Cannot forward segment. (Medium error.)

When I try to import a media to do a restore I get the following error:
[90:182] Cannot forward segment. (Medium error.)

It says to Verify the tape, but until I import it I can not do it.

Any idea.?
Thanks
Parents
  • Hello ,

Know it's very old issue , but I encounter the same today .

How do you solve it please ?

Thxs.

• Try another Drive to import the Media

If it throws the same error the Media is faulty and needs to be replaced.

The mentioned omnirc-Variable can help importing it despite the errors.

• TY for answering .

I must specify , I'm sure the tape and drive are good . 

tested different tapes on different drives 

import 10 tapes Ok (over 10 hours to import LTO4 tape without any issue)

tested a new backup /restore on same drive ==> ok

The restore fail immediatly :

[Major] From: RMA-NDMP@belenos.nto.atmel.com "LTO4-4-CAD" Time: 1/22/2015 7:44:59 AM
    [90:182] Cannot forward segment. ([5] I/O error)

[Major] From: RMA-NDMP@belenos.nto.atmel.com "LTO4-4-CAD" Time: 1/22/2015 7:44:59 AM
    [90:53] /dev/rmt/9mn
    Cannot seek to requested position ([5] I/O error)

[Critical] From: RSM@toutatis.nto.atmel.com "" Time: 1/22/2015 7:44:53 AM
    [61:17112] Medium header verification failed on drive LTO4-4-CAD.
    All objects on this medium will be marked as failed.

debug.log :

01/22/15 07:40:18 DBSM.29193.1 ["/db/dc/keycat/keycatalog.c $Rev: 14919 $ $Date:: 2010-11-13 00:11:15":206] A.06.20 b408

01/22/15 07:44:53 RSM.26672.13 ["/db/cdb/cdbsmapi.c $Rev: 31833 $ $Date:: 2012-06-19 11:51:42":1455] A.06.20 b408
    DbaUpdateDbOnMediumError !

• Import and Backuptests are surely not done with the NDMP-Agent but the normal BMA instead I assume.

Are you sure the NDMP-Device is properly set up and the Control host has all the right omnirc-Settings active?

OB2NDMPFH=Y|N is one of those variables that has to be changed depending on the Filer you use, unfortunately not sure on the details.

If you use NetApp 8.1.x make sure to set  ENHANCED_DAR_ENABLED=F|T properly.

Also OB2GENCATSEQNO=1 might be something to help you out.

• Import and Backuptests are surely not done with the NDMP-Agent but the normal BMA instead I assume.

Are you sure the NDMP-Device is properly set up and the Control host has all the right omnirc-Settings active?

OB2NDMPFH=Y|N is one of those variables that has to be changed depending on the Filer you use, unfortunately not sure on the details.

• That's not NDMP backup ( I use some but that one is HP-UX File-System)

Reply Children