Kindly I am little confused about SQL multiple instance DB, I have several questions about it and hoping find their answers:
1- the difference between this smart connector and SmartConnector for Microsoft SQL Server Audit DB (Legacy) is that we can monitor multiple instances of the DB but are these instances must be located on the same DB or can be located on different DBs ?
2- If we can monitor multiple instances from different/separate DBs, should they all be located in the same domain controller or not?
3-Before installing the Smart Connector, perform the following configuration steps:
- Create an ODBC Data Source (not necessary when using a JDBC driver).
- Download a SQL Server JDBC driver (not necessary when using an ODBC data source).
- Mount a drive on Linux platforms.
- For SQL Server 2008, ensure TCP/IP connection is enabled.
- Create a Local SQL Server User.
- Share permissions for the database log folder.
- Create a Domain SQL Server User. This step is required for all authentication modes and operating system environments. System administrator privilege is required for SQL Server database access and for granting folder permissions.
- Enable Auditing.
" according to Smart Connector for Microsoft SQL Server Multiple Instance Audit DB configuration guide"
If we created a local SQL server user and granted it the required permissions, are we still needing to share the folder which has the trace files or not ?
what I had understood that we create a Domain user and share the trace file folder only in the case of using windows authentication with SQL server , did I understand it right ?
Finally when using C2 auditing what parameters should I provide for the connector :
- Trace File Local Folder
- Connector Data Folder