HP Data Protector 9 : How to remove specific session to get free space of that session in Tape?

HI All,

Wanna try to simplest as possible, i have only two tapes & 3 Jobs have been created to take 3 different backups on these two tapes. But the 1st backup in one of both tapes, has permenent retention.

Now both tapes are full, i want to remove just permanent retention session to make free space of that permanent session.

can i do that ? How?

Kettie

Parents
  • Hello,

you cannot free up space at the beginning of a tape if other sessions are behind the first session. You can only add session after the last session. You can only overwrite the whole tape after all sessions have been expired. You can remove the protection of one session. But you cannot use this unprotected space.

Thomas

• HI Thomas,

Thanks here with me, more simplification for my issue understanding, Suppose i have a tape in which almost 10 backups have been backed-up successfully rest of last one "giving mount request" as below:

Status               Backups      Protection         Data Type      Size

Completed      1stbackup    Permanent          full                10GB
    Completed     2ndbackup   not protected      incr               1GB
    Completed     3rdbackup    not protected      incr               1GB
    Completed     4thbackup    not protected      incr               1GB
    Completed     5thbackup    not protected      incr               1GB
    Completed     6thbackup    Permanent          full                14GB
    Completed     7thbackup    not protected      incr               1GB
    Completed     8thbackup    not protected      incr               1GB
    Completed     9thbackup    not protected      incr               1GB
    aborted          10thbackup   permanent          full                5GB

aborted session because of asking mount request. Tape has been full.
    Now how can i just remove this aborted session & 6thbackup to get back this 5GB & 14GB occupied space so that my tape can be reuse for next incr jobs.

• Hello,

that is not possible. You can only use this tape again if all sessions are unprotected.

You need two types of Mediapools. One for the permanent backups, and another one for the incrementel backups which expire after a few days. For that you need two backupjobs with different protection time and mediapools.

Thomas

• > how can i just remove this aborted session & 6thbackup

Tapes are a sequential access device.  You can only append or rewrite the whole tape.  You need a disk for random access.
  • Hello,

for your used tapes you can collect all the full backups and make object copies to a fresh tape.  Use "change data and catalog protection after success...." and set to none. After that you can re- use the old tape.

For the future: copy your backup specification. One spec is scheduled with the incrementals to an special incemental pool. The second spec is scheduled for an dedicated full pool. So you can fill your tapes with permanent protected  objects only.

But for my opinion there is no need for permanent. Better you store your long term tapes together with mcf files. But this is just my opinion....

Mathias

• Hello,

for your used tapes you can collect all the full backups and make object copies to a fresh tape.  Use "change data and catalog protection after success...." and set to none. After that you can re- use the old tape.

For the future: copy your backup specification. One spec is scheduled with the incrementals to an special incemental pool. The second spec is scheduled for an dedicated full pool. So you can fill your tapes with permanent protected  objects only.

But for my opinion there is no need for permanent. Better you store your long term tapes together with mcf files. But this is just my opinion....

Mathias

Children
No Data