You may need to uninstall NICI keys in order to successfully install eDirectory 8.8 or later in Windows 2003.
Note: This solution is for testers. It works in an environment with Windows 2003, eDirectory 8.8 or later, and any version of NICI.
1. Uninstall NICI from Control panel add/remove programs.
2. Go to C:\WINDOWS\system32\Novell\NICI. Note that you cannot remove the system folder that has the keys.
3. Go to Properties of the system folder.
4. Click Security and then OK.
5. Choose Advanced > Owner > Administrator.
6. Select "Replace owner on subcontainer and objects" option and click Apply. Now you have the correct permissions on the system folder.
7. Remove the entire NICI folder.