Storage on SLES 10 sp3 OES sp3 box...

I login to iManager (ANY iManager) and go to Storage, then Pools and select a certian server, and it just hangs there. I have to kill the session in the browser, and start over. If I select another server, its all good. I will probably SP4 the sles 10, and reboot one of these weekends. Othewise the server is running, volumes accessible, no issuses at all. Should I be concerned?
  • Try
    #~ rcnovell-httpstkd restart

    This will not effect anything except iManager...

    Tom
  • In article <tbundy427.577kop@no-mx.forums.novell.com>, Tbundy427 wrote:
    > Othewise the server is running, volumes accessible, no issuses
    > at all. Should I be concerned?
    >

    Concern might be any funky messages in the log files. In this case
    focus on these two.
    /var/log/messages
    /var/opt/novell/log/ncpserv.log


    Andy Konecny
    KonecnyConsulting.ca in Toronto
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Andy's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=75037


  • On 01.02.2012 15:06, bwisupport wrote:
    >
    > Try
    > #~ rcnovell-httpstkd restart
    >
    > This will not effect anything except iManager...


    Common misconception. iManager has absolutely no connection whatsoever
    to httpstkd, nor does remote manager (which is what httpstkd serves),
    any connection whatsoever to Apache or tomcat (the other very common
    misconception). ;)

    CU,
    --
    Massimo Rosen
    Novell Knowledge Partner
    No emails please!
    http://www.cfc-it.de
  • Sorry, my fault. I meant rcnovell-tomcat5...

    Tom
  • Hi.

    On 31.01.2012 15:16, tbundy427 wrote:
    >
    > I login to iManager (ANY iManager) and go to Storage, then Pools and
    > select a certian server, and it just hangs there. I have to kill the
    > session in the browser, and start over. If I select another server, its
    > all good. I will probably SP4 the sles 10, and reboot one of these
    > weekends. Othewise the server is running, volumes accessible, no issuses
    > at all. Should I be concerned?


    Advice 1:

    DO NOT USE IMANAGER TO DO STORAGE MANAGEMENT! Sorry for shouting, but
    storage management is a low level, critcal activity. You do not want it
    to go "oops" because of some problem in one of the several million lines
    of code of your browser, apache, tomcat, or owcimomd (which is what
    iManager talks to in the end on the final server). Use the local, low
    level, simple tool *on* the server you want to manage, e.g NSSMU.

    As for your issue: openwbem (rcowcimomd status or restart on the problem
    server) on the problem server has a problem. Bad guys say, openwbem *is*
    a problem per se, which Novell has recognized too, and it isn't used any
    more in OES11.

    CU,
    --
    Massimo Rosen
    Novell Knowledge Partner
    No emails please!
    http://www.cfc-it.de
  • While I don't disagree that NSSMU is faster, if iMan is prone to going "oops" then perhaps someone should tell Novell that so that they can correct the problem AND fix their own documentation.

    For example, Novell's documentation for expanding a LUN/Pool in a cluster specifically has you use iManager only. They don't even list the option to use NSSMU.
    At least in OES2 SP3 (pages 180-191 of the NCS 1.8.8. Admin Guide for Linux, section 12.13).

    There are other sections of the Storage docs where Novell clearly says you can use either tool. I'm not sure if the NCS docs are just an oversight and you CAN safely use NSSMU to do everything, but if the docs say to use ABC to do XYZ and give no other option (whereas other parts they DO give you the option) I err on the side of caution.

    I did submit documentation feedback, BTW, inquiring as to whether NSSMU can be used and this just got left out, or if there was a reason they only listed iMan to do this. Haven't heard back (this was about 2 weeks ago).
  • And ironically in the same docs in section 12.13.4 (pages 187-190) they have you use NSSMU for one particular item, and then iMan for the rest. Not sure why they'd have the particular step 3f of using NSSMU, but it does seem strange that they want specific tool for specific things in this case.
  • In ncpserv.log I see some of these:
    [! 2012-01-31 09:08:13] nssGetUserSpaceRestriction: MapIDToDN id=0x000080a1 failed rc=-663
    [! 2012-01-31 09:08:13] nssGetUserSpaceRestriction: MapIDToDN id=0x000080a1 failed rc=-663
    [! 2012-01-31 09:08:13] nssGetUserSpaceRestriction: MapIDToDN id=0x000080a1 failed rc=-663
    [! 2012-01-31 09:08:13] nssGetUserSpaceRestriction: MapIDToDN id=0x000080a1 failed rc=-663
    [! 2012-01-31 09:08:13] nssGetUserSpaceRestriction: MapIDToDN id=0x000080a1 failed rc=-663

    and these:

    [! 2012-02-02 10:20:08] MapGUIDToRemoteDN: could not Map GUID To DN remote search failed
    [! 2012-02-02 10:20:08] MapGUIDToRemoteDN: could not Map GUID To DN remote search failed
  • The only thing I wantd to do with iManager is to simply view "booked" disk space. I usually prefer NSSMU to change things.
  • Thanks, this fixed the issue. I see the "booked" space on the volumes now...



    mrosen;2172669 wrote:

    As for your issue: openwbem (rcowcimomd status or restart on the problem
    server) on the problem server has a problem. Bad guys say, openwbem *is*
    a problem per se, which Novell has recognized too, and it isn't used any
    more in OES11.

    CU,
    --
    Massimo Rosen
    Novell Knowledge Partner
    No emails please!
    Untitled Document