IManager Storage Plugin Error

Hi all,

after updating all Plugins from 2 Servers which both has Imanager Version 3.2.3  (20200903_0530)

the storage plugin won't show me my pools anymore.

On server 1 it gives me "Storage plugin encountered an error. Check the logs for more information."

Details:

com\/novell\/nss\/managelib\/NSSPoolProperties.getAutoDiscard()Ljava\/lang\/String; (loaded from file:\/var\/opt\/novell\/iManager\/nps\/WEB\-INF\/lib\/nssManageLib.jar by ParallelWebappClassLoader\r\n context: nps\r\n delegate: false\r\n\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-> Parent Classloader:\r\njava.net.URLClassLoader@935554fb\r\n) called from class com.novell.nss.gadgets.NSSMgmt.PoolMgmt (loaded from file:\/var\/opt\/novell\/iManager\/nps\/WEB\-INF\/lib\/nssGadgets.jar by ParallelWebappClassLoader\r\n context: nps\r\n delegate: false\r\n\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-> Parent Classloader:\r\njava.net.URLClassLoader@935554fb\r\n).

On server 2 which i have also the same imanager version i can load the pools page but when i choose my pool 
it says Error: File Protocol error occurred: invalid object entry type. / CIFS error occurred: cannot read the given file.

Any ideas to fix both IManagers?

Cheers,

Tom

• First thing to check would the state of sfcb on the server hosting the pool.

systemctl status sblim-sfcb

or likely also

rcsfcb status

Which OES builds are the target servers running? Is iManager running on OES?

• On both servers is OES 2018 SP2 running - iManager is also running on it.

Today i was able fix one server by copy the whole iManager folder from a earlier backup which i had - and it runs fully functionally now. (Unistall iManager rpm and reinstall - doesn't matter whether the same iManager Version or a newer one doesn't work however)

I tryed the same method of copy also a backup on the second server but it still shows me CIFS error occurred: cannot read the given file when i want to see Category File Protocols -> CIFS and also wehen i want to use Storage-> Pools/Volumes/Partitions/Devices

rcsfcb writes:

**********:/var/opt/novell/iManager # rcsfcb status
    ● sblim-sfcb.service - Small Footprint CIM Broker Service
    Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/sblim-sfcb.service; enabled; vendor preset: disabled)
    Active: active (running) since Mon 2021-12-06 16:16:56 CET; 1 day 1h ago
    Process: 17170 ExecStartPre=/usr/share/sfcb/gen_ssl_certs.sh (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
    Main PID: 17175 (sfcbd)
    Tasks: 9 (limit: 512)
    CGroup: /system.slice/sblim-sfcb.service
    ├─17175 /usr/sbin/sfcbd
    ├─17177 /usr/sbin/sfcbd
    ├─17179 /usr/sbin/sfcbd
    ├─17180 /usr/sbin/sfcbd
    ├─17182 /usr/sbin/sfcbd
    ├─17184 /usr/sbin/sfcbd
    └─17188 /usr/sbin/sfcbd

Dec 07 17:28:56 srv***** NSS_CIM[21290]: Function NAMGetEffectivePrivForWSFunc failed, called with effective UID : 0
    Dec 07 17:28:56 ********** NSS_CIM[21290]: Function GetUserID failed
    Dec 07 17:28:56 ********** sfcbd[17175]: caught status :2 Insufficient privlege
    Dec 07 17:28:59 ********** sfcbd[21262]: _nds_ldap_bind: pam_ldap_init failed, trying to connect to the alternative LDAP server
    Dec 07 17:29:03 ********** sfcbd[21262]: namGetEffectivePrivForWS: Error [-1] from ldap_simple_bind: [Can't contact LDAP server]
    Dec 07 17:29:03 ********** NSS_CIM[21290]: Function NAMGetEffectivePrivForWSFunc failed, called with effective UID : 0
    Dec 07 17:29:03 ********** NSS_CIM[21290]: Function GetUserID failed
    Dec 07 17:29:03 ********** sfcbd[17175]: caught status :2 Insufficient privlege
    Dec 07 17:29:10 ********** sfcbd[17175]: cleaning up provider
    Dec 07 17:29:10 ********** sfcbd[17175]: # of providers left: 5

• Are the certificates valid and current for the servers in question?

What does "ls -al /etc/sfcb/" show you?

Do i understand correctly that you have two OES servers with iManager and by now one of them is able to manage pools of both (!) servers while the other one fails to manager pools on any?

How did you upgrade the plugins? Via patching OES or rather via "query Novell download site"?

• Are the certificates valid and current for the servers in question?

Yes they are

What does "ls -al /etc/sfcb/" show you?

# ls -al /etc/sfcb/
    total 72
    drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Jan 19 2021 .
    drwxr-xr-x 116 root root 12288 Dec 7 18:11 ..
    -r-------- 1 root root 1050 Jul 3 2018 client.pem
    -r-------- 1 root root 1050 Jul 3 2018 clist.pem
    -r-------- 1 root root 1704 Jul 3 2018 file.pem
    -r-------- 1 root root 1050 Jul 3 2018 server.pem
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 18444 Jun 30 2020 sfcb.cfg
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 18418 Dec 1 2020 sfcb.cfg.rpmnew

Do i understand correctly that you have two OES servers with iManager and by now one of them is able to manage pools of both (!) servers while the other one fails to manager pools on any?

That's correct

How did you upgrade the plugins? Via patching OES or rather via "query Novell download site"?

I upgraded it thru the iManager Webinterface which is configurated to get new plugins from novell download site, but i also recognized that some "new" plugin versions were displayed as local files and some "new" plugins as download thru novell.

And just as info - currently iManager of the functional server still tell me that "New IPM's are available" but all plugins in this list are local stored - i guess when i press the update button now it will destroy iManager again.

• First of all: you should never -and that shall read NEVER, ABSOLUTELY NEVER- update iManager plugins on an OES box via "query novell download site". This can cause all sorts of trouble, up to and including a broken server. iManager plugins on OES come with OES patches via the channel and will (unless after a major upgrade) then be available for install locally. On an up-to-date OES2018SP2 box you should have iMan 3.2.4 along with "storage management" 3.3.1.20201204 and "storage shared" 3.3.1.20201114.

In /etc/sfcb you should have symlinks for client.pem, file.pem and server.pem. So you should stop sfcb, move these file to whereever and run something like

ln -s /etc/ssl/servercerts/servercert.pem client.pem
    ln -s /etc/ssl/servercerts/serverkey.pem file.pem
    ln -s /etc/ssl/servercerts/servercert.pem server.pem

• Run the link commands from within /etc/sfcb, of course...

• Verified Answer

Thanks - after all i will never do updates of plugin thru the novell query again.

I get iManager to work again with the following solution steps:

Do your recommendation of sfcb
    Stopping rcnovell-tomcat
    Uninstall oes-imanager-3.2.3-6.2.noarch.rpm
    Uninstall oes-imanager-plugin-base-3.2.3-6.2.noarch.rpm
    Delete folder /var/opt/novell/iManager/
    Copy the working iManager with: rsync -avz --progress --verbose --human-readable root@<good_server>:/var/opt/novell/iManager/* /var/opt/novell/iManager/
    Install oes-imanager-3.2.3-6.2.noarch.rpm again
    Install oes-imanager-plugin-base-3.2.3-6.2.noarch.rpm again
    Restart rcnovell-tomcat

That's it - i've got now two fully functional running iManagers again.

Thank you for your support!