Unable to connect to the remote client

Hi,

We are running DP 9.05 on a Windows 2008 R2 server and I am trying to install the disk agent on some HP-UX clients. The one client installed without any issues but on the second one it just does not want to connect. The two clients are very similar in their configuration but I keep on getting the following error.

If anybody has run into this before or could point me to a log file that will give me a better idea of where the issue is I would appreciate any help. From the messages it looks like it's possible to connect using secure shell but I have never configured data protector to use it. Is there some documentation that will step me through the process.

[Normal]  Starting installation session on Wednesday, February 10, 2016, 9:16:03 AM...
[Normal]  Getting list of clients for installation...
[Normal]  Connecting to client mydomain.com...
[Normal] <mydomain.com>  Checking for response from system mydomain.com.
[Warning] <mydomain.com>  Could not use secure shell protocol, instead using rexec and rcp commands...
[Normal] <mydomain.com>  Valid username and password must be specified...
[Normal]  Connecting to client mydomain.com...
[Normal] <mydomain.com>  Checking for response from system mydomain.com.
[Critical] <mydomain.com>  Could not connect to the remote client.
     Connection attempts with the rexec and rcp commands failed...
[Critical] <mydomain.com>  Error connecting to client mydomain.com
    Skipping client!
[Normal]  Installation session finished on Wednesday, February 10, 2016, 9:17:21 AM.

Parents
  • Verified Answer

Hi.

Are you sure that the target HP-UX server has rsh/rexec enabled? These services are typically disabled these days as they are insecure. The session report indicates that SSH installation was attempted to begin with, but did not succeed, presumably because the IS's public key was not added to the target client's authorized keys file. My suggestion would be to read the SSH installation section of DP's Installation guide, and follow the steps given there. The process should not take more than 5-10 minutes to understand the first time.

Regards,

Shishir

• Verified Answer

Hi.

Are you sure that the target HP-UX server has rsh/rexec enabled? These services are typically disabled these days as they are insecure. The session report indicates that SSH installation was attempted to begin with, but did not succeed, presumably because the IS's public key was not added to the target client's authorized keys file. My suggestion would be to read the SSH installation section of DP's Installation guide, and follow the steps given there. The process should not take more than 5-10 minutes to understand the first time.

Regards,

Shishir

Children
  • Hi Shishir,

You were right on the "rsh/rexec" being disabled. The target server had it's "inetd.conf " file renamed to "inetd.conf.old" somehow. I do not recall renaming it but once I put it back I was able to install the data protector software.

I installed "openssl" on both the installation server and the target server and I am able to ssh between the two servers without any issue but I have not been able to get my cell manager that is running on a Windows server to talk to the clients via SSH.

I had followed the documentation but I am sure that I missed the part where I need to do something for the cell manager. Will do some reading again to see what I missed.

Thanks for the help so far. Much appreciated.