I have recently updated WebInspect in my system. While trying to record macro/ do a manual scan, we faced issues in Internet Explorer. Hence we disabled the IE Enhanced Security Setting. Also enabled "Manage 3rd party web browser extension"
However, even after doing these changes, we still found issues in scans.
1. If we do a manual scan, we get the alert that "3rd Party Browser Extension is not enabled." We checked and found it was already enabled.
2. During Macro recording, if the selected browser is FireFox, and we click on Record, all the buttons on the screen get disabled and the browser screen remains blank.
Please advise on this issue.