Novell Client on Windows 7 - login scripts

Hi folks,

Not sure if this is the correct newsgroup - please direct me to the
appropriate place if needed.

Am doing some testing with the Windows 7 Beta - has anyone had any success
with login scripts executing upon user login? I'm finding that I need to
login via the Novell system tray icon for my drive-mapping script to run.

Thanks,
Julian

Parents
  • 19 months from original post and this is still a problem.

Julian P;1778905 wrote:
    Hi folks,

Not sure if this is the correct newsgroup - please direct me to the
    appropriate place if needed.

Am doing some testing with the Windows 7 Beta - has anyone had any success
    with login scripts executing upon user login? I'm finding that I need to
    login via the Novell system tray icon for my drive-mapping script to run.

Thanks,
    Julian
  • Hi.

>19 months from original post and this is still a problem.

This ugly client 2 might finally turn out to be the tomb stone for a lot of Novell's
    products...

At one customer I'm still fighting. But the longer I do so, the more I feel the
    question coming up: Why?

Regards, Rudi.
  • After the random missing drive mapping issues kept happening after we updated to IR4, I opened an SR.

Here is the number SR#10662096181 in case anyone would like to reference it.

I think this is perhaps because the login script is running at the same time Explorer is loading, but who really knows. All I know is that we randomly have drives missing from Explorer. They are always available and connected however. I can open a command prompt and type start f:\ and our f: drive will load as will any others that aren't showing up in Explorer. It is really annoying.

We have 170 workstations deployed. Our users hate this issue. We have rolled out an icon to every classroom PC that runs login32.exe just so they can relogin and run the login script again. This always gets the drives back.

Here is what the Novell tech told us to try.

4.16 Login Script Execution Starts Before User's Desktop

"When logging in to both eDirectory and Windows through the credential provider of the Novell Client, the processing of login scripts stored in eDirectory now starts at the same time other login scripts are processed, such as the Windows user login script. This means that eDirectory login script execution will start (but not necessarily finish) before the user's Desktop is built.

In addition, existing Windows policies such as Run logon scripts synchronously now apply to how the Novell logon script execution will be handled. This appears to be the default behavior in Windows Server 2008 with Terminal Services, but the policy may need to be explicitly set in other Windows configurations.

If you require that logon script processing must finish before the user's desktop is built, you can enable this Windows policy in the Group Policy Editor (GPEDIT.MSC) under Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > System > Scripts > Run logon scripts synchronously. Note the same policy is also available as a User Configuration policy. "

Because it is so random it is really hard to say if this is fixing it or not. I've rolled out this new policy setting to 75 workstations and we are checking on it to make sure it won't cause other issues. Essentially this policy forces Windows 7 to mimic the way Windows XP has always run login scripts with Novell. It runs the script before Explorer loads the desktop. Hopefully this will do it. I'll post back here when I know more and things have been running a while.
  • * casutton (Thu, 18 Nov 2010 21:36:04 GMT)
    > I think this is perhaps because the login script is running at the
    > same time Explorer is loading, but who really knows. All I know is
    > that we randomly have drives missing from Explorer. They are always
    > available and connected however. I can open a command prompt and type
    > start f:\ and our f: drive will load as will any others that aren't
    > showing up in Explorer.

Drive mappings not showing is a classical symptom for UAC (Microsoft had
    the same issue with their login scripts). I'd also check this alltime
    fave: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/305293

Thorsten
  • casutton,

Please report back after you've run for a while with that fix. Luckily, I only have 4 Win7 machines vs 80 XP. However, those running Win7 are power users and are quite frustrated with the issues.

I also opened a ticket but they wanted a LAN trace which I haven't had time to get.

J

casutton;2047272 wrote:
    After the random missing drive mapping issues kept happening after we updated to IR4, I opened an SR.

I think this is perhaps because the login script is running at the same time Explorer is loading, but who really knows. All I know is that we randomly have drives missing from Explorer. They are always available and connected however. I can open a command prompt and type start f:\ and our f: drive will load as will any others that aren't showing up in Explorer. It is really annoying.

We have 170 workstations deployed. Our users hate this issue. We have rolled out an icon to every classroom PC that runs login32.exe just so they can relogin and run the login script again. This always gets the drives back.

Because it is so random it is really hard to say if this is fixing it or not. I've rolled out this new policy setting to 75 workstations and we are checking on it to make sure it won't cause other issues. Essentially this policy forces Windows 7 to mimic the way Windows XP has always run login scripts with Novell. It runs the script before Explorer loads the desktop. Hopefully this will do it. I'll post back here when I know more and things have been running a while.
  • Interestingly enough, I just discovered the same exact symptoms about a week ago. If you kill/restart explorer.exe the missing drives will show up in explorer and be accessible in applications. I already tried setting Login Scripts to Synchronous, and it hasn't really helped :(

I'll be opening an SR myself and referencing your case. Hopefully I can help add some weight to this matter.

casutton;2047272 wrote:
    After the random missing drive mapping issues kept happening after we updated to IR4, I opened an SR.

• I have only two Win7 nodes at my site, but so far I'm having successful drive mappings after I key in my Linux' IP on the Tree and Server parts of the Advanced form; I left the Context as appropriate.

Hoping this solution will survive SPs and other patches, but I'll let you know.

Best regards,
    Ed

casutton;2047272 wrote:

• I have only two Win7 nodes at my site, but so far I'm having successful drive mappings after I key in my Linux' IP on the Tree and Server parts of the Advanced form; I left the Context as appropriate.

Hoping this solution will survive SPs and other patches, but I'll let you know.

Best regards,
    Ed

casutton;2047272 wrote:

Children
  • Another disturbing logon script/drive mapping problem with Client 2 (even SP1 IR4): When logging on to a Windows 2008 R2 Terminal Server, the logon scripts run but somehow the drives are mapped "globally" instead of "locally" to the user's session.
    This means if user1 logs in and has a personal drive X: and afterwards user2 logs in to the same Terminal Server and his X: drive is mapped, user1 loses his X: drive...
    It looks like the drive mapping/logon scipt processing runs unde LocalSystem context instead of the user's context.

We already opened a call @ Novell 3 months ago (the call was originally about smart card login problems, but we added the description of the drive mapping problem afterwards). So far no news about that drive mapping problem on Terminal Server 2008 R2.