Question about LTO compression

Hi,
 In some cases  I find that an unexpectedly small amount of data is written to LTO tapes, just a little more than it should be able to contain without compression.
Is there a way to check how much data on LTO tapes is compressed in Data Protector ?

Parents
  • Hello,

Looking at your query - Is there a way to check how much data on LTO tapes is compressed in Data Protector ?

I guess it should be "what are the ways to check how much data on LTO tapes is compressed on a DP backup".

I may suggest that you log a DP SUPPORT CASE as this may need deep investigation - first would be to check how things are configured - HW OS   APPLICATION (DP side).

Same as what was mentioned in one of the reply - this depends on a lot of factors.

I would recommend to check the HW first - LTO Library/drives, and then determine the objects (files) you are backing-up.

Hope this helps

rgds,

Sherman

HPE DP SUPPORT

• Hello,

The support centre can't check from a distance your infrastructure. You can't expect them to drill down into your SAN zoning f.i. just to make my point.

LTT is prob ably the simpliest to test/check your compression ratio.

If you'd like to see it from a DP point of view; simple:

make a backup of a know amount of data

what's written on tape

restore your data (preferably somewhere else)

compare initial in- and final out-put

compile now your personal compression formula :-)

Luc

• Hello,

The support centre can't check from a distance your infrastructure. You can't expect them to drill down into your SAN zoning f.i. just to make my point.

LTT is prob ably the simpliest to test/check your compression ratio.

If you'd like to see it from a DP point of view; simple:

make a backup of a know amount of data

what's written on tape

restore your data (preferably somewhere else)

compare initial in- and final out-put

compile now your personal compression formula :-)

Luc

Children
  • Hello,

Yes - I am not looking at the whole infrastructure, such as the SAN zoning configuration.

What I mean by HW is information on the tape library/drives. What I mean by OS is what files is being backed-up.

And YES, I would concentrate more on the DP side - I need to check what is the device configuration (omnidownload) and the backup specification.

I need to check things first before recommending any "test backup". And any test backup will be dependent on what cu have.

Rgds,

Sherman

HPE DP Support