Perform backup to tape and disk

Hi,

I'm pretty new in using Data Protector. I've "inherited" the environment from a retired colleague. At the moment we have two backup jobs which are running one after another. One on disk and the other on tape. Is it possible to configure only one job which do the backup on both at the same time?

The problem is that one full backup to both destinations take about 3 days and my intention is to reduce the network traffic. 

Regards,
Thiemo

• Backup to disk: do you mean a ZDB disk-only backup, or backup to one of the disk-based devices (file library, file jukebox, or StoreOnce/DDBoost)?

• We are using StoreOnce for the B2D.

• Hi Thiemo,

By "job" did you mean a DP Backup Schedule job?
    If each job is writing up to a different device, which is true in your case:
    Job 1: Writes to StoreOnce devices.
    Job 2: Writes to tape.
    And assuming there's no special prerequisites, like some backup must complete before the next one begins, then you can just run both jobs at the same time.

You can also actually combine both backups to a single job by simply merging both sets of devices (tape and StoreOnce) together. DP has no problem writing to both tape and StoreOnce simultaneously. It will decide what data to write to which device. But this is probably not what you want because the data will be scattered everywhere, and presumably the tape backups are meant to be stored remotely.

How much data are you backing up? 3 days is a long time for a single full backup. There may be data inconsistency problems between the time it starts and it completes.

Rgds,

Alex

• Hi Alex

By "job" did you mean a DP Backup Schedule job?

Yes. 

If each job is writing up to a different device, which is true in your case:
    Job 1: Writes to StoreOnce devices.
    Job 2: Writes to tape.
    And assuming there's no special prerequisites, like some backup must complete before the next one begins, then you can just run both jobs at the same time.

But will this reduce the network load / disk load of the source? I think the bottleneck is our 1 Gb/s network connection to the server. 

You can also actually combine both backups to a single job by simply merging both sets of devices (tape and StoreOnce) together. DP has no problem writing to both tape and StoreOnce simultaneously. It will decide what data to write to which device. But this is probably not what you want because the data will be scattered everywhere, and presumably the tape backups are meant to be stored remotely.

That is what I've tried by myself and the result is not what I'm looking for, as you said.

How much data are you backing up? 3 days is a long time for a single full backup. There may be data inconsistency problems between the time it starts and it completes.

We are backing up about 55TB

Regards,
    Thiemo

• Hi Thiemo,

What's the tape format you are using? If the total data is 55TB and you have have only a 1GBps connection then the bottleneck is already there.

From the original posting, there are two requirements:
    1) Configure one job to backup both disk and tape at the same time.
    2) Reduce network traffic if possible.
    IMO running both backups at the same time is unlikely to slow it down much more.

Suggestions:
    #1: It sounds like a *full* backup is being run every time. There is no incremental or differential backup configured? This will greatly reduce your backup runtime and load, since part of your backup is going to Storeonce disk anyway.
    #2: Writing to tape is going to be another bottleneck. To reduce the stress on the traffic and on your source maybe you can consider backing everything up to StoreOnce first then using Object Copy to transfer the data meant for the tape from Storeonce directly there. With this way, the data transfer is from your source -> Storeonce -> tape.
    #3: If the server's network speed is only 1 Gbps then it must have only 1 UTP cable. If the server has more than one network port try teaming the network connections you should be able to at least double the speed. New servers should have at least 4 network ports available.

#1 and #2 will let Storeonce handle the load while reducing the pressure on your source servers.

Hope your Storeonce device has at least a 4Gbps/8Gbps fiber connection otherwise the limitations are physical and should be addressed first.

Rgds,

Alex

• Hi Alex,

sorry I should have describe our environment a little more precise for that detailed discussion.
    We have 4 LTO5 drives(SAS) attached to 2 server and we are writing to the StoreOnce store from both too.
    I've got a new Server and new storage for the backup and I'll get a new tapelibrary in a few weeks. My plan is to build everything up from scratch, because I'm sure that the actual configuration is suboptimal. Therefor I asked that question.

1#: Thats only on the weekends when we perform a full backup. On weekdays we will use incr. backups.
    2#: If I copy the backup from StoreOnce to the tape, are they also dedublicated and do I need all tapes to restore one maschine?
    3# The server are older ones and have only 2 ports but one is for the iSCSI connection.

Thanks for your help.

Rgds,
    Thiemo

• Hi Thiemo,

If you are building up a new backup policy, then IMHO its better to backup as much as possible directly to StoreOnce and then only write from StoreOnce to the tapes if you can send them for offsite storage. Tapes being a linear system should really be for these offsite archival purposes nowadays. Data restoration from tapes will also be a lot slower. The objective is as before, to reduce the stress on your older source servers.

You have to account for your company's backup policy too if management has defined one. At my site our policy is that we are required to copy the daily backups from StoreOnce to tapes (we are also using LTO5) twice a week to send for remote storage. We rotate the tape sets every week.

From my experience running an online database backup to StoreOnce with Catalyst is faster than backing up to tape by at least 30% because of the multiple location dedup capabilities. Without Catalyst the performance is about the same.

When you run Object Copy from StoreOnce to tape the data will be rehydrated. Which tapes are required for restoration is just determined by which tapes were written to during the Object Copy.

Rgds,

Alex