Scan database has reached maximum allowed limit (4Gb). Operation will be cancelled.

Hello,

I am running SQL Server 2008. I reached 60 present of my scan. I have to finish the scan. How can I extand the db limit to continue this scan?

Thanks

Parents
  • Sounds like you're confusing SQL Server with SQL Server Express.  If you upgrade to 2008 R2 that limit will increase to 10GB - so that's one option.  You could also use "full up" SQL Server which has no scan size limit (limited only by how much disk space is available).

Note also that the limit you have reached is per scan (assuming all is configured correctly).  If you are reaching that limit, I would suspect that the scan may need a little attention in order to determine whether it's getting lost in the weeds - maybe attempting to scan every page in a blog, a calendar or whatever. 

• Well, using the newer versions could be a little misleading or there seems to be a bug in WI 16.10 and 16.20.

I've installed SQL Express 2012 (with WI 16.10) and SQL Express 2014 (with 16.20) on separate clean machines and even though it installs these SQL Express versions, it also installs "SQL Express 2008 Setup Support files" if you look in the Control Panel (Programs and Features). This in theory I believe is giving me the same error's, i.e. that I've hit the 4GB limitation.

Has anyone else experienced this yet ?

screenshot

• Well, using the newer versions could be a little misleading or there seems to be a bug in WI 16.10 and 16.20.

I've installed SQL Express 2012 (with WI 16.10) and SQL Express 2014 (with 16.20) on separate clean machines and even though it installs these SQL Express versions, it also installs "SQL Express 2008 Setup Support files" if you look in the Control Panel (Programs and Features). This in theory I believe is giving me the same error's, i.e. that I've hit the 4GB limitation.

Has anyone else experienced this yet ?

screenshot

Children
  • I don't believe the fact that the 2008 Setup Support Files are present has anything to do with this.  If you find the mdf file associated with your scan, is it greater thatn 10GB (the true limit for 2012 and 2014)?

I believe what you're seeing here is a hardcoded error message from the day sof the 4GB limit.