Reporting - System Listing Wrong in Product and Version

Zenworks Inventory / Reporting.

Using the System Listing report, device models are listed in 2 different columns, however only in one of the colums for each device:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1QA24N4Nte08prOYGE870oDy_2nhIne3H/view?usp=sharing

This causes the report's to be wrong.

We are talking about arround 100 Devices that show incorrectly.

Any idea how to clean it up?
Parents
  • pwolfe;2476621 wrote:
    Zenworks Inventory / Reporting.

Using the System Listing report, device models are listed in 2 different columns, however only in one of the colums for each device:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1QA24N4Nte08prOYGE870oDy_2nhIne3H/view?usp=sharing

This causes the report's to be wrong.

We are talking about arround 100 Devices that show incorrectly.

Any idea how to clean it up?

It was a confirmed bug. We tried a field patch that was unsuccessful. It was indicated this fix should be in the rollup / service pack out in the fall (Hopefully August)

Patrick
  • Don't believe that or expect a change in behavior.
    It is key to understand the nature of the issue.

Simply put different vendors store different details in different places.
    Even the same vendor.

ZCM merges different fields together for a unifying view.
    Since the input is not consistent...the merged output will not be consistent.
    No patch can ever fix that.

Devs can try and add device specific logic...….but as a whole there cannot be a fix because it is now working as designed and the design has not and will not be changed in any rollup.
    A few lines of code to handle specific devices differently but that's it.

The core issue will always be Vendors do not store WMI data consistently so any reports on WMI data will not be consistent....
  • I had a really long post I thought I posted in response however Its now missing, So I might miss a few things, as I am writing this again. …..

Thanks Craig,

Yes, I understand what you are saying, working with ZCM support, they acknowledged and indicated I had a bug that would be fixed in the next release. They tried a Field patch that failed to work (Would not process anything).

I could be completely wrong here, however please let me know if this makes sense....

I believe, in this scenario, no values were in the wrong place via WMI, only how they are being stored in the Inventory XML file.

The below gives an overview of the fields and WMI commands. However my understanding of what was discovered was that the "Version" field for newer systems was "NULL". This was causing the ZCM Agent inventory to improperly store the values in the xml file as the field would be skipped in a way. The values still existed in WMI Correctly, however the it was in a way bypassing the "Version" field and shifting the model number to the "product name" field.

This caused the values to be now stored in two columns in the Sybase table, thus reporting is a pain.

As you can see below the 3020 is stored as it always has been, yet the 3050 is in the wrong location in the ******-full.xml

This would not be the first issue / confirmed bug I have had with ZCM 2017 and a null value creating the problems. I had one related to the configuration settings for invenotry. If the value to include certain items was left as unchecked it would not process any inventory. If you enabled the field it would process.

##############################################################
    #Optiplex 3020
    #optiplex 3020 - Inventory XML File: ****-Full.xml
    <Product>
    <ProductOID>3fd17e9a15a84340915fd8ecc73edf6e</ProductOID>
    <Manufacturer>Dell Inc.</Manufacturer>
    <ProductName>01</ProductName>
    <ModelVersion>OptiPlex 3020</ModelVersion>
    <Type>22</Type>
    #
    #
    #optiplex 3020 - WMI Commands
    #
    wmic csproduct get Name"," Vendor"," Version

Name Vendor Version
    OptiPlex 3020 Dell Inc. 00

wmic computersystem get manufacturer"," Model"," Name

Manufacturer Model Name
    Dell Inc. OptiPlex 3020 50184-PWOLFE

#Optiplex 3050
    #Optiplex 3050 - Inventory XML File: ****-Full.xml

<Product>
    <ProductOID>56b44a19b0ea4649bfc9e5b0bc0afaae</ProductOID>
    <ProductName>OptiPlex 3050</ProductName>
    <ModelVersion />
    <Type>22</Type>

#
    #
    #optiplex 3050 - WMI Commands
    #
    wmic csproduct get Name"," Vendor"," Version

Name Vendor Version
    OptiPlex 3050 Dell Inc.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    wmic computersystem get manufacturer"," Model"," Name

Manufacturer Model Name
    Dell Inc. OptiPlex 3050 50282-JZQTJB2

~Patrick
  • I had a really long post I thought I posted in response however Its now missing, So I might miss a few things, as I am writing this again. …..

Thanks Craig,

Yes, I understand what you are saying, working with ZCM support, they acknowledged and indicated I had a bug that would be fixed in the next release. They tried a Field patch that failed to work (Would not process anything).

I could be completely wrong here, however please let me know if this makes sense....

I believe, in this scenario, no values were in the wrong place via WMI, only how they are being stored in the Inventory XML file.

The below gives an overview of the fields and WMI commands. However my understanding of what was discovered was that the "Version" field for newer systems was "NULL". This was causing the ZCM Agent inventory to improperly store the values in the xml file as the field would be skipped in a way. The values still existed in WMI Correctly, however the it was in a way bypassing the "Version" field and shifting the model number to the "product name" field.

This caused the values to be now stored in two columns in the Sybase table, thus reporting is a pain.

As you can see below the 3020 is stored as it always has been, yet the 3050 is in the wrong location in the ******-full.xml

This would not be the first issue / confirmed bug I have had with ZCM 2017 and a null value creating the problems. I had one related to the configuration settings for invenotry. If the value to include certain items was left as unchecked it would not process any inventory. If you enabled the field it would process.

#Optiplex 3020
    #optiplex 3020 - Inventory XML File: ****-Full.xml
    <Product>
    <ProductOID>3fd17e9a15a84340915fd8ecc73edf6e</ProductOID>
    <ProductName>01</ProductName>
    <ModelVersion>OptiPlex 3020</ModelVersion>
    <Type>22</Type>
    #
    #
    #optiplex 3020 - WMI Commands