A couple of weeks ago, I highlighted an up-and-coming webinar (Scaling IGA to Cover the Whole Enterprise) that I hosted last week for Trivir's identity consultant Jim Montgomery. Leveraging this decade's experience, Jim did a good explaining the dynamics at play and what needs to be together to kick off and complete a successful identity governance project.
Jim starts off with a few project precursor insights detailing the problems that organizations should be focused on. Jim walks through these business objectives (note that 0% of identity governance projects should start from the IT dept):
- Pass both internal and regulatory audits.
- Establish more insurance and risk avoidance to protect against the next "event" and, if it does occur, minimize it.
- Improve the overall security footprint.
Jim segments these organizational objectives across the different personae to better understand each role's specific pain points and objectives.
All of this is a setup for Jim detailing the:
- Initial governance project – the focus is to establish a robust governance practice that enables the business to meet its compliance and attestation commitments.
- Steps to improved governance – where to enhance and expand governance policies and procedures to make them more effective.
- What constitutes a mature governance practice, which BTW necessitates an expansion into the entire realm of identity governance and administration.
Overall, it's a good bet that many IAM and information security managers would gain tangible value from Jim's experience. I certainly enjoyed hosting it. Check out the replay!
See how to get modern Identity Governance and Administration with NetIQ’s Zero Trust hub. See how NetIQ Identity Governance can reduce or eliminate blind spots by providing “continuous compliance” capabilities in our new IAM white paper.
Join our Community. Have technical questions about NetIQ Identity Governance and Administration? Visit the Identity Governance and Administration User Discussion Forum. Keep up with the latest Tips & Info about NetIQ Identity Governance and Administration. Do you have an Idea or Product Enhancement Request about Identity Management? Submit it in the Identity Governance and Administration Idea Exchange. We’d love to hear your thoughts on this blog. Log in or register to comment below.