New OES11 install and /var filling up

OESll sp1 on VMware ESXi 5.1, plenty of RAM and processing power

We've had our new OES11 sp1 server up for about 3 weeks. We got an error stating /var was getting full, so I deleted a bunch of migration project files. Now the error has returned. "/var/opt/novell/imanager/nps" is the major offender; however, I'm not sure what to clean nor a "safe" way to do it. "/var" is it's own 4GB volume. I get this error when there's about 100MB left. What to do?
  • elphantasmo;2271207 wrote:
    OESll sp1 on VMware ESXi 5.1, plenty of RAM and processing power

We've had our new OES11 sp1 server up for about 3 weeks. We got an error stating /var was getting full, so I deleted a bunch of migration project files. Now the error has returned. "/var/opt/novell/imanager/nps" is the major offender; however, I'm not sure what to clean nor a "safe" way to do it. "/var" is it's own 4GB volume. I get this error when there's about 100MB left. What to do?

4GB could work but is quite small to size /var (assuming there are no other mounts defined for directories below /var). As eDirectory and other vital bits of the server's running OS code is running in subfolder of /var I always give this mount plenty of room (usually 12 GB). Do you have any options to expand the partition holding /var's mount point?

To quickly do a (as root) search for largest directories under /var, do a "du -a /var | sort -n -r | head -n 10".

-Willem
  • Thanks, that's pointed me in a better direction.

Silly me... The project files I "deleted" sat in the ".Trash-0" folder, so I manually delete all the files in the folder. It freed up quite a bit of space.