw[6942]: 05/13/14 12:11:06 LprSendControlFile failed for printer agent 'Yr1-HP2055dn', ccode=-1 Error 11 - Resource temporarily unavailable
    May 13 12:13:17 tksprintvm2 iprintgw[6942]: 05/13/14 12:13:17 LprSendControlFile failed for printer agent 'Yr1-HP2055dn', ccode=-1 Error 11 - Resource temporarily unavailable
    May 13 12:14:17 tksprintvm2 sshd[27114]: Connection closed by 127.0.0.1 [preauth]
    May 13 12:14:23 tksprintvm2 iprintgw[6942]: 05/13/14 12:14:23 LprSendControlFile failed for printer agent 'Yr1-HP2055dn', ccode=-1 Error 11 - Resource temporarily unavailable
    May 13 12:14:46 tksprintvm2 ipsmd[6922]: A child process has gone or the iPrint Manager has just experienced a fatal error. It will be restarted by its monitor process.
    May 13 12:14:47 tksprintvm2 ipsmd[30720]: iPrint Manager 'iprint-linux.Printers.Kings' has successfully loaded.

    ipsmd says it's sucessfully loaded though we have to reboot the entire server before printing resumes!

    RPM Versions:
    tksprintvm2:~ # rpm -qa | grep iprint
    novell-iprint-iprntman-wrapper-1.0.0-32.4
    novell-iprint-client-6.7.0.20131216-0.5.1
    yast2-novell-iprint-2.14.10-0.5.315
    novell-iprint-iprntman-6.7.0.20140218-0.5.1
    novell-iprint-migration-6.7.0.20131030-0.5.23
    novell-iprint-server-6.7.0.20131126-0.5.8
    supportutils-plugin-iprint-1.1-28.1
  • On 13/05/2014 04:16, jwtaylor wrote:

    > Was there any resolution to this problem?


    As you can see earlier in this thread I did report this to Novell but
    then never heard back from poweruser whether it had been duplicated with
    more current version of OES ... until now.

    > I'm seeing similar symptoms on a smaller but high-usage system.
    >
    > May 13 12:11:06 tksprintvm2 iprintgw[6942]: 05/13/14 12:11:06
    > LprSendControlFile failed for printer agent 'Yr1-HP2055dn', ccode=-1
    > Error 11 - Resource temporarily unavailable
    > May 13 12:13:17 tksprintvm2 iprintgw[6942]: 05/13/14 12:13:17
    > LprSendControlFile failed for printer agent 'Yr1-HP2055dn', ccode=-1
    > Error 11 - Resource temporarily unavailable
    > May 13 12:14:17 tksprintvm2 sshd[27114]: Connection closed by 127.0.0.1
    > [preauth]
    > May 13 12:14:23 tksprintvm2 iprintgw[6942]: 05/13/14 12:14:23
    > LprSendControlFile failed for printer agent 'Yr1-HP2055dn', ccode=-1
    > Error 11 - Resource temporarily unavailable
    > May 13 12:14:46 tksprintvm2 ipsmd[6922]: A child process has gone or the
    > iPrint Manager has just experienced a fatal error. It will be restarted
    > by its monitor process.
    > May 13 12:14:47 tksprintvm2 ipsmd[30720]: iPrint Manager
    > 'iprint-linux.Printers.Kings' has successfully loaded.
    >
    > ipsmd says it's sucessfully loaded though we have to reboot the entire
    > server before printing resumes!
    >
    > RPM Versions:
    > tksprintvm2:~ # rpm -qa | grep iprint
    > novell-iprint-iprntman-wrapper-1.0.0-32.4
    > novell-iprint-client-6.7.0.20131216-0.5.1
    > yast2-novell-iprint-2.14.10-0.5.315
    > novell-iprint-iprntman-6.7.0.20140218-0.5.1
    > novell-iprint-migration-6.7.0.20131030-0.5.23
    > novell-iprint-server-6.7.0.20131126-0.5.8
    > supportutils-plugin-iprint-1.1-28.1


    Since you didn't say, given the versions above can I check that your
    server is OES11 SP2 (on SLES11 SP3)?

    HTH.
    --
    Simon
    Novell Knowledge Partner

    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below. Thanks.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------