SSL Error connection to CellServer

Hello folks,

i have one Problem, if i connect to my UnixCell the Client will show:

A server error has occurred. Reported error message:

Unkown SSL protocol error in connection to cellserver:7116

the certificat is valid till 01.10.2014 and installed on the Client.

Anybody has an idea ??

Thanks for Help.

Tags:

• I am guessing that you are on DP 8.10.  This is a known problem

==================

This issue might happen with HP Data Protector 8.1 cell manager installed on HP-UX.
    The symptom is that a Windows GUI client cannot connect to the DP 8.1 cell manager on HP-UX with the following error message.
    A server error has occurred. Reported error message: Unknown SSL protocol error in connection to <cell manager>: 7116.

This issue is caused by a faulty Time-To-Live value of the SSL certificate generated on the 8.1 cell manager.

The solution is to manually generate from the command line a new SSL certificate with the omnigencert.pl script which comes with the 8.11 patch bundle:

·         Get the store password which must be used during certificate regeneration for the  –store_password option
    # cat /etc/opt/omni/client/components/webservice.properties | grep Pass
    # /opt/omni/bin/perl /opt/omni/sbin/omnigencert.pl -server_id <CellManagerHostname.domain.com> -user_id hpdp  -store_password <store_password>

·         Thereafter restart the Data Protector services or reload jboss configuration: 
            #omnisv stop omnisv start
                                    # /opt/omni/AppServer/bin/jboss-cli.sh -c --command="/:reload

================

Also, this was fixed in the DP 8.11/8.12 patch bundle, downloadable from

• right running DP 8.10 on HP-UX with patches till 8.14 but still have the ssl problem.

Thanks Bob_Clark we tried this two times bevor, but still have these errors.

with old GUI 6.2 we can connect without error :/

• I was wondering if this was ever resolved.  I have the same symptoms accept:

1. The Cell Manger is Linux Redhat

2. I just upgraded from DP6.20 to DP9.01

3. Fully patched to DPLNXBDL_00901.

3. I have two seperate window servers serving as GUI interfaces.

a. Window server with 6.20 can connect to server....of course 9.01 functions are missing from the GUI.

b. Window server with 9.01 can not connect to the CM.

Bob, I tried what you suggested and it failed to connect -- before and after I did the suggested procedure.

Also note that I have multiple environments (customers) that I am upgrading.  The 3 that have already been upgraded are working correctly the the DP9 GUI.  Only this CM is have an issure.  The 3 other CMs are all Linux Redhat.

Thanks

Chuck

• Password question:  Is the password everything after the / or does it include the /?

For example:

(root@sapap2)# cat /etc/opt/omni/client/components/webservice.properties | grep Pass

keystorePassword=/hiddenpassword

truststorePassword=/hiddenpassword

so it is "/hiddenpassword" or "hiddenpassword" ?

• Vince, in your case, the pwd includes the "/".  My pwd did not have a leading slash.

Thanks

Chuck

• Yup, trial and error worked too  ;-)

/opt/omni/bin/perl /opt/omni/sbin/omnigencert.pl -server_san dns:sapap2.ssmhc.com -user_id hpdp -store_password /password -cert_expire 8500

• Now I have pulled the trigger and upgraded our production environment.  Not a happy camper.  I have a high ticket with HP open that they occasioanlly respond to so I figure I would ask here.  But first, what I did:

1. Unistall DP

2. Clean my registry of all HP/DP stuff

3. Remove the old DP directories

4. reboot

5. Install DP GUI 8.1

6. Tried to connect but was getting a window asking for username/password

7. found, via The Google, DPWINBDL_00813.exe, and installed it on my PC

8. Tried again to connect but now get what the origianl poster had, Unknown SSL protocol error message

9. Regenerated the cert, stopped and started DP

10. See #8

Anyone have any idea?  I will post what HP says  if and when they get back to me as well.

-vince

• Now I have pulled the trigger and upgraded our production environment.  Not a happy camper.  I have a high ticket with HP open that they occasioanlly respond to so I figure I would ask here.  But first, what I did:

1. Unistall DP

4. reboot

5. Install DP GUI 8.1

8. Tried again to connect but now get what the origianl poster had, Unknown SSL protocol error message

10. See #8

Anyone have any idea?  I will post what HP says  if and when they get back to me as well.

-vince

1. Unistall DP

4. reboot

5. Install DP GUI 8.1

10. See #8

-vince

• I think that you are going to need to run the 'omnigencert' command to generate a new security certificate

Please review the Command Line Interpreter Guide, found by clicking Help -> Guides in the GUI, too much to copy here, but you need to understand the options

I had a case that closed last week, here is the command that he ran to get it to work

C:\Program Files\OmniBack\bin>perl.exe omnigencert.pl -server_id 5400ABC7.xxxxt.Pri  -server_san ip:10.x.y.zz -user_id dp_install -store_password password

As you can see, I heavily redacted this to prodect the previous customer