Novell Client 2 Install Problem on Win7 32-bit VMware VM

Hello...

I've got a new Windows 7 32-bit VMware virutal machine that's been fully patched with the latest Microsoft patches except for IE9. So far, I have tried installing Novell Client 2 SP2 IR2a, Novell Client 2 SP2, and Novell Client 2 SP1 IR9a, and all have had the same issue. When I extract the package and then either launch setup.exe manually or have the unzip program do it for me, I never get a splash screen for the install and if I watch Task Manager, I'll see setup.exe spawn itself over and over. I have also tried right-clicking setup.exe and choosing Run As Administrator on each of the three versions but I'm seeing the same results. I do have this particular machine joined to a Windows AD domain and so the only thing I haven't really tried yet, short of continuing to go back in version, is to remove the machine from the AD domain and then try the Client 2 install.

Has anyone else encountered this issue before? Some sort conflict with VMware tools, perhaps? Any ideas appreciated...thanks!


Dan
  • I know I've installed SP1 versions of the client under VMWare perfectly fine in the past, although I couldn't swear it was a 32bit version of Win7. Do you get the "323 files unzipped successfully" dialog? Have you used the same download to successfully install on a physical machine?
  • dbruss wrote:

    >
    > Hello...
    >
    > I've got a new Windows 7 32-bit VMware virutal machine that's been
    > fully patched with the latest Microsoft patches except for IE9. So far,
    > I have tried installing Novell Client 2 SP2 IR2a, Novell Client 2 SP2,
    > and Novell Client 2 SP1 IR9a, and all have had the same issue. When I
    > extract the package and then either launch setup.exe manually or have
    > the unzip program do it for me, I never get a splash screen for the
    > install and if I watch Task Manager, I'll see setup.exe spawn itself
    > over and over. I have also tried right-clicking setup.exe and choosing
    > Run As Administrator on each of the three versions but I'm seeing the
    > same results. I do have this particular machine joined to a Windows AD
    > domain and so the only thing I haven't really tried yet, short of
    > continuing to go back in version, is to remove the machine from the AD
    > domain and then try the Client 2 install.
    >
    > Has anyone else encountered this issue before? Some sort conflict with
    > VMware tools, perhaps? Any ideas appreciated...thanks!
    >
    >
    > Dan
    >
    >


    I also have it working just fine using 64 bit. All patches as well.
  • Looks like this was a permissions issue on the local machine. I have a GPO in AD that makes a certain group a member of the Local Administrators group. Turns out, that GPO wasn't working properly and so the user account I was logging in with was not a Local Administrator for the Windows box. Once I fixed that, I installed Novell Client 2 SP2 IR2a without any other problems.

    Thanks to those that replied and I hope that this will help someone in the future!


    Dan
  • dbruss <dbruss@no-mx.forums.novell.com> wrote:

    > Looks like this was a permissions issue on the local machine. I have a
    > GPO in AD that makes a certain group a member of the Local
    > Administrators group. Turns out, that GPO wasn't working properly and
    > so the user account I was logging in with was not a Local Administrator
    > for the Windows box. Once I fixed that, I installed Novell Client 2 SP2
    > IR2a without any other problems.
    >
    > Thanks to those that replied and I hope that this will help someone in
    > the future!


    For what it's worth, the issue of "SETUP.EXE continuously re-spawns
    itself when launched as a non-Administrators user when UAC is
    disabled" is an issue scheduled to be addressed in the future IR3
    release (barring any unforeseen testing or interaction complications).
    Look for a reference to Bug 754701 in the fix list for IR3 or a future
    IR release.

    (There was an issue in the handling of UAC which failed to engage and
    detect when the UAC elevation attempt had already occurred
    unsuccessfully, such as when UAC is disabled. So each instance of
    SETUP.EXE kept deciding "the next thing that needs to happen is an
    elevation attempt", hence the infinite re-spawning.)

    Alan Adams
    Novell Client CPR Group
    alan.adams@novell.com

    Novell
    Making IT Work As One
    www.novell.com

    Upgrade to OES Community
    http://www.novell.com/communities/coolsolutions/upgradetooes/