purge archive

Hello,

we have a governance 3.6.1 installation with local postgres and I noticed that the database was growing very fast because we configured several data and applications sources and did a lot of collects.

Now about a couple of months later, I want to clean up old data and saw that there is a lot of information in the archive.

How can I clean that data from archive ?

The documentation indicates that if I disable archiving all data from the archives will be deleted, but that does not happen.

When I do a advanced cleanup for all types of data, it still remains in the archive.

So how can I delete if from the archive ?

Rainer

• Greetings,
    It is not possible to "purge" the archive database at this time. If you do not want to utilize the existing archive functionality, then performing routine database back-ups would be a valid approach. If you go with the later, then simple disable archiving all of the contents in the archive schema will be deleted.

Sincerely,
    Steven Williams
    Principal Enterprise Architect
    Micro Focus

• Hi Steven,

thanks for your response on this.

What do you mean with "then simple disable archiving all of the contents in the archive schema will be deleted" ?

Rainer

• Greetings,
        When you disable archiving all of the data within the "archive" schema (default name is igarc) will be deleted.  A warning message is displayed with the following information when press the disable archive button:

"
    Disabling archiving will clear all data in the archive database. All triggers that capture database updates will be deactivated.
    If you want to retain data, back up the archive database prior to disabling archiving.
    Re-enabling archiving will archive the ops database as it is on the re-enablement date. Data cleaned (purged) from the ops database before the archive re-enablement date will not be present in the archive database.
    Are you sure that you want to disable archiving?
    "  

There currently is an issue with 3.6.1 where this is not always working correctly.  We are working on the fix.  Please open a Service Request to receive additional assistance with this.

Sincerely,
    Steven Williams
    Micro Focus
  • Hello Steven,

thanks for you update. We opened meanwhile a service request and got approved that disabling the archive does not delete the archived data. So the topic is under investigation.

But we got a solution that we can drop / recreate the database and create the database schema with the db-init script once again.

We did that so our archive is now empty and hopefully in one of the next fixes or version this will work as expected.

Rainer

• Greetings,
         Thanks for the update. I am the Engineer that backline worked with on your SR.

Sincerely,
    Steven Williams
    Micro Focus