Micro Focus Universe 2022: IM&G – TL;DR

by Micro Focus Employee in Information Management & Governance

Ever find yourself frustrated at our limited ability as humans to be in multiple places at once? I know I sure do. Luckily, if you missed anything from Micro Focus Universe 2022, we have everything on demand for your retroactive viewing pleasure. As an added measure of convenience, here’s the IM&G TL;DR:

Live Studio

One of my highlights from this year’s Micro Focus Universe was Live Studio. It felt like tuning into my favorite channel on the television, except no insurance company commercials and the content was actually useful.

Our Live Studio sessions featured loads of content ranging from roadmaps for IM&G products, tips and tricks for Micro Focus products, expert Q&A sessions, and much more. Here are a few things I liked:

ROT Analysis

In the session, Use AI Analytics and Insight, Break in Unstructured Data Siloes and Identify Hidden Compliance Risk, we learn that our data is like an iceberg. Meaning, most of the useful bits of data we store as a company, like the bottom of an iceberg, are not useful (and sometimes not even visible.) In fact, only 12% of data is even business critical. Of the critical data, a whopping 23% of that is considered redundant, obsolete, and trivial (ROT.)

Like driving a car with an inefficient engine, storing and managing this data can be costly. As in trillions of dollars a year costly. In addition to money, ROT data can also be a resource sucker for organizations. There are many reasons for this including having no tools to capture and unlock dark or unanalyzed data, having no way of accessing unstructured data, or having missing or incomplete data, among others.

If data is valuable (I’m sure nobody would object), then we need tools to find important data and have policies that decide what you should do with it.

Enter stage left: IDOL.

IDOL is the ultimate human-augmenting, artificially intelligent, unstructured data analytics platform that helps organizations find, process, and analyze ALL data, including dark or ROT data. Identifying and processing this type of data is not only driving down your operational costs, but it is also driving down your risk for non-compliance. Data can’t hurt your organization if you know what it is and where it is.

IDOL uses deep machine learning and artificial intelligence to break in your unstructured data siloes so no data goes missing or ends up ROT-ting.

I legally can’t say IDOL can do everything, but I’m struggling to come up with something it can’t do.

Ransomware

The R word. Ransomware. By now, we all have experienced or have been in organizations that have experienced the harsh consequences of ransomware. Ransomware is virtually what the name describes, a ransom for your software. It normally rears its ugly head in the form of a virus and can wreak havoc on your system or data.

Not only can it be extremely costly if you pay the ransom to get your data back, ransomware causes system downtime, an organization killer.

If you have a reactive plan for ransomware, you’ve got the wrong plan. Dealing with malicious cyber-attacks need to be a preventative approach vs. a reactive approach. Does your company have a disaster recovery plan and software in place for when hard times inevitably strike?

Enter stage right: Data Protector.

In the session, Secure Data Backup and Protection in a Microsoft 365 World, we learn about how Data protector is the ultimate backup and disaster recovery program. Its functionality is aptly described in its name as it serves to protect your data. 

Not only does it protect your data, but it’s also meant to serve as part of your disaster recovery plan. Data Protector allows you to centrally manage and standardize your backup and disaster recovery data from the core datacenter to the edge, allowing you to protect the most important data. Additionally, Data Protector helps you monitor and act on risk events and determine the most reasonable course of action to restore operations.

Data Protector is packed with all sorts of disaster recovery goodies like real-time insight, tiered recovery architecture, or deduplication and compression to reduce the overall cost of protection. Then, when disaster strikes, Data Protector helps you quickly recover and remain in regulatory compliance. Think of it as your fireproof curtains, smoke alarms, and fire extinguishers all in one convenient package.

Ask the Experts: Closing Keynote

How often do you get access to some of the top minds in the information management and governance space?

This session served as a live Q&A where our Micro Focus experts answered actual questions submitted by the audience. All the leaders for the IM&G Micro Focus products were present and answering questions. I wish I could list out every question they answered in the session, but here are a few I liked with their answers:

What trends do you see in the ways IDOL is being deployed?

Over the last decade or so there has been a lot of change in how enterprise products in general are being deployed with the move to the cloud. While the majority of IDOL deployments do remain on-premises, we have had requests for things to be more virtual, therefore, have created additional deployment options for IDOL. Now, IDOL is available as docker containers, which can be orchestrated by Kubernetes. Additionally, IDOL Ingest is now available on AWS Marketplace, opening different commercial options.

Is there any way to run local applications with Micro Focus Desktop Containers/Application Streaming instead of having to pack the application as a container?

Yes! Just create a soft link, essentially a shortcut, which can then be placed in the console and that console can then point to the local applications. Like magic.  

What’s new in Content Manager 10.1, especially around Microsoft 365 and SharePoint?

Continuously integrating with the Microsoft portfolio is key to our strategy. For example, now Content Manager can integrate with Microsoft Teams. Within, there are Content Manager actions available in the Teams UI, allowing you to remain in Teams and set your retention roles for secure content management

How does Micro Focus use their own products? Or do they…?

Spicy question.

Here at Micro Focus, we don’t force our products to be used by anyone. However, we have identified small teams and subsets of employees where Micro Focus products would help in their work. This also allows feedback directly from employees using the products in their own work.

Often, we will get internal requests to use products in which teams have identified specific use cases for specific products. We try to fulfil these requests so we can increase our own efficiency with our own products and find additional, exciting ways for our products to be used.

Specifically, during various mergers and acquisitions we’ve taken on, we have deployed use of Content Manager. During events like these, there are mountains of data being transferred between many people and we need a way to manage this data efficiently, securely, and compliantly.

The use cases we provide for our products are not scenarios we think our products could be useful. We use them and have proven their effectiveness.

Summa

I could talk about Universe until I’m blue in the fingers. However, all these great, information-packed sessions are available on demand. They won’t be available forever, so hurry over to the Universe page where you registered to view all this great content again and again and again.

Learn all about product roadmaps, helpful Micro Focus product tips, and informative Q&A sessions with some brilliant people.

Let us know your favorite parts from this year’s Universe in the comments below.

See you all next year!

Make sure to connect with Micro Focus on Twitter and LinkedIn.

We’d love to hear your thoughts on this blog. Comment below.

The Micro Focus IM&G team

Know your data | empower your people | drive your future

Join our community | @microfocusimg | www.microfocus.com | What is InfoGov?

Labels:

Information Governance
Information Management
Anonymous