Roaming profiles - Startmenu problem under Windows 10

Hello,

we start to do a complete roll out of windows 10 with Zenworks.
Therefore we used this very nice best practices:
https://www.novell.com/communities/coolsolutions/windows-10-best-practices-using-zcm/

If you are using roaming profiles with Novell on non-Windows shares, you have to do some special settings.
For example you have to copy a default profile and move it in the user profile folder - as descripted here:
https://www.novell.com/documentation/zenworks114/zen11_cm_policies/data/bvkn1rh.html
It you don’t do this roaming profile will not work correctly.

Now to my problem.
If I logon to the computer with this default profile the Windows 10 start menu is not working - no reaction if you klick on it.
Roaming profile on multiple PCs is working fine, except of the menu.

I already tried the "default solutions" for this problem:
1. sfc /scannow
2. powershell with $manifest = (Get-AppxPackage Microsoft.WindowsStore).InstallLocation '\AppxManifest.xml' ; Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register $manifest
3. Copy and Paste the folder C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\TileDataLayer\Database of a local working user

If I don’t follow the instruction in the link above "Assigning a Roaming Profile Policy for a User Profile ..." and let Windows create the roaming profile on the file share I don’t have a start menu problem, but I can't login to different PC -> "Group Policy Client Service failed the sign-in" Error.

Has anybody done something like this before with Zenworks and Windows 10?

Thanks for your help!

Christian

Tags:

Parents Reply
  • sheinrich;2464578 wrote:
    Thanks!
    We decided to go the way of folder redirection instead of roaming profiles.

Is there a description how to do this redirection to the users Homedir on OES servers. In all descriptions I found you need an AD. I have no AD. I want to redirect like this

g:\w10\downloads
    g:\w10\desktop

Where g: is servername\home:groupname\userloginname (sample unc: \\omega\home\personal\mike or \\alpha\home\students\kate)
    No copy nessesary. Only first login of mike on w10 create directories like \\omega\home\personal\mike\w10\downloads...
    and mike can do his work. Nedt dax maybe login on other PC and w10 there had to use those directories.

That together with no change-able startmenu and only roaming of some app-parts may work like in w7 I hope.
    If not we must say good by "microfocus"

500 students and 60 w10 PC I must find a way.
Children