Data Protector with granular recovery extension on vCenter 5.1

Dear All,

I am starting to integrate the DP GRE with vCenter 5.1. 

I am using the evaluation license on vCenter 5.1 at t his moment, can I use install GRE web plug-in compoent in this vCenter?

Why I ask this because I got the error message as below

There was a problem during VMware Granular Recovery Extension Web Plug-In installation. Check if the target system has VMware vCenter Server installed and configured

Would you mind to share your valuable experience if have this error occur before?

Thanks.

Parents
  • Hi All

I have the same problem as described here.

Followed the installation as statet in the doc and here

- Added vCenter Server as "Disk Agent" Client

- Added vCenter Server as VMware vCenter

- Try to install GRE Extension > i receive the same error

I tried to install the extension with cli on the CM Server and on the vCenter server. Allways the same error.

Additional the second (or third) time i tried to install the extension, I receive following error

"{30692C3E-7A60-4BD4-B021-213055B1810F}: related product unexpectedly absent from the system."

Unfortunately there is not much information in the web about these problems.

If I try to install the GRE Extension on the vCenter by running setup.exe (from the x8664 folder on installation disk) I can not find the GRE Extension (there is the Sharepoint and Exchange GRE, VMware legacy integration, VMware VAE Integration, with others but no VMware GRE Extension).

If I look at the vCenter drive, i do not see the "webapps\VMWareGRE" folder.

Also I don't find the "vmwgre_wp.cmd" script, neither on the CM nor on the VC Server.

I use following Versions:

- vSphere and vCenter Server : 5.1

- DataProtector : 7.0 with Patch DPWINBDL_00701

As said, everything works fine

- VMbased Backups

- VMware Site Recovery Manager

- and so on

The question(s) I have:

- is there anything else I can make?

- cause security requirements, the vCenter server is not part of the domain (just a workgroup server)

Any input will be appreciated.

regards

giusi

• Hi ,

Could you please try delete the vCenter server delete and add it again?

0.delete the directory webapps\VMWareGRE and remove gre plugin from http://Vc/mob ->content->extension manager.

1.Add the VC server as a client with Virtual Environment Agent.

2.Import the same client as Virtual Center server.

3.Now add components for Vmware GRE and extension.

• Hello Ranjit -

I am having exact issue with DP 7.00 and vCenter 5.1 (cab't install web plug in). the solution you provided isn't working, In fact it does not apply for vCenter 5.1 I guess. 

Thanks,

~Bish 

EMC Corp.

• Hi

try if You can get following patches:

SSPNT700_014

SSPNT700_017

After installing these patches, I could install the GRE Plugin

gruss

giusi

• kindly share the download link for downloading the SSPNT700_014 and so on pathces to install GRE web plugins

• Hi,

you need to open up a support call to get those SSPs 

• Hi!,

I have the same error but before the post-installation script. I go open a case with support for the patch, atfer that, i post the results.

Anyway, i see this errors in debug.log:

14/03/2013 10:12:01  OMNICC.8776.9000 ["/cli/omnicc.c $Rev: 30902 $ $Date:: 2012-05-10 15:15:01":800] A.07.00 b101
    Could not open host format file C:\Program Files\OmniBack\config\client\modules\vmwaregre_webplugin.conf.
    [install_service]: SetServiceStatus(STOPPED) failed, err=6

Is it same thing?

Diogo

• Hi,

After the installation of SSPNT700_014, the integration should create the directory and the files correctly. But, the post installation fails, the debug.log shows:

3/19/2013 10:09:52 AM  vmwaregre-agent.exe.7760.736 ["integ/vmware/GRE/Agent/vCenter/SessionFactory.cpp $Rev: 13528 $ $Date:: 2010-09-29 10:58:29":150] A.07.00 bSSPNT700_014
    [VMware::vCenter::SessionFactory::LoginStandardSecurity] Exception: Log on to Virtual Center vcenter.domain.com could not be performed.
     Details: Web service error: Cannot complete login due to an incorrect user name or password.
    2013-03-19 10:09:52 VMWGRE_WP.5184 ('/integ/perl/Omniback.pm 30893':1681) A.07.00 b101
    vmwaregre-agent -register_plugin returned *RETVAL*18000
    Log on to Virtual Center vcenter.domain.com could not be performed.
    Log on to Virtual Center vcenter.domain.com could not be performed.
    Details:Web service error: Cannot complete login due to an incorrect user name or password.

The VEPA backup and restore is working fine. Only the installation of GRE web Plugin fails...

YES: the password is correct.

Any idea ?

Diogo

• Hi Diogo,

I can replicate this error with correct password: 

[ -2] 2013-03-20 11:30:21 ("integ/vmware/GRE/Agent/vCenter/SessionFactory.cpp $Rev: 13528 $ $Date:: 2010-09-29 10:58:29":150) A.07.00 bSSPNT700_014
    [ -2] [VMware::vCenter::SessionFactory::LoginStandardSecurity] Exception: Log on to Virtual Center vcent51.dp70.local could not be performed.
    Details: Web service error: Cannot complete login due to an incorrect user name or password.

This happens if in the Vcenter credentials the user is not in format domain\username like -appserver_user "ADMINISTRATOR"  . This is also a problem with Hyper-V environments.

If I change this in the Login tab for the Vcenter in clients menu repectively the entry in cell_info  to -appserver_user "dp70\ADMINISTRATOR" and then run vmwgre_wp.cmd on the Vcenter it registers the plugin fine. 

• Hi markovdi,

Tanks for your reply, but the credentials  are in the format that you say.

Check the  cell_info file in this environment:

-host "server.domain.com" -os "microsoft amd64 wNT-6.1-S" -cs A.07.00 -da A.07.00 -ma A.07.00 -cc A.07.00 -docs A.07.00 -vepa A.07.00 -vmwaregre_agent A.07.00 -vmwaregre_webplugin A.07.00 -StoreOnceSoftware A.07.00 -appserver_subtype "vcenter" -appserver_type "vmwarehost" -appserver_integrated_security "0" -appserver_cert "" -appserver_pass "Hscgv~'imztoi9.uwn" -appserver_port 443 -appserver_user "domain\user" -appserver_web_root "/sdk -appserver_organization"

This  server is: CM, MA, Backup Host and the vCenter Server. Windows 2008 R2 SP1.

The backup of VEPA is OK. Without errors or warnings.

Diogo

• Hi markovdi,

Tanks for your reply, but the credentials  are in the format that you say.

Check the  cell_info file in this environment:

-host "server.domain.com" -os "microsoft amd64 wNT-6.1-S" -cs A.07.00 -da A.07.00 -ma A.07.00 -cc A.07.00 -docs A.07.00 -vepa A.07.00 -vmwaregre_agent A.07.00 -vmwaregre_webplugin A.07.00 -StoreOnceSoftware A.07.00 -appserver_subtype "vcenter" -appserver_type "vmwarehost" -appserver_integrated_security "0" -appserver_cert "" -appserver_pass "Hscgv~'imztoi9.uwn" -appserver_port 443 -appserver_user "domain\user" -appserver_web_root "/sdk -appserver_organization"

This  server is: CM, MA, Backup Host and the vCenter Server. Windows 2008 R2 SP1.

The backup of VEPA is OK. Without errors or warnings.

Diogo

Children
No Data