slp DA not showing itself (?) in OES

OES 11 SP2 (yeah I know)

3 servers in the tree.

Server1 = 10.10.1.10
Server2 = 10.10.1.11
Server3 = 10.10.1.13

Server1 and Server3 are both openslpDA servers (Server1 is a DS Master, Server2 and Server3 have RW replicas of everything)

Server1 slp.conf (well end part anyway):

net.slp.useScopes = ACME_SLP_GLOBAL
net.slp.isDA = true
net.slp.isBroadcastOnly = false
net.slp.DAAddresses = 10.10.1.10,10.10.1.13
net.slp.MTU = 1450

net.slp.DASyncReg = true
net.slp.isDABackup = true
;net.slp.DABackupLocalReg = true
net.slp.DABackupInterval = 900



Server3 slp.conf (end part as well):

net.slp.useScopes = ACME_SLP_GLOBAL
net.slp.isDA = true
net.slp.isBroadcastOnly = false
net.slp.DAAddresses = 10.10.1.13,10.10.1.10
net.slp.MTU = 1450
net.slp.interfaces = 10.10.1.13

net.slp.DASyncReg = true
net.slp.isDABackup = true
net.slp.DABackupInterval = 900


Server3 was rebooted 2 weeks ago.

All three servers show the same output from:
slptool findsrvs service:bindery.novell:

service:bindery.novell:///Server2,2835
service:bindery.novell:///Server1,810


Server3 is missing.

OES Client on pc's also only show two "bindery" servers:
Server1
and
Server2

Server3 is missing

I tried using TID https://support.microfocus.com/kb/doc.php?id=7001449

But nothing seems to jive/work.

Any ideas as to why this one server refuses to show up as a bindery server?
We're randomly getting "tree or server not found" which I think may be this one server (would have to find a hub to try to do a packet capture to see what's going on from the workstation perspective).

Restarting slpda has no effect.
Parents
  • To get a real view of what an given DA knows about use something like
    slptool unicastfindsrvs xx.xx.xx.xx service:bindery.novell
    with the X-rays being the DA's ip address (DNS does not work).
    If there's only one address bound on Server3 leave out the
    net.slp.interfaces
    statement. Leave the MTU at 1400 unless there's a really valid reason for something else. And please check the
    n4u.nds.advertise-life-time=
    setting with ndsconfig get.
    ndsd registers bindery.novell and ndap.novell at loadtime and after the given interval.
  • mathiasbraun;2500633 wrote:
    To get a real view of what an given DA knows about use something like
    slptool unicastfindsrvs xx.xx.xx.xx service:bindery.novell
    with the X-rays being the DA's ip address (DNS does not work).
    If there's only one address bound on Server3 leave out the
    net.slp.interfaces
    statement. Leave the MTU at 1400 unless there's a really valid reason for something else. And please check the
    n4u.nds.advertise-life-time=
    setting with ndsconfig get.
    ndsd registers bindery.novell and ndap.novell at loadtime and after the given interval.


    thanks.
    the unicastfindsrvs shows all 3 servers.
    I set the lifetime to 600 (10 min) from the default of 3600 (via ndsconfig get) and reloaded slpda, but that didnt' seem to actually take/kick in.
    iManager still showed 0:13:something for the "waiting" which would imply it did not read/take the 10 minutes setting.

    Even if it was the hour, the server should've shown itself in the bindery since it was restarted 2 weeks ago.

    I think the MTU was 1450 for some networking reason (but can't remember). Will have to try to dig up some old notes.
  • Kevin,

    On 06.06.2019 18:06, kjhurni wrote:
    > the unicastfindsrvs shows all 3 servers.


    Using which IP? WHat is the result for each of the three servers?

    > I set the lifetime to 600 (10 min) from the default of 3600 (via
    > ndsconfig get) and reloaded slpda, but that didnt' seem to actually
    > take/kick in.


    No, as it's a setting for NDSD, not for SLPDA. To have it take, you need
    to restart ndsd of course. But it's really not that important, the
    default is ok these days.


    CU,
    --
    Massimo Rosen
    Micro Focus Knowledge Partner
    No emails please!
    http://www.cfc-it.de
  • Kevin,

    On 06.06.2019 18:06, kjhurni wrote:
    > the unicastfindsrvs shows all 3 servers.


    Using which IP? WHat is the result for each of the three servers?

    > I set the lifetime to 600 (10 min) from the default of 3600 (via
    > ndsconfig get) and reloaded slpda, but that didnt' seem to actually
    > take/kick in.


    No, as it's a setting for NDSD, not for SLPDA. To have it take, you need
    to restart ndsd of course. But it's really not that important, the
    default is ok these days.


    CU,
    --
    Massimo Rosen
    Micro Focus Knowledge Partner
    No emails please!
    http://www.cfc-it.de
  • If "unicastfindsrvs", pointing TO both DAs from ANY box, shows all servers, then all registrations seem to be ok. You might want to verify the
    /etc/slp.reg.d/slpd/DABackup
    file.
  • Massimo Rosen;2500664 wrote:
    Kevin,

    On 06.06.2019 18:06, kjhurni wrote:
    > the unicastfindsrvs shows all 3 servers.


    Using which IP? WHat is the result for each of the three servers?

    > I set the lifetime to 600 (10 min) from the default of 3600 (via
    > ndsconfig get) and reloaded slpda, but that didnt' seem to actually
    > take/kick in.


    No, as it's a setting for NDSD, not for SLPDA. To have it take, you need
    to restart ndsd of course. But it's really not that important, the
    default is ok these days.


    CU,
    --
    Massimo Rosen
    Micro Focus Knowledge Partner
    No emails please!
    http://www.cfc-it.de


    Ah, good question.
    Server1 and Server3 are DA's.

    Server1:

    Pointing to Server3 NCP IP interface:
    see's the other two servers (Server2 and Server3) via unicast but doesn't see itself (not sure if that's normal)

    Pointing to Server3 "LDAP" interface:
    sees nothing


    Server2:
    Pointing to Server3 NCP interface:
    sees Server2 and Server3 (but not Server1)

    Pointing to Server3 LDAP interface:
    sees nothing

    Pointing to Server1 NCP interface:
    sees Server2 and Server3

    Pointing to Server1 "LDAP" interface:
    sees Server2 and Server3 (apparently I forgot to restrict Server1 on the other interface a while back)


    Server3:

    Pointing to Server1 NCP interface:
    sees Server1, Server2 and Server3

    Pointing to Server1 LDAP interface:
    sees Server1, Server2 and Server3
  • mathiasbraun;2500670 wrote:
    If "unicastfindsrvs", pointing TO both DAs from ANY box, shows all servers, then all registrations seem to be ok. You might want to verify the
    /etc/slp.reg.d/slpd/DABackup
    file.


    Interestingly enough only ONE server exhibits this behavior:
    Server3
    pointing to itself, and the other DA it sees all 3 servers.

    The other two:
    nope. they only see 2 servers if they point to the others.
    Which is very very odd, IMO.

    The two DA's have the DABackup file, with the same date/timestamp and the file contents are the same.

    WTH?
  • How ist
    net.slp.DABackupLocalReg
    set on s1 and s3?
    What do you get on s1 and s3 on unicasting to themselves? And do you have bindery entries for all three boxes in the backup file?
    And please report the settings for
    HWCLOCK and SYSTOHC in /etc/sysconfig/clock along with
    NTPD_FORCE_SYNC_ON_STARTUP and NTPD_FORCE_SYNC_HWCLOCK_ON_STARTUP from /etc/sysconfig/ntp
  • mathiasbraun;2500687 wrote:
    How ist
    net.slp.DABackupLocalReg
    set on s1 and s3?
    What do you get on s1 and s3 on unicasting to themselves? And do you have bindery entries for all three boxes in the backup file?
    And please report the settings for
    HWCLOCK and SYSTOHC in /etc/sysconfig/clock along with
    NTPD_FORCE_SYNC_ON_STARTUP and NTPD_FORCE_SYNC_HWCLOCK_ON_STARTUP from /etc/sysconfig/ntp


    If I'm reading the slp.conf file correctly:

    the:
    net.slp.DABackupLocalReg is not set (there's no line item mentioning that that's not commented out) so I think it defaults to:
    false?

    Server1:
    Querying it's NCP IP:
    Sees all 3 servers

    Querying it's "LDAP" IP:
    Sees all 3 servers


    Server3:
    querying it's NCP IP:
    see's all 3 servers

    Querying it's LDAP IP:
    see's nothing (which makes sense since that server is restricted to just the NCP IP)


    Server1 DABackup file:
    only contains Server2 and Server3 bindery.novell entries

    Server3 DABackup file:
    only contains Server2 and Server1 bindery.novell entries



    Server1:
    HWCLOCK="-u"
    SYSTOHC="yes"
    NTPD_FORCE_SYNC_ON_STARTUP="no"
    NTPD_FORCE_SYNC_HWCLOCK_ON_STARTUP="no"


    Server3:
    HWCLOCK="-u"
    SYSTOHC="yes"
    NTPD_FORCE_SYNC_ON_STARTUP="no"
    NTPD_FORCE_SYNC_HWCLOCK_ON_STARTUP="no"
  • mathiasbraun;2500687 wrote:
    How ist
    net.slp.DABackupLocalReg
    set on s1 and s3?
    What do you get on s1 and s3 on unicasting to themselves? And do you have bindery entries for all three boxes in the backup file?
    And please report the settings for
    HWCLOCK and SYSTOHC in /etc/sysconfig/clock along with
    NTPD_FORCE_SYNC_ON_STARTUP and NTPD_FORCE_SYNC_HWCLOCK_ON_STARTUP from /etc/sysconfig/ntp


    If I'm reading the slp.conf file correctly:

    the:
    net.slp.DABackupLocalReg is not set (there's no line item mentioning that that's not commented out) so I think it defaults to:
    false?

    Server1:
    Querying it's NCP IP:
    Sees all 3 servers

    Querying it's "LDAP" IP:
    Sees all 3 servers


    Server3:
    querying it's NCP IP:
    see's all 3 servers

    Querying it's LDAP IP:
    see's nothing (which makes sense since that server is restricted to just the NCP IP)


    Server1 DABackup file:
    only contains Server2 and Server3 bindery.novell entries

    Server3 DABackup file:
    only contains Server2 and Server1 bindery.novell entries



    Server1:
    HWCLOCK="-u"
    SYSTOHC="yes"
    NTPD_FORCE_SYNC_ON_STARTUP="no"
    NTPD_FORCE_SYNC_HWCLOCK_ON_STARTUP="no"


    Server3:
    HWCLOCK="-u"
    SYSTOHC="yes"
    NTPD_FORCE_SYNC_ON_STARTUP="no"
    NTPD_FORCE_SYNC_HWCLOCK_ON_STARTUP="no"
Reply
  • mathiasbraun;2500687 wrote:
    How ist
    net.slp.DABackupLocalReg
    set on s1 and s3?
    What do you get on s1 and s3 on unicasting to themselves? And do you have bindery entries for all three boxes in the backup file?
    And please report the settings for
    HWCLOCK and SYSTOHC in /etc/sysconfig/clock along with
    NTPD_FORCE_SYNC_ON_STARTUP and NTPD_FORCE_SYNC_HWCLOCK_ON_STARTUP from /etc/sysconfig/ntp


    If I'm reading the slp.conf file correctly:

    the:
    net.slp.DABackupLocalReg is not set (there's no line item mentioning that that's not commented out) so I think it defaults to:
    false?

    Server1:
    Querying it's NCP IP:
    Sees all 3 servers

    Querying it's "LDAP" IP:
    Sees all 3 servers


    Server3:
    querying it's NCP IP:
    see's all 3 servers

    Querying it's LDAP IP:
    see's nothing (which makes sense since that server is restricted to just the NCP IP)


    Server1 DABackup file:
    only contains Server2 and Server3 bindery.novell entries

    Server3 DABackup file:
    only contains Server2 and Server1 bindery.novell entries



    Server1:
    HWCLOCK="-u"
    SYSTOHC="yes"
    NTPD_FORCE_SYNC_ON_STARTUP="no"
    NTPD_FORCE_SYNC_HWCLOCK_ON_STARTUP="no"


    Server3:
    HWCLOCK="-u"
    SYSTOHC="yes"
    NTPD_FORCE_SYNC_ON_STARTUP="no"
    NTPD_FORCE_SYNC_HWCLOCK_ON_STARTUP="no"
Children
No Data