Upgrading from DP7.03 to DP 9

I'm looking to upgrade from our current DP 7.03 to DP 9

Is there a special process for it, or can i just run the installer for DP9 over the top and it'll keep the database drive tape library settings, cbackup schedules etc?

Also i'd look to do the cell manager first, and then gradually update the client software to be DP9 as well. I assume there is no issues managing backups from a DP9 cell manager to DP 7.03 clients? As we have quite a large database and i'm not sure how long it would it would take to convert the database to work with DP9.

Parents
  • Depending on what OS your Cell Manager is currently using there may be additional steps.

I recently performed a 7.03 > v9.00 upgrade. Migrating from Win 2003 R2 > Win 2012 R2.

This required the use of additional migration tools to upgrade the IDB from 32bit to 64bit.

The IDB was 40GB in size, and the upgrade itself took around 30mins.

The pre consistency checks and purging took considerably longer though, so and previously mentioned I would suggest taking a copy of your current environment and trying this is test first.

• ok I have 2 different cell servers to do 

1. is a VM on windows 2008 R2 which is the big cell server (which i can then clone and try the upgrade)

2. is a windows 2008 r2 physical server 

Where do you find that guide for upgrade?

• You will find an Upgrade section within the Installation document found in the docs section of the DP installation media.

• Just checking the guide and it says teh DCBF files will be migrated at grow up to 4 times the size. Well i've just checked my DCBF folder on the cell server, and its currently 6GB, so am i right in thinking its probably going to expand to 24GB and will take just under 8 hours to do the migration?

Details from the installation manual below

Detailed Catalog Binary Files migration
    The DCBF format in Data Protector 9.00 is changed and the DCBFs now contain the file version information. Additionally, the space requirements for the new DCBFs change as well.
    The DCBF size increases because the filenames are now stored in the DCBF, therefore it is not possible to exactly predict the new size. However, a rough guideline is an increase of approximately four times. Some example conversions are listed in the following table:

Old DCBF size                                                      24 MB                                         48.4 MB                                        97.3 MB
    Upgrade duration (minutes:seconds)       1:51                                             3:33                                               6:13

New DCBF size                                                    90.6 MB                                     181 MB                                         417 MB

• The DCBF Migration is a manual part after the actual Upgrade, if you don't have any long-term Backups you might be able to skip it alltogether.

New Backups will create DCBFs in new Style with bigger size, old ones will be kept for Restores and Browsing till expired.

The increase in size is an estimate, can be lower, can be quite a bit higher, different from environment to environment.

My advice is to go bigger if possible.

Duration of the Upgrade might take longer, depending on your Hardware. Since this is an online-process you don't need to consider this in your upgrade-downtime.

• The DCBF Migration is a manual part after the actual Upgrade, if you don't have any long-term Backups you might be able to skip it alltogether.

New Backups will create DCBFs in new Style with bigger size, old ones will be kept for Restores and Browsing till expired.

The increase in size is an estimate, can be lower, can be quite a bit higher, different from environment to environment.

My advice is to go bigger if possible.

Duration of the Upgrade might take longer, depending on your Hardware. Since this is an online-process you don't need to consider this in your upgrade-downtime.

Children
  • Svollrat 1 more quick question, just about to perform the upgrade and it says you update teh cell manager and installation server first, and then the clients.

Am i right in thinking that the clients can still run using dp7 software until i can schedule updating the clients at a later date?

As i do want to upgrade them to DP9 but i might not be able to do this today

• DP9 works with all Clients running DP6.20 and newer. Recommended Sequence is stated at Page 281 of Install-Guide.

CM, IS, GUI need to be done together. IS is required ot upgrade Client-Binaries on CM and older GUI cannot control CM.

Everything afterwards is less restricted.

Application-Agents and Media-Agents should be updated as soon as you can to profit from the changes and to prevent hickups. As with older Versions you can run a mixed Environment.

Recommendation is to upgrade within one week, I'd say do it your own pace. Some Applications or Systems at a time, checking for new Bugs before continuing.

With mass upgrades one usually ends up with several Clients that won't work anymore and figuring out what exactly is wrong can mean several days without backup.

• DP9 works with all Clients running DP6.20 and newer. Recommended Sequence is stated at Page 281 of Install-Guide.

CM, IS, GUI need to be done together. IS is required ot upgrade Client-Binaries on CM and older GUI cannot control CM.

Application-Agents and Media-Agents should be updated as soon as you can to profit from the changes and to prevent hickups. As with older Versions you can run a mixed Environment.

Recommendation is to upgrade within one week, I'd say do it your own pace. Some Applications or Systems at a time, checking for new Bugs before continuing.

With mass upgrades one usually ends up with several Clients that won't work anymore and figuring out what exactly is wrong can mean several days without backup.