novell-pbserv status dead

Running ZCM 10.3.0 on four primary servers (SLES 10 SP3 64 bit)

Our first server in the zone (that also holds the certificate) often has problems with the service:
novell-pbserv. The services dies aprox. every 14 days. Sometimes once a week. The servers ip is 10.108.128.101. Never seen this problem on other primaries.

If I do a /etc/init.s/novell-pbserv status it reports:
Checking for Novell ZENwWorks Imaging Service: dead
A /etc/init.s/novell-pbserv stop

Tags:

• martinusen;2063462 wrote:

Our first server in the zone (that also holds the certificate) often has problems with the service:
    novell-pbserv. The services dies aprox. every 14 days. Sometimes once a week. The servers ip is 10.108.128.101. Never seen this problem on other primaries.

• ZCM is installed on standard ports...

/Anders
  • martinusen;2064229 wrote:
    ZCM is installed on standard ports...

/Anders

Can you post the output of /etc/opt/novell/zenworks/preboot/novell-zenimgweb.conf ?

Thomas
  • thsundel;2064230 wrote:
    Can you post the output of /etc/opt/novell/zenworks/preboot/novell-zenimgweb.conf ?

Novell-zenimgweb.conf:
    # Specify the HTTP server IPAddress 
    IPADDRESS=10.108.128.101

# HTTP port
    HTTP_PORT=80

# HTTPS port
    HTTPS_PORT=443

# Allow HTTP if HTTPS is not available
    CLEARTEXT=FALSE

# HTTP Service Path
    HTTP_PATH=/zenworks-preboot/

# Timer for Cache work to do incase of Satellite Server in milliseconds
    CACHETIMER=300000

BTW the service just died yesterday evening. There were no entries in the novell-pbserv.log, but /var/log/messages shows:
    Jan 12 23:08:44 zcm01 kernel: novell-pbservd[1412]: segfault at 0000000000000479 rip 00000000f7cd3b6a rsp 00000000f42faf54 error 4

/Anders
  • martinusen;2064252 wrote:
    Novell-zenimgweb.conf:
    IPADDRESS=10.108.128.101

# HTTP port
    HTTP_PORT=80

# HTTPS port
    HTTPS_PORT=443

CLEARTEXT=FALSE

# HTTP Service Path
    HTTP_PATH=/zenworks-preboot/

CACHETIMER=300000

BTW the service just died yesterday evening. There were no entries in the novell-pbserv.log, but /var/log/messages shows:
    Jan 12 23:08:44 zcm01 kernel: novell-pbservd[1412]: segfault at 0000000000000479 rip 00000000f7cd3b6a rsp 00000000f42faf54 error 4

/Anders

Our novell-zenimgweb.conf looks like this:

#IPADDRESS=XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX

# HTTP port
    #HTTP_PORT=80

# HTTPS port
    #HTTPS_PORT=443

#CLEARTEXT=FALSE

# HTTP Service Path
    #HTTP_PATH=/zenworks-preboot/

CACHETIMER=300000

You could try changing it as my conf and see if it helps.. I think it may be the CLEARTEXT=FALSE value that mig be causing this issue..

Thomas
  • thsundel;2064254 wrote:
    Our novell-zenimgweb.conf looks like this:

#IPADDRESS=XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX

# HTTP port
    #HTTP_PORT=80

# HTTPS port
    #HTTPS_PORT=443

#CLEARTEXT=FALSE

# HTTP Service Path
    #HTTP_PATH=/zenworks-preboot/

CACHETIMER=300000

You could try changing it as my conf and see if it helps.. I think it may be the CLEARTEXT=FALSE value that mig be causing this issue..

Thomas

Thanks for your input Thomas.

I will try to comment out the CLEARTEXT option. Do you think I should change the option on all our other primaries as well (although they have never had this problem)?

I am not quite sure its a good idea to change the other options in novell-zenimgweb.conf. Our four primaries all have two nics and two ipaddresses - one dedicated for client/server communication (the one that is currently configured in novell-zenimgweb.conf) The other nic/ipaddress is dedicated to DB communication.
  • martinusen;2064320 wrote:

I will try to comment out the CLEARTEXT option. Do you think I should change the option on all our other primaries as well (although they have never had this problem)?

I am not quite sure its a good idea to change the other options in novell-zenimgweb.conf. Our four primaries all have two nics and two ipaddresses - one dedicated for client/server communication (the one that is currently configured in novell-zenimgweb.conf) The other nic/ipaddress is dedicated to DB communication.

Yeah if you have several nics for different purposes then leave those values intact, I've read somewhere that the cleartext=false value can cause pbserv to crash if it's under load. So if pbserv doesn't crash on the other servers then no need to change anything on them.

Thomas
  • martinusen;2064320 wrote:

Yeah if you have several nics for different purposes then leave those values intact, I've read somewhere that the cleartext=false value can cause pbserv to crash if it's under load. So if pbserv doesn't crash on the other servers then no need to change anything on them.

Thomas