Load Balance - Best Settings

Hi,

I´m using DP 6.20, with a Storagetek SL150 with 9 drives, we setting up load balance to MIN=1 and MAX=1 , yes use only 1 drive, but use a free drive.

My problem is DP tries to mount in a in use drive, gerenate a error and then try to mount in another drive, until it find a free drive. My monitoring solution get this error and open a ticket, but this is not a error.

I think we had 2 options:

1 - DP looks for free drives and mount directly in this drive

or

2 - DP doesn´t generete this error message

Thanks for any help or suggetion....

Tags:

Parents
  • Is the Library dedicated to DataProtector or shared with outer Applications?

If only DP uses the Lib you shouldn't get any errors from used Drives, the Lock-Management should prevent that from happening. that is assuming you use the same Lock-Name for all Devices-Configs to the same physical Device.

• Hi Svollrat,

Thanks for reply,

The Library is dedicated to DP.

This is the error I get:

[Critical] From: BMA@xxxxxxxxx "1 Local"  Time: 14/01/2015 18:35:26
    [90:63]      By: UMA@xxxxxxxxxx@Changer0:0:0:1
        Cannot load exchanger medium (Target drive is busy.)

And then DP try another drive.

About the configuration you told, Device Lock Name, I will try.....

• I think that JohnC_3's first response was right on the money.  You get the message 'Target Drive is Busy" because tehre is a tape already in the Drive.

It may be left over from a previous backup that failed ungracefully, failing to move the tape back to the slot;

it may be, as previously mentioned, that the Drive lock names were not setup correctly, although it seems like this has been addressed.

It may be that more than one cell has access to this tape library without a MOM Centralized Media Managed DataBase (NEVER a good idea)

You need to check the Library to see if a tape is inthe drive.  You can use any tool that you want

Commandview TL, if available

Library and Tape Tools (LTT) if available

The Data Protector UMA utility

Walk over to the tape library, and look at the control panel

In any case, if you see a drive is FULL, you must manually move teh tape out of it, back to a Storage slot

• I think that JohnC_3's first response was right on the money.  You get the message 'Target Drive is Busy" because tehre is a tape already in the Drive.

It may be left over from a previous backup that failed ungracefully, failing to move the tape back to the slot;

it may be, as previously mentioned, that the Drive lock names were not setup correctly, although it seems like this has been addressed.

It may be that more than one cell has access to this tape library without a MOM Centralized Media Managed DataBase (NEVER a good idea)

You need to check the Library to see if a tape is inthe drive.  You can use any tool that you want

In any case, if you see a drive is FULL, you must manually move teh tape out of it, back to a Storage slot

• Hi Bob,

We have only one Cell Manager and no other software accessing the Library.

About the tape in the drive sometimes the drive is in use , this is the situation, I want to DP check the drives before try to mount.

Of course a bad aborted backup could lock the tape but that is not the case.

And other question, for Library I can´t set eject after complete, is it right?

• Hi Bob,

About the tape in the drive sometimes the drive is in use , this is the situation, I want to DP check the drives before try to mount.

• Hi Bob,

• A Backup Job has to rewind and eject the Tape at the end of the Job, otherwise something is incorrectly configured.

Maybe you use the incorrect type of Device-Files/Paths?

Can you please confirm that you use the same Lock-Name for all Device-Definitions pointing to the same physical Drive?

If you have two Definitions to Tape_1 and one Lock is called Tape_1a and the other Tape_1b it won't work properly.

You should also check if you have mixed up scsi-path and library-locations. When the Device-Path changes it can happen that you want to query Drive Bay 1 but the Device-Path points to Drive in Bay x and causes errors.  Impact can be reduced by using "atomatically discover changes scsi address".

Please stop all Backups, make sure all Drives are dismounted and no scsi-locks are left there. Then Scan a Tape with each Device-Config you have while verifying the right Tape is mounted to the correct DriveSlot and reports back the same ID through the scsi-path.

• A Backup Job has to rewind and eject the Tape at the end of the Job, otherwise something is incorrectly configured.

Can you please confirm that you use the same Lock-Name for all Device-Definitions pointing to the same physical Drive?

If you have two Definitions to Tape_1 and one Lock is called Tape_1a and the other Tape_1b it won't work properly.

You should also check if you have mixed up scsi-path and library-locations. When the Device-Path changes it can happen that you want to query Drive Bay 1 but the Device-Path points to Drive in Bay x and causes errors.  Impact can be reduced by using "atomatically discover changes scsi address".

Please stop all Backups, make sure all Drives are dismounted and no scsi-locks are left there. Then Scan a Tape with each Device-Config you have while verifying the right Tape is mounted to the correct DriveSlot and reports back the same ID through the scsi-path.

• Hi svollrat

About your questions:

A Backup Job has to rewind and eject the Tape at the end of the Job, otherwise something is incorrectly configured -
    Where I check this settings, because in the device the option to eject media after session is grayed out.

About path and drives one, it´s all Ok and backups sessions are completing with success, the writing phase, my problems as I said is with monitoring system, because when they try to mount and the drive is busy it´s generate the error.

Thanks all guys for the help.

• Hi svollrat

About your questions:

A Backup Job has to rewind and eject the Tape at the end of the Job, otherwise something is incorrectly configured -
    Where I check this settings, because in the device the option to eject media after session is grayed out.

About path and drives one, it´s all Ok and backups sessions are completing with success, the writing phase, my problems as I said is with monitoring system, because when they try to mount and the drive is busy it´s generate the error.

Thanks all guys for the help.

Children