Problem with Agent "advertised discovery"

I'm trying to test different ways of deploying the ZCM agent. Deploying the agent using a deployment task works flawlessly but there are also circumstances where we might night to manually install the agent. I believe I've followed the instructions given in the ZCM documentation but the test workstations always goes undiscovered. Here is what I'm doing for a manual agent deployment.

1. Install ZCM pre-agent from http://<server name>/zenworks-setup

I've tried both the "network" and the "complete" install. If I'm reading the documentation correct, this is where you go to download and install the agent manually.

2. Complete agent installation and reboot

3. Configure "Advertised Discovery settings" to check every 30 minutes (minimum allowable)

4. Add the IP of the test worksation to "Advertised Discovery Subnets"

5. Wait for the manually installed workstation to be discovered

The end result for me is that the test workstation never gets discovered. I am able to manually register the test workstation by running a "zac reg", but I'm looking to get the discovery working.

Here is what I've also found in the documentation...

Only those devices with the pre-agent installed respond to an advertised discovery; devices that have the full ZENworks Adaptive Agent do not respond to an advertised discovery.

Am I installing the right agent? The executable is named "PreAgentPkg_Agent.exe" so it looks like I'm downloaded and installing the correct thing. But it seems to automatically downloaded and install the full agent.

The pre-agent will only be installed on OEM devices or on devices whose registration was removed from the Management Zone

From my point of view, the pre-agent is only installed on machines that I install it on. What do OEM devices have to do with anything?

Thanks in advance for your assistance!
  • weinberd,

    It appears that in the past few days you have not received a response to your
    posting. That concerns us, and has triggered this automated reply.

    Has your problem been resolved? If not, you might try one of the following options:

    - Visit and search the knowledgebase and/or check all
    the other self support options and support programs available.
    - You could also try posting your message again. Make sure it is posted in the
    correct newsgroup. (

    Be sure to read the forum FAQ about what to expect in the way of responses:

    If this is a reply to a duplicate posting, please ignore and accept our apologies
    and rest assured we will issue a stern reprimand to our posting bot.

    Good luck!

    Your Novell Product Support Forums Team

  • This is a complete shot in the dark but, im tryin to help ....

    How about a hosts file entry on the client you're trying to manually import?
  • donasutton;1898201 wrote:
    This is a complete shot in the dark but, im tryin to help ....

    How about a hosts file entry on the client you're trying to manually import?

    Thanks for your "shot in the dark"!

    I actually have more information to report...

    It appears that my testing methods were the cause of the problem, though I'm not 100% clear why my test workstations where exhibiting this behavior.

    I was testing the deployment of the ZCM agent on two test workstations anmed TEST1 and TEST2 (very creative, I know!). The initial deployment worked just fine, it was subsequent deployments after reghosting each box that had problems (they wouldn't register automatically, I had to do a "zac reg http://<server name> to get them to register).

    My process was to delete the TEST1 computer object from the Zenworks Control Center and then reghost the computer. I was reghosting with a sysprepped image and would name the computer back to "TEST1" during the setup process. After doing this, the computer would not register itself automatically (using deploy task or manual install). I had to do a "zac reg" command to register.

    If I first UNREGISTERED ("zac unr" command) and then reghosted the computer.... automatic registration works.

    I understand how to resolve the problem, but I'm unclear on the why it's happening to begin with. I doesn't seem right that outright deleting a computer object would then cause that same computer to not register back automatically after reghosting.
  • Another shot in the dark.
    If you delete the device from the zone and then reghost the device then during that small time interval I think it will reregister itself as a discovered device. Then after reghosting it has trouble registering as a new device.

    When reimaging a device I delete it from the zone while it's being reimaged.