Can't Create Pools or Volumes

After a number of attempts over an extended period, I have finally succeeded in setting up a new Novell Suse Linux server with OES (SLES 11 SP3 with OES11 SP2). I did it mainly to prove that I could, having used Netware and then NOWS SBE for a time, and I still have a Maintenance / Support agreement for NOWS. As much as anything its so I can learn more about the NOWS product.

Now however, I've struck a bit of an impasse. I can log into iManager as well as Remote Manager. OES shows me that I have a SYS volume and a PUBLIC volume, and I thought I should create another volume in which I would create folders for Users, Shared Data, GroupWise etc. However, first one needs a Pool to create a volume in, and that's where I seem to be snookered. When I try to create a new Pool (in iManager), after nominating the server and a valid Pool name I'm told: "Error: Unable to find sufficient space for the request". When I set it up I did not impose any space restrictions and it appears to me that there's 219gb of free space reported. I can happily create new folders in the existing SYS or Public volumes.

Is this not what I should be capable of doing, or what am I doing wrong?

Thanks for any guidance.
Jerome
  • Hi Jerome,

The free space that you are using, is it a separate partition/disk on the server, or are you pointing to free space on the "root" partition where the operating system is installed?

The PUBLIC and SYS volumes are not true NSS volumes.

Cheers,
  • Hey Jerome,

Along with Laura's suggestions, the nssmu console tool works on OES as it does on NetWare.

Where is that 219GB if space? If you have an extra disk that you have intended to run your NSS volume(s) on, maybe it still needs to be initialized. I personally also find nssmu a much clearer tool to do NSS management with than iManager.

Cheers,
    Willem
  • Perhaps I don't have a good enough understanding of Linux and OES file structures, and whether I have NSS volumes or NCP (?) directories. I know I'd prefer NSS.

By way of explanation, this is an IBM X series server with 2 x 250 GB SATA drives in RAID1.

At the server, File System root, I can see the folders Admin, _admin, bin, boot, dev, etc, home, lib and so on. I can check the properties of each and it also shows 219gb free.

I will try to run NSSMU to see what I can learn from that. Any other suggestions are most welcome.

Jerome
  • Hi Jerome,

The free space that is being reported is on your root partition where you have installed the operating system. You will not be able to create NSS volumes using this free space as it is already partitioned off and formatted with a different file system.

Add another disk and use that for you NSS volumes.

Cheers,
  • Hello Laura,

am I not able to reclaim some of that free space by reducing the amount allocated to the operating system? I suppose you're going to say I can only do that with a re-install, during which I would need to nominate a maximum of say 50GB for the OS....?

Thanks for your help

Jerome
  • Hi Jerome,

Unfortunately you are correct - a reinstall is required.

Cheers,
  • laurabuckley;2325471 wrote:
    Hi Jerome,

Unfortunately you are correct - a reinstall is required.

Cheers,

Well, there is the option of shrinking the current root partition (using something like a Gparted liveCD) to be able to claim the then gained free space on the drive.
    But if that's possible will also depend on if you have not already configured 4 primary partitions for the mount points you've created during install (as you need to be able to create a new primary partition as NLVM type that will hold the NSS pool and volumes).

Might be simpler to do a reinstall :)

Cheers,
    Willem
  • Well it was quicker and easier to do a complete reinstall.

This was successful, and I have been able to create a Pool and NSS volumes.

I've even ben able to install GroupWise 2014 on the SUSE side of things, but I can't connect to it from a client: but that's a question for a different forum> Thanks for those who have helped me thus far.

Jerome
  • zexec4;2326046 wrote:
    ...able to install GroupWise 2014 on the SUSE side of things, but I can't connect to it from a client: but that's a question for a different forum> Thanks for those who have helped me thus far.

A quick hint would be to check if the firewall is still enabled (with "SuSEfirewall status" or YaST). If that is the case and depending on what you want, either stop and disable the firewall from starting or configure the firewall to let through the GW client ports that have been set on the POA.

If that's not it, indeed best to carry on with a new thread in the GW forums. :)

Cheers,
    Willem