Upgrade from NW 65.sp3 to nw6.5sp5 , imanager now failing

I recently upgraded an NW6.5 sp3 box to NW6.5 sp5. When trying to open the
Welcome screen, or imanager directly, I get the following:

__
Service unavailable!

The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to maintenance
downtime or capacity problems. Please try again later.

If you think this is a server error, please contact the webmaster.
Error 503

Tuesday, March 28, 2006 10:45:52
Apache/2.0.54 (NETWARE) mod_jk/1.2.14
__


NetStorage is also not acting properly. Any recommendations as far as how
to diagnose this issue?

Thanks,

Nathan





  • nbroome@nospam.yahoo.com wrote:

    > I recently upgraded an NW6.5 sp3 box to NW6.5 sp5. When trying to
    > open the Welcome screen, or imanager directly, I get the following:



    Sounds like a tomcat error. Please check the error log of tomcat and
    apache.

    --
    Cheers,
    Edward
  • nbroome@nospam.yahoo.com wrote:

    >Error 503


    Like Edward already said, this means that Tomcat is not running on your
    server. The quickest way to get debugging information with this problem is
    to go to the server console and do the following:

    Execute the following command at the server console:
    TC4STOP

    Wait for a minute and then execute the following command:
    TOMCAT

    Now switch to the logger screen and see what errors you get. Try saving
    the logger screen (F2) and post the tail of it starting with the moment
    you executed the TOMCAT4 command here in this thread.


    --
    Marcel Cox (using XanaNews 1.18.1.2)
  • > nbroome@nospam.yahoo.com wrote:
    >
    > >Error 503

    >
    > Like Edward already said, this means that Tomcat is not running on your
    > server. The quickest way to get debugging information with this problem

    is
    > to go to the server console and do the following:
    >
    > Execute the following command at the server console:
    > TC4STOP
    >
    > Wait for a minute and then execute the following command:
    > TOMCAT


    > Now switch to the logger screen and see what errors you get. Try saving
    > the logger screen (F2) and post the tail of it starting with the moment
    > you executed the TOMCAT4 command here in this thread.
    >
    >
    > --
    > Marcel Cox (using XanaNews 1.18.1.2)

    I am gettting the EXACT same error message except we upgraded from sp3 to
    sp4. I brought this issue to the magicians at Brainshare and without being
    able to see it for themselves, they were not able to help. If a resolution
    comes up I will be glad to see it.
  • > nbroome@nospam.yahoo.com wrote:
    >
    > >Error 503

    >
    > Like Edward already said, this means that Tomcat is not running on your
    > server. The quickest way to get debugging information with this problem

    is
    > to go to the server console and do the following:
    >
    > Execute the following command at the server console:
    > TC4STOP
    >
    > Wait for a minute and then execute the following command:
    > TOMCAT
    >

    After doing a tc4stop and then loading Tomcat this is what appears:

    Module PERL.NLM load status OK
    Using CATALINA_BASE: sys:/tomcat/4
    Using CATALINA_HOME: sys:/tomcat/4
    Using CATALINA_TMPDIR: sys:/tomcat/4/temp
    Using JAVA_HOME: SYS:\java
    Doing a stop
    Error occurred during initialization of VM
    Could not reserve enough space for object heap
    java: Class org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap exited with status -9

    tccheck: LDAP is not up yet; waiting
    LDAP connectivity not found on ldap://localhost:636
    Please load NLDAP and then manually execute command: sys:/tomcat/4/bin/
    startup

    If your server host certificates have change recently, executing
    sys:/system/tckeygen.ncf may be needed to restore secure LDAP
    connectivity
    Java: Class com.novell.application.tomcat.util.tccheck.LDAPVerifier
    exited successfully
    > Now switch to the logger screen and see what errors you get. Try saving
    > the logger screen (F2) and post the tail of it starting with the moment
    > you executed the TOMCAT4 command here in this thread.
    >
    >
    > --
    > Marcel Cox (using XanaNews 1.18.1.2)


  • > nbroome@nospam.yahoo.com wrote:
    >
    > >Error 503

    >
    > Like Edward already said, this means that Tomcat is not running on your
    > server. The quickest way to get debugging information with this problem

    is
    > to go to the server console and do the following:
    >
    > Execute the following command at the server console:
    > TC4STOP
    >
    > Wait for a minute and then execute the following command:
    > TOMCAT
    >

    After doing a tc4stop and then loading Tomcat this is what appears:

    Module PERL.NLM load status OK
    Using CATALINA_BASE: sys:/tomcat/4
    Using CATALINA_HOME: sys:/tomcat/4
    Using CATALINA_TMPDIR: sys:/tomcat/4/temp
    Using JAVA_HOME: SYS:\java
    Doing a stop
    Error occurred during initialization of VM
    Could not reserve enough space for object heap
    java: Class org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap exited with status -9

    tccheck: LDAP is not up yet; waiting
    LDAP connectivity not found on ldap://localhost:636
    Please load NLDAP and then manually execute command: sys:/tomcat/4/bin/
    startup

    If your server host certificates have change recently, executing
    sys:/system/tckeygen.ncf may be needed to restore secure LDAP
    connectivity
    Java: Class com.novell.application.tomcat.util.tccheck.LDAPVerifier
    exited successfully
    > Now switch to the logger screen and see what errors you get. Try saving
    > the logger screen (F2) and post the tail of it starting with the moment
    > you executed the TOMCAT4 command here in this thread.
    >
    >
    > --
    > Marcel Cox (using XanaNews 1.18.1.2)


  • dmw@hmpayson.com wrote:

    >Could not reserve enough space for object heap


    Ok, that indicates a memory problem. Are you using the -u... parameter to
    start your server.exe ? A common problem is that the -u paramater is tuned
    for an older support pack and with the new support pack, the value chosen
    is no longer appropriate and causes some programs to fail to load.
    Edit your AUTOEXEC.NCF and remove the -u option in the line loading
    server.exe if there is such an option. If that helps getting iManager to
    work, let the server run for a couple of days, and then use MEMCALC.NLM to
    retune your server to your current configuration. See
    http://www.novell.com/coolsolutions/tools/17101.html for details.

    --
    Marcel Cox (using XanaNews 1.18.1.2)
  • dmw@hmpayson.com wrote:

    >Could not reserve enough space for object heap


    Ok, that indicates a memory problem. Are you using the -u... parameter to
    start your server.exe ? A common problem is that the -u paramater is tuned
    for an older support pack and with the new support pack, the value chosen
    is no longer appropriate and causes some programs to fail to load.
    Edit your AUTOEXEC.NCF and remove the -u option in the line loading
    server.exe if there is such an option. If that helps getting iManager to
    work, let the server run for a couple of days, and then use MEMCALC.NLM to
    retune your server to your current configuration. See
    http://www.novell.com/coolsolutions/tools/17101.html for details.

    --
    Marcel Cox (using XanaNews 1.18.1.2)
  • dmw@hmpayson.com wrote:

    > Could not reserve enough space for object heap
    > java: Class org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap exited with
    > status -9
    > tccheck: LDAP is not up yet; waiting
    > LDAP connectivity not found on ldap://localhost:636
    > Please load NLDAP and then manually execute command:
    > sys:/tomcat/4/bin/ startup


    Tomcat cannot connect to port 636 as LDAP is probably not listening to
    it due to a invalid or missing certificate.

    Please check your LDAP server object to make sure you have valid
    certificate. Run pkidiag on your server.

    If pkidiag fixes your certs make sure LDAP uses the correct one and
    reload NLDAP.NLM. Check with tcpcon | Protocol info | TCP if ldap is
    listening to port 636.

    If that is done run tckeygen and restart tomcat.

    As Marcel said, you also have a memory problem.

    --
    Cheers,
    Edward
  • When I ran pkidiag I got the following message:
    The DNS name in KMO SSL CertificateDNS does not match the default DNS name
    for the server. Sure enough the default DNS name is newserver.hmp.local and
    the LDAP server has newserver.hmp
    Is there any harm in changing the name of the default DNS name or is this
    dangerous?
    Please advise.
    Thank you

    > dmw@hmpayson.com wrote:
    >
    > > Could not reserve enough space for object heap
    > > java: Class org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap exited with
    > > status -9
    > > tccheck: LDAP is not up yet; waiting
    > > LDAP connectivity not found on ldap://localhost:636
    > > Please load NLDAP and then manually execute command:
    > > sys:/tomcat/4/bin/ startup

    >
    > Tomcat cannot connect to port 636 as LDAP is probably not listening to
    > it due to a invalid or missing certificate.
    >
    > Please check your LDAP server object to make sure you have valid
    > certificate. Run pkidiag on your server.
    >
    > If pkidiag fixes your certs make sure LDAP uses the correct one and
    > reload NLDAP.NLM. Check with tcpcon | Protocol info | TCP if ldap is
    > listening to port 636.
    >
    > If that is done run tckeygen and restart tomcat.
    >
    > As Marcel said, you also have a memory problem.
    >
    > --
    > Cheers,
    > Edward


  • The certificate should match the DNS name used by programs trying to
    connect to the server. If the name is incorrect in the certificate,
    clients trying to connect get an error or a warning. For web browsing
    through https, this is just annoying. However if you have applications
    that use secure ldap to connect to the server, an incorrect certificate
    will cause problem.

    --
    Marcel Cox (using XanaNews 1.18.1.2)