OES client corrupts windows 10 login

I installed the latest OES client on an hp notebook twice and after re-booting I could not login to windows. I get Username or password invalid, I rebooted in safe mode and used restore to get my login to work.  I did this two times.

I need the client installed so can anyone help with this issue?

Thank you!

Parents

•  wrote:

I need the client installed so can anyone help with this issue?

You don't provide any details to assist with a diagnosis...

1. What version of Windows are you using? 
    2. What version of the OES client did you install?
    3. Did you try a computer only logon and/or a network login?
    4. Does the OES client work on a different computer?
    5. Do the Windows Event Logs contain any useful clues?
    6. What other information do you think might be helpful?
  • Thank you Mr. Boyle,

The subject clearly states Windows 10 and I did say "Windows" login so I assumed it would be evident I was not referring to network however since the login by default is both I see I should have made it clear that I was talking about local pc login only.and I should have stated it is win 10 pro

The windows version is latest update and so is the client.

I have 3 workstations running the same client, 2 win 10 pro and one win 7pro

I don't think I can review the logs because as I said I restored the notebook to a previous version so I could login. SO let me please reiterate the issue more clearly.

Windows 10 Pro   latest version all updates
    OES 2 SP4 ir10 client
    hp Notebook 64 bit

1. Installed OES client
    2. Re-booted
    3 Attempt to login to local pc only
    4.  Presented Invalid credentials statement
    5 RE-booted into safe mode
    6 Restored notebook to previous version.
    7. Tried again same results

• Have you tried the latest Client for OES, SP5 IR2?  Here is the link:

https://download.novell.com/Download?buildid=qomWLPpJ26Q~

• Are you sure that you're entering the correct user name / password?

I had a similar case one year ago and it was due to a misunderstanding about the user to use when oes client was installed. 

• SP4IR10 is for sure not the latest version of the client which can be found here

http://download.novell.com/Download?buildid=qomWLPpJ26Q~

Here's a little history writeup

https://support.microfocus.com/kb/doc.php?id=7016351

And while it's very unlikely related, depending on the hardware this one

https://support.microfocus.com/kb/doc.php?id=7024100

might be worth a try.

• Thank you, I recently downloaded SP4IR10 so I thought it was the latest, now I wonder if I was not on Microfocus site when I downloaded it, Either way it did not cause me any trouble on my three workstations so it may be in fact a hardware issue,
    I will try installing this latest version later today and report back.

•  wrote:

Are you sure that you're entering the correct user name / password?

I had a similar case one year ago and it was due to a misunderstanding about the user to use when oes client was installed. 

I'll second this one.  The only time I have seen an invalid credentials error with the OES client is in fact when the user was entering the wrong credentials.  The OES client does not create local user accounts, so when doing a local login, you must use valid local credentials.

• I would never disregard someone's suggestion of this as a possibility however because of that I made certain I was using the proper credentials before I posted the message, SO, yes, I am definitely using the proper user name and password.

This is what I have accomplished thus far,

I installed the latest version of the client provided in links in this thread.

Rebooted as required

Attempted  local login only

Same result: Invalid username or password

At this point I decided to login to the Novell Network (NW6.5 SBS SP8)

Successfully logged into network as reported by login script but no access to windows

Attempted login to windows using a second account I previously set up with admin rights.\

Successful however I do not see an option to change the password of the main windows admin account.

Tried switching user to original login, Same result Invalid username or password.

Rebooted machine, same result so I used second user account and restored computer again so I could access my main profile,

I "Could" just use the 2nd user id but then I would have to do an awful lot of re-configuring so that is a last resort

Clearly the OES Client install corrupted the original user login credentials. Unless someone has a fix for this, I will try to use "Forensit"    or some such utility to copy the original profile to the second user I created.

I would much rather have a better solution. I think if I could change the original user password from the second account I would be able to login with it.

Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated. I am always very grateful for those who offer their time to help others, If I recall correctly Mr. Boyle has been around on several forums for a long time helping lots of people.

•  

I take it you are unable to log an SR?

• Please forgive my ignorance, I am not sure what you are referring to.. SR?

• My apologies.

I mean a support ticket or SR (Service Request) so we can investigate further...

• I don't know what happens on this forum but even with saving drafts enabled, I posted a lengthy update and it is gone... I will re-write it with libre office and then re-post,,

Reply Children
  •  

Something appears to be wrong with the forum software. I will report it.

I'm getting email notifications with your posts so they are being accepted but are not showing up in the forum.

•   Indeed.

I saw your long reply via email but seems to have gone missing from the forums!!

• Maybe I am doing something that messes it up?????   ?

If you have the message I wrote in your email please post it back on the forum.

• In case this helps find out whats wrong with the forum software, the message I was making edits to the post when it disappeared.

This basically what I had posted but I am not going to re-write my entire post that disappeared but here is a summary of what matters.

Yes, I verified the credentials I am using are correct. I did that before starting this thread.

I installed the latest client from the link provided here. Same result.

I selected network login and successfully logged into the NetWare 6.5 SBS SP8 server using NDS

No access to windows though, (my windows login credentials are not the same as my network login for this notebook)

I successfully logged into windows while still logged into the server with a second windows account I created prior to installing the client.

The second user has admin rights also but I do not see an option to change the password for the first admin account. I wonder if maybe I could change the password of the original account,that I might be able to login again with it.

•  Your Original post

I would never disregard someone's suggestion of this as a possibility however because of that I made certain I was using the proper credentials before I posted the message, SO, yes, I am definitely using the proper user name and password.

This is what I have accomplished thus far,

I installed the latest version of the client provided in links in this thread.

Rebooted as required

Attempted  local login only

Same result: Invalid username or password

At this point I decided to login to the Novell Network (NW6.5 SBS SP8)

Successfully logged into network as reported by login script but no access to windows

Attempted login to windows using a second account I previously set up with admin rights.\

Successful however I do not see an option to change the password of the main windows admin account.

Tried switching users to original login, Same result Invalid username or password.

Rebooted machine, same result so I used second user account and restored computer agin so I could access my main profile,

I "Could" just use the 2nd user id but then I would have to do an awful lot of re-configuring so that is a last result.

Clearly the OES Client install corrupted the original user login credentials. Unless someone has a fix for this, I will try to use "Forensit" https://www.forensit.com/domain-migration.html   or some such utility to copy the original profile to the second user I created.

I would much rather have a better solution. I think if I could change the original user password from the second account I would be able to login with it.

Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated. I am always very grateful for those who offer their time to help others, If I recall correctly Mr. Boyle has been around on several forums for a long time helping lots of people.

•  wrote:

Your Original post

Yes, I have been around for a while...

I have followed this thread and see that a number of knowledgeable individuals have being trying to help you including Knowledge Partners and Micro Focus staff. 

The suggestion that is likely to produce the best results is the one that  made about opening an SR. 

You mentioned you are using NetWare 6.5 which, of course, is out of support. If you have any OES servers, and current maintenance, you can open a Service Request (a ticket) with Micro Focus tech support and they will provide some hands on support.

Other than that we can continue to offer suggestions for you to explore.

You reported this issue first occurred when you installed the OES client and concluded the OES client was at fault. Also, because you posted in an OES forum it is only natural that we first consider that to be the issue. But what if it is not?

If the install of the OES client is impacting Windows logons, I would expect it to affect all logons but you say the some do work. Is it possible that this is a Windows issue? Perhaps your main Windows profile became corrupted somehow before you installed the OES client?

• Again, I would suggest you have a look for errors and warnings in the Windows event log, not just those related to the OES client but anything that might seem out of place.
    • It wouldn't hurt to verify that there have been no unintentional code modifications. From an elevated command prompt (run as administrator) run this command:
      sfc /scannow

It would help us to better understand your Windows configuration:

• How many Windows profiles do you have?
    • Which ones have administrator privileges?
    • What is different about the Windows profile that appears to be working?

Have you tried to install the OES client from a different Windows profile?

•  

Additional suggestions...

Does Windows use the same username/password that your NetWare account does? You could try to create a new Windows account that does and see what happens when you try a Windows only and a network logon.

If you can't logon because you think the OES install somehow changed your password you can try this to to confirm that theory:

If your main account has administrator privileges, login to another account that does not have administrator privileges. Right click on your computer and select Manage. This requires administrator privileges. Use the credentials from your main account. If authentication works, your passwords are fine and trying to change them will not likely make any difference.

At this point we are looking for clues. Any additional insight we obtain is helpful.

• Another wild guess:

if you login to Windows 10 as the  cloud user (not a local only) , Windows 10 generates an account name from your "Firstname Lastname" something like "FirLastname". This is the Windows 10 account then.

• Thanks,  and  for finding the bug. We'll be looking into it.

• More information about the issue in case you missed it. I was performing edits to the post when it diapered, Perhaps some key stroke or inadvertent click triggered the forum software to delete the post. I would try to duplicate the problem if there was a sub forum or another place here to do so without being a nuisance. Let me know if you would like me to try.