Customizing text in idmadmin?

This seems like something that should be simple to do, but I'm stumped. I want to replace some text displayed by /idmadmin, with some other text. Text strings customization isn't a new idea with the Identity Apps, but this one is hiding from me.

The path is /idmadmin/#/groups

If you enable group editing, and want to add a user to the group, clicking on the [ ] brings up a search box with some light grey "help" text in it that says:

Search in users by First Name, Last Name

I want to change it to something else, like "Search for people by Last Name". That's it, just a simple string change. I have been searching through every file under /opt/netiq and haven't found this text.

I can see the block of HTML here:

<div _ngcontent-c16="" class="input-group expanded"> <label _ngcontent-c16="" class="sr-only" for="input-search">Search in users by First Name, Last Name</label> <input _ngcontent-c16="" aria-label="query" class="form-control input-sm ng-pristine ng-valid ng-touched" type="text" placeholder="Search in users by First Name, Last Name"> <span _ngcontent-c16="" class="input-group-btn spacer-none"> <button _ngcontent-c16="" aria-label="dropdown" class="btn btn-default" role="button" type="button"> <i _ngcontent-c16="" class="icon icon-arrow-angle-down spacer-out-none" hidden=""></i> <i _ngcontent-c16="" class="icon icon-cross spacer-out-none"></i> </button> </span> </div>

and from fooling around with it in Firefox, I know that I need to replace the placeholder="" text to get it to show up changed. I thought I'd attack it with CSS, but you're not allowed to change attribute text that way.

This really seems like it should be a simple thing. Where have they hidden this text for changing?

Parents
  • Hi dgersic,

You can change most of the idmadmin string(s) by modifying this file

/opt/netiq/idm/apps/tomcat/webapps/idmadmin/assets/i18n/AdminStringsRsrc_en.json

The string you want to change is not the complete string, only beginning of it..

Search - "Search in users": "Search in users",
    Replace - "Search in users": "Search for people",

Note, this string might also be used somewhere else and "by" is a separate string in there
    "by": "by",

Also you need to modify the settings if you want to seach by some other attributes than "First Name, Last Name" from Settings/Customization/User Search Lookup Attribute.
    But, that is a global setting "This setting will be used for all places where Dn lookup widget used."

The strings for the selected attributes are coming from DAL entity.

Rgds,
    Tami

• Thanks. That wasn't what I was expecting. I was looking for a single string to edit, not a combination of multiple strings, and some other unconfigurable behavior.

What I'm hitting is that the prompt text there says: "Search in Users by First Name, Last Name" which would seem to imply that "Jack Sparrow" should find a user. It does not. Search by "Jack" and it does. Search by "Sparrow" and it does.

I can see how this text ends up being what it is. The DN lookup is set for attributes "First Name" and "Last Name", so they're listing the configured attributes in a CSV list. I was hoping to change it to the more end user friendly "Search in users by First Name OR Last Name". It's the comma that I'm really trying to eliminate there.

I guess removing First Name from the DN lookup might kinda work. That should make it prompt only for Last Name, which isn't really what I wanted, but might confuse the end users less.

• Thanks. That wasn't what I was expecting. I was looking for a single string to edit, not a combination of multiple strings, and some other unconfigurable behavior.

What I'm hitting is that the prompt text there says: "Search in Users by First Name, Last Name" which would seem to imply that "Jack Sparrow" should find a user. It does not. Search by "Jack" and it does. Search by "Sparrow" and it does.

I can see how this text ends up being what it is. The DN lookup is set for attributes "First Name" and "Last Name", so they're listing the configured attributes in a CSV list. I was hoping to change it to the more end user friendly "Search in users by First Name OR Last Name". It's the comma that I'm really trying to eliminate there.

I guess removing First Name from the DN lookup might kinda work. That should make it prompt only for Last Name, which isn't really what I wanted, but might confuse the end users less.

Children