NAM as Reverse Proxy for Groupwise POA

Hi all,

we are evaluating the possibilties for NAM. Is it possible and usefull to use NAM to protect the access from outside the firewall to Groupwise POA?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Alex
  • Alexander Lorenz wrote:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > we are evaluating the possibilties for NAM. Is it possible and
    > usefull to use NAM to protect the access from outside the firewall to
    > Groupwise POA?
    >
    > Thanks for your thoughts.
    >
    > Alex


    You mean you want to protect port 1677? If so, you can either the SSL
    VPN client which requires the user to setup a session with NAM first.
    If you don't want to do this then you could create a tunnel through NAM
    but I don't think it adds a whole lot in security as there's no
    filtering going on really.

    --
    Cheers,
    Edward
  • This was exactly what i want to know. Tunneling Port 1677. Using VPN before connecting is currently no option.
    Is NAM able to proxy other protocols then HTTP/HTTPS? E.g. ActiveSync for Novell Datasynchronizer or Novell Messenger?

    Alex

    >>> <edmaa@no-mx.forums.novell.com> schrieb am 16.8.2012 um 12:18 AM:

    > Alexander Lorenz wrote:
    >
    >> Hi all,
    >>
    >> we are evaluating the possibilties for NAM. Is it possible and
    >> usefull to use NAM to protect the access from outside the firewall to
    >> Groupwise POA?
    >>
    >> Thanks for your thoughts.
    >>
    >> Alex

    >
    > You mean you want to protect port 1677? If so, you can either the SSL
    > VPN client which requires the user to setup a session with NAM first.
    > If you don't want to do this then you could create a tunnel through NAM
    > but I don't think it adds a whole lot in security as there's no
    > filtering going on really.


  • Alexander Lorenz wrote:

    > This was exactly what i want to know. Tunneling Port 1677. Using VPN
    > before connecting is currently no option. Is NAM able to proxy other
    > protocols then HTTP/HTTPS? E.g. ActiveSync for Novell
    > Datasynchronizer or Novell Messenger?


    Yep, sure does. Done it myself :)


    --
    Cheers,
    Edward
  • OK thanks for the hints.

    Would you protect Groupwise POA Access with NAM or is there an other
    solution with more security??



    >>> <edmaa@no-mx.forums.novell.com> schrieb am Donnerstag, 16. August 2012

    um
    11:20:
    > Alexander Lorenz wrote:
    >
    >> This was exactly what i want to know. Tunneling Port 1677. Using VPN
    >> before connecting is currently no option. Is NAM able to proxy other
    >> protocols then HTTP/HTTPS? E.g. ActiveSync for Novell
    >> Datasynchronizer or Novell Messenger?

    >
    > Yep, sure does. Done it myself :)

  • Alexander Lorenz wrote:

    > OK thanks for the hints.
    >
    > Would you protect Groupwise POA Access with NAM or is there an other
    > solution with more security??


    The protocol between gw client and poa has already 56 bit proprietary
    encryption so not sure if you find that good enough. If not, you could
    force SSL usage for communication to the POA.

    --
    Cheers,
    Edward
  • OK, thank you for the thoughts.

    Alex

    >>> <edmaa@no-mx.forums.netiq.com> schrieb am Sonntag, 19. August 2012 um

    12:52:
    > Alexander Lorenz wrote:
    >
    >> OK thanks for the hints.
    >>
    >> Would you protect Groupwise POA Access with NAM or is there an other
    >> solution with more security??

    >
    > The protocol between gw client and poa has already 56 bit proprietary
    > encryption so not sure if you find that good enough. If not, you could
    > force SSL usage for communication to the POA.