gcv-ref give unknown error


I try to add a gcv-ref to an GCV Object in Designer (4.5.3)
I use <gcv-ref name="gcvOrgOU"/> as per DTD within the <definitions>
tag. No other GCVs defined yet on the Object.
The gcv itself is defined on a different GCV Object at the same level
(Driver Set)

Try to save it - Designer gives an "Unknown global configuration value
error".
If I validate the syntax of my object against the dtd it is ok. No
error.

Bug or undocumented feature?


--
ukrause
------------------------------------------------------------------------
ukrause's Profile: https://forums.netiq.com/member.php?userid=3280
View this thread: https://forums.netiq.com/showthread.php?t=55843

Tags:

Parents
  • ukrause wrote:

    >
    >
    > Try to save it - Designer gives an "Unknown global configuration value
    > error".
    > If I validate the syntax of my object against the dtd it is ok. No
    > error.
    >
    > Bug or undocumented feature?


    Neither.

    The same DTD is used for both driver config (driver params) and for
    GCVs. This is a bit lazy as not all elements are valid in both places.

    My testing shows that gcv-ref can only be used in driver config to
    refer to a gcv that is defined in a GCV.

    In your scenario, define the GCV in both places and order the GCVs such
    that the correct GCV object takes priority.
  • Alex McHugh wrote:

    > In your scenario, define the GCV in both places and order the GCVs such
    > that the correct GCV object takes priority.


    Or just define it only once.

    If a reference was intended originally, I assume it was meant as a convenience
    to be able to see/edit the same value in different places. Well, Designer is
    not *that* convenient currently... :-(

    --
    http://www.is4it.de/en/solution/identity-access-management/
Reply Children
  • On 5/10/2016 11:47 AM, Lothar Haeger wrote:
    > Alex McHugh wrote:
    >
    >> In your scenario, define the GCV in both places and order the GCVs such
    >> that the correct GCV object takes priority.

    >
    > Or just define it only once.
    >
    > If a reference was intended originally, I assume it was meant as a convenience
    > to be able to see/edit the same value in different places. Well, Designer is
    > not *that* convenient currently... :-(


    Well the main reason I THINK it is there, is since in a shim it is easy
    to get a driver config setting. In policy it is really easy to get a
    GCV value. But the converse is true for neither of those two cases.

    By using a gcv-ref it means the Shim and policy can easily share the
    same piece of data.


  • Geoffrey Carman <geoffreycarmanNOSPAM@NOSPAMgmail.com> wrote:
    >
    > Well the main reason I THINK it is there, is since in a shim it is easy
    > to get a driver config setting. In policy it is really easy to get a
    > GCV value. But the converse is true for neither of those two cases.
    >
    > By using a gcv-ref it means the Shim and policy can easily share the
    > same piece of data.
    >


    Exactly. A good example (although badly implemented) is in the delimited
    text driver packages. The field delimiter and field list can be defined as
    gcv-ref in shim config so that they can also be accessed from policy
    (stylesheet or DirXML-Script) to facilitate more flexible default policies

    I personally make use of gcv-ref all the time in scripting driver conduct.


    --
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface, show
    your appreciation and click on the star below...
  • Geoffrey Carman wrote:

    > By using a gcv-ref it means the Shim and policy can easily share the same
    > piece of data.


    Plus: GCVs can be packaged and controlled over a driver's full lifecycle,
    driver settings are a one-off at install time.

    Re: using gcv-ref inside a GCV definition: driver-params can be defined only
    once, GCVs multiple times. A gcv-ref in driver-params resolves to the effectice
    (= highest priority) GCV definition at driver level. A gcv-ref inside another
    GCV on the other hand will be ambiguous if the same GCV has been defined more
    than once.

    --
    http://www.is4it.de/en/solution/identity-access-management/
  • On 5/10/2016 12:48 PM, Lothar Haeger wrote:
    > Geoffrey Carman wrote:
    >
    >> By using a gcv-ref it means the Shim and policy can easily share the same
    >> piece of data.

    >
    > Plus: GCVs can be packaged and controlled over a driver's full lifecycle,
    > driver settings are a one-off at install time.
    >
    > Re: using gcv-ref inside a GCV definition: driver-params can be defined only
    > once, GCVs multiple times. A gcv-ref in driver-params resolves to the effectice
    > (= highest priority) GCV definition at driver level. A gcv-ref inside another
    > GCV on the other hand will be ambiguous if the same GCV has been defined more
    > than once.


    Subtle stuff, wish it were better documented. :)

  • Lothar Haeger <lothar.haeger@is4it.de> wrote:
    >
    > Plus: GCVs can be packaged and controlled over a driver's full lifecycle,
    > driver settings are a one-off at install time.
    >


    Also additional gcv-refs can be inserted via a non-base package thus
    allowing one to extend driver settings without bloating base packages
    unnecessarily.

    --
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface, show
    your appreciation and click on the star below...