ORA-01017: invalid username/password; logon denied

Hello everyone,

We're suddenly getting this error now on a few oracle database jobs in DP(but others are ok) that have been working for years.  I checked and verified the username/password and they are still ok so that is not the issue yet DP thinks it is.  Any ideas on how to fix this? 

Thanks in advance for your time!

Dave

The database reported error while performing requested operation.
SBT_LIBRARY=/opt/omni/lib/libob2oracle8_64bit.so
CHILDERROR:1
Process exit code: 1, Signal: 0
RMAN PID=22529
APPERROR:
RMAN-00571: ===========================================================
RMAN-00569: =============== ERROR MESSAGE STACK FOLLOWS ===============
RMAN-00571: ===========================================================
ORA-01017: invalid username/password; logon denied
Recovery Manager complete.

Tags:

• I'm not sure how you verified the username and password were correct, but, what I usually recommend first is to make sure that your login string is correct outside of Data Protector

On the Oracle server, run

sqlplus /nolog

connect username/password@service as sysdba

Of course, you would use the Username and password that you are trying to connect with and 'service' can be found in the 'tnsnames.ora' file, although, more often than not, it is the name of the instance

If this doesn't connect, then the problem is on the Oracle side

If it does connect, I suggest that you redo the Integration, as the Configuration file may have become corrupt.  This can be done either from the GUI in the Backup -> Oracle context, right-clicking on the Oracle server, and pick Configure, or, from the command prompt on the Oracle server

You didn't specify what version of DP, so I can't be more specific, but, the procedure for either method is in the Oracle Integration Guide

• Hi,

the error you posted is not a Data Protector error, it is the result given by RMAN. So, with the credentials configured in Data Protector, RMAN sees a wrong username or password. Try to reconfigure and make sure the sqlplus stuff Bob told is working.

Best regards

Daniel

• Hi and thank-you for your suggestions.  I have checked both the rman username/password and the username/password for the db user and both are ok yet DP keeps stating that error.  It's like DP is stuck.  I tried deleting the job and readding it.  Something is stuck somewhere because when I clicked the first next while setting up a new job all the configuration fields are filled in with the job I deleted.  I tried logging out of DP and the host it is on and back on and it still seems to "remember" the configs for that job.  This seems very strange, it should not do that.

Any other ideas?

Thx,

Dave

• Remove the Oracle configuration file

UNIX Cell Manager

/etc/opt/omni/server/Integ/config/Oracle8

Windows 2003 Cell Manager

Program Files -> Omniback -> COnfig -> Server -> Integ -> Config -> Oracle8

Windows 2008 Cell Manager

ProgramData -> Omniback -> COnfig -> Server -> Integ -> Config -> Oracle8

The configuration file will be named [instancename]%server name       without the [   ] marks

This will mean that you are starting off fresh, creating a new Configuration file

UNIX Cell Manager

The configuration file will be named [instancename]%server name       without the [   ] marks

This will mean that you are starting off fresh, creating a new Configuration file

UNIX Cell Manager

• Bob,

Thanks for your post.  I found the files and deleted them(windows cell manager) that DP created for each of our 2 unix nodes and that cleared the form when I fired DP up and began adding the job.  However I still get the same error.  I  tried choosing the use control file option vs the rman catalog option but it still gives me the rman invalid username and password error. Again I verified that the username and password works and here me showing my work:

ddcpayp1:10g2:ddcdb1:/opt/oracle>rman target / catalog rman/xxxxxxxx@ddcadmp

Recovery Manager: Release 10.2.0.4.0 - Production on Tue Apr 1 12:59:20 2014

Copyright (c) 1982, 2007, Oracle. All rights reserved.

connected to target database: DDCPAYP (DBID=3032698228)
    connected to recovery catalog database

RMAN> exit

Recovery Manager complete.
    ddcpayp1:10g2:ddcdb1:/opt/oracle>sqlplus dp_backup

SQL*Plus: Release 10.2.0.4.0 - Production on Tue Apr 1 13:00:27 2014

Copyright (c) 1982, 2007, Oracle. All Rights Reserved.

Enter password:

Connected to:
    Oracle Database 10g Enterprise Edition Release 10.2.0.4.0 - 64bit Production
    With the Partitioning, Real Application Clusters, OLAP, Data Mining
    and Real Application Testing options

SQL>

Any other ideas(that one was great btw)?

Sincerely,

Dave

• Have you tried connecting in the manner I first suggested?

sqlplus /nolog

This is the way that Data Protector tries to log in to the Oracle database.  You cannot use any o fthe know shortcuts, like

connect / as sysdba

or

connect username/password@service

If you can commect this way

and yet, cannot connect using the DP GUI to configure the instance, you will probably need to open a case with the response center

• Yes I can connect(I previouly verified sysdba was granted on both nodes to dp_backup user).  I will open a ticket then.  Thanks for your help Bob!

NONE:10g2:ddcdb1:/opt/oracle/etc>sqlplus /nolog

SQL*Plus: Release 10.2.0.4.0 - Production on Tue Apr 1 15:10:09 2014

SQL> connect dp_backup/xxxxxxxx@ddcpayp1 as sysdba
    Connected.
    SQL>

Dave

• Yes I can connect(I previouly verified sysdba was granted on both nodes to dp_backup user).  I will open a ticket then.  Thanks for your help Bob!

NONE:10g2:ddcdb1:/opt/oracle/etc>sqlplus /nolog

SQL*Plus: Release 10.2.0.4.0 - Production on Tue Apr 1 15:10:09 2014

SQL> connect dp_backup/xxxxxxxx@ddcpayp1 as sysdba
    Connected.
    SQL>

Dave