Failed to start the workflow after submit the form

Hi ,

i have demo environment with IDM 4.8.

When i start workflows, the following messages appears in the console and workflow not works:

submission failed.

Failed to submit resource request [id = cn=additional_session,cn=requestdefs,cn=appconfig,cn=user application driver,cn=driverset1,o=system]
due to:Provisioning system error:Failed to start the workflow.

find the screenshoot of error.

what is the possible cause of this issue?

Parents
  • Normally for IDM issues our first response is pretty much "Show me the trace" (Or beef if you are an 80 year old lady from a Wendy's commercial from the 1980's...  She was funny!)

In workflow cases, you need to show us the catalina.out log.  There will be an error there f some kind with a smidgen more info.  It may be cryptic, but it is where you need to log.

So on Linux, likely the path is:

/opt/netiq/idm/apps/tomcat/logs/catalina.out (or maybe idapps.out, or maybe catalina.out.2020-09-30.log or whatever)

• Thank you for your response.

i attached the todays catalina.log file and the application installed in windows 2012 R2.

• 2020-10-01 11:40:16,353 [ERROR] WorkflowClientImpl [RBPM] Failed to get task notification details com.netiq.idm.workflow.client.exception.WorkflowClientException: Workflow service is not available at com.netiq.idm.workflow.client.WorkflowUtil.performHttpPostRequest(WorkflowUtil.java:173)

So this takes some explaining.  The goal with IDM is to move to a more Devops model, which means lots of microservices, all running in their own containers, basically independant and then easier to update, run more insatnces for performance, etc.

The first step was in 4.8 where the Workflow service was moved OUT of the IDMProv.war and into the workflow.war.  Along with that you will notice the upgrade copied the Workflow database tables out of imduserappdb and into igaworkflow DB. 

Then in ism-configuration.properties, there is a reference line to where the workflow services URL resides.

This errror is saying that while IDApps are up, you loaded the web page (idmdash.war so could be its own container one day) you hit the Dashboard page, which now makes calls to get the dashboard element results, it fails to read from Workflow.

So workflow is not working.

1) WAR there and deployed?  Search log for "deploy workflow.war" and look for errors in there.

2) Check ism-config property file and make sure the URL works with OSP (No extra :443 or whatever, since OSP is super picky about URL's)

3) Did the DB copy ok?  Check yoru DB for the igaworkflow db and it should have the AF* tables in it. 

• If there was an issue with the DB copy, is there a way to force it to run again?

We recently upgraded to 4.8.2, and are seeing the following in the catalina.out log

2020-10-20 13:18:56,153 ERROR [liquibase.changelog.ChangeSet] (main) Change Set DbWorkflowCreateTables.xml::5600::IDMRBPM failed. Error: There is already an object named 'getJsonValue' in the database. [Failed SQL: (2714) CREATE FUNCTION getJsonValue(@input NVARCHAR(max), @language VARCHAR(10))
    RETURNS VARCHAR(1024)
    AS BEGIN
    DECLARE @Value VARCHAR(1024)

select @Value = stringvalue from parsejson(ISNULL(@input, '{}')) where name = @language;

RETURN @Value
    END]
    2020-10-20 13:18:56,154 INFO [liquibase.executor.jvm.JdbcExecutor] (main) select schema_name()

• Yes you can redo the copy. It is in the docs, on this page:

https://www.netiq.com/documentation/identity-manager-48/setup_linux/data/upgrading-identity-applications.html

In section titled Database Startup. Drop the workflow DB and try to copy it out again. (Or back it all up before touching it of course).
  • Hi, my last post in here (MY SOLUTION) might help you but do it at your own risk
    /cyberres/idm/f/idm_discussion/378267/identity-application-postgresql-database-reinitialization
  • Hi!

I ran into a similar issue and it was because I made the silly mistake not to use 2 databases for IDApps but trying to run 1 database only. In my case I could just reinstall IDApps after uninstalling and clearing out the databases.

So just adding in a note that you must have two databases for IDApps 4.8.

Best regards

Marcus

• Hi!

I ran into a similar issue and it was because I made the silly mistake not to use 2 databases for IDApps but trying to run 1 database only. In my case I could just reinstall IDApps after uninstalling and clearing out the databases.

So just adding in a note that you must have two databases for IDApps 4.8.

Best regards

Marcus

Children
No Data