We are very pleased to announce the availability of Data Protector 2020.05, our enterprise-grade backup and disaster recovery solution for diverse, distributed enterprises. Built on a scalable and adaptive architecture that combines analytics, automation, and security, Data Protector enables organizations to meet the most demanding data protection, disaster recovery, and compliance requirements for hybrid IT environments.
We will be delivering a “What’s New in Data Protector” update as well as having a customer present on “Why Data Protector?” at the May Virtual Universe event. Come and join us for no cost at this online event.
Date: Wednesday, May 20, 2020
Time: 1:30pm CDT | 2:30pm EDT | 20:30 CET
Duration: 60 minutes
This release was made generally available on 12 May 2020. Full details of the content is available on our Practitioner Portal and we have highlighted some of the key new capabilities here.
With this release we continue to enhance security, improve performance, expand cloud storage target support, and simplify and streamline the user experience.
Security is critical for everyone to ensure the best possible protection for business data. Several enhancements have been made to ensure you are receiving the best security possible, including:
- Upgrading the advanced IDB to PostgreSQL 11.5 for significant security improvements.
- Ability to restrict upgrades over INET so that only administrators who know the client passwords can upgrade.
Extended Infrastructure support
In addition to the already extensive cloud support available with Data Protector it has added Amazon S3 Glacier and Amazon S3 Glacier Deep Archive as new Backup to Disk (B2D) cloud devices. These are archival cloud devices that you can use to backup and restore large quantities of data.
HPE Primera, primary storage platform is also supported for Zero Downtime Backup (ZDB). Certifications currently cover Windows, SUSE SLES, RedHat RHEL and Oracle Linux.
Block Based backup, restore, and recovery
Block Based backup and restore provides improved performance and reduces storage requirements. This release enhances the Data Protector block based backup further by supporting block based recovery functionality. The recovery functionality enables you to browse through block-based backups and select individual files or directories for recovery to your desired target location. This results in the performance of backup and restore operations being enhanced to have smaller backup and restore windows.
Enhanced Web-based Scheduler
The Web-based Scheduler has received some small enhancements:
- Support for 24 hour format in Web-based Scheduler - The Web-based Scheduler now supports both 12-hour and 24-hour time formats.The format used for display is based on the locale configuration of the user. For example, if the user locale is German, time is displayed in 24-hour format and if the user locale is English (United States), time is displayed in 12-hour format.
- Search option for specification in schedule creation wizard - When creating a schedule, you can select a specification by browsing through the specification types or search for a specification by typing the specification name in the Search box.
HTML5-based VMware GRE Plugin
The new VMware GRE plugin is a Flash independent HTML5 version of the older GRE plug in. The HTML5 plugin comes with a new look and feel for an improved user experience. It works with VMware vCenter versions 6.5 u2 or later. Starting in Data Protector 2020.05, only HTML5 versions of the GRE plug in is supported. Check the VMware installation, support matrix and upgrade sections of the Practitioner Portal for more information on version support.
Other New Functionalities
- Support for systemd: Data Protector now supports using systemd on Cell Manager and clients installed on SUSE Linux Enterprise Server (SLES) 15. With the support for systemd, the xinetd package is not required any more.
- Postgres Professional databases: Data Protector offers a script-based solution to perform the backup and restore of Postgres Professional databases. The Postgres Professional backup and restore script is available for download on ITOM Marketplace.
Contact your Micro Focus Partner or Sales Representative today to find out how to take advantage of this new release, or try it with the free 90 day trial!
For more information on Data Protector 2020.05, including technical guides, product features and support matrices, please visit the Micro Focus Practitioners Portal.
And don't forget to register for the “What’s New in Data Protector" at our virtual event, Micro Focus Virtual Universe (May 19-21). Registration is free!