WebInspect 16.10 and LIM 3.10


I'm currently in the process of trying to deploy WebInspect 16.10 and LIM. The WebInspect install process was relatively simple and straight forward, but ive spent most of the day trying to get LIM installed without much luck and a lot frustration.

I am trying to install LIM 3.10 (as packaged with WebInspect 16.10) on a Windows Server 2012 R2 Virtual Machine. I follow the steps in the install guide, using Server Manager to install IIS, ASP.NET 3.5, ASP.NET 4.5, .NET Framework 3.5 and .NET Framework 4.5. (note: no open for "ASP.NET" and '.NET Framework 3.5.1 Features" as specified in the guide).

The LIM installer runs successfully and prompts me to click Finish to start the Initialize process. On clicking Finish though nothing happens? I try and start the Initialize Process manually through the Start Menu and get an error specifying the software has stopped working (see attached).

I then check the Service "HPE Security License and Infrastructure Manager Agent Service" and find that it is not running. On attempting to start it manually i get an error stating it could not be started?

So I then attempt to re-run the LIM installer, selecting the Repair option and not to delete logs or databases. This produces an error stating that the setup cannot find the .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 and that I need to download it?

Any advice?


  • This error looked to be caused by a accumulation of multiple issues including the server not being fully patched and needing to run the Intitialize Process separately as an Administrator.

    Although I now have LIM fully installed I am unable to authenticate to the Admin Console as a result of the below error:



  • I had a series of unfortunate events when I replaced LIM 3.0 with 3.10.  Below are my internal notes of the corrections I needed.


    I ran into this same issue when upgrading from LIM 3.0 to this latest 3.10 release that came with WebInspect 10.50.

     Apparently LIM 3.10 changed how the Application Pool operates.  It now needs to be set to use .NET 4 and use Integrated mode.  LIM 3.0 would have been set to .NET 2.0 and Classic mode.  I think this is where my upgrade attempt went awry.

     In my case I also found that the prior Sites LIMadmin and LIMservice would not get removed properly during the LIM Initialization process.


    Here is how I corrected this.

    1. Uninstall  LIM from Control Panel.
    2. Delete the LIM folder whether it was under C:\Program Files\ (for LIM 3.10) or under C:\Program Files (x86)\  (for LIM 3.0).
    3. Open IIS and remove both LIM Sites:  LIMadmin & LIMservice
    4. In IIS, remove the Application Pool used for LIM.
    5. Restart IIS.
    6. Run the LIM 3.10 installer, LocalLicenseServer64.msi (or LocalLicenseServer.msi for 32-bit) , as an Administrator.
      • Installer is located under C:\Program Files\HP\HP WebInspect\ for a WebInspect 10.50 installation.
    • Should be fine then.
      • Verify that the Windows Service for HP LIM can be started.
      • Start the configuration at https://localhost/LIMadmin


    I later had a secondary issue appear where the new error says we lacked access to the Machine Keys folder.  The fix for that separate item was to change the Identity that is set for the LIM’s AppPool from "NetworkService" to "LocalSystem".  That may have been a Group Policy or other security feature hampering the LIM service.

    Alternatively, I now noted in AutoDan's other forum posting that he resolved the Machine Keys error not via the Identity change but by setting Full (Read, Write, Execute) Permissions on  C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Crypto\RSA\.