Aborting session

Hello,

I have an object copy session that runs on the weekend where a copy is created from a local StoreOnce Software Store  onto a StoreOnce VSA at another location. Sometimes that copy is still runing Monday morning and I have to abort the session to free up bandwith. This Monday morning it was at 94%.

My question now is what happens to the 94% that were already copied? I would like to keep that data on the StoreOnce VSA. And is there a difference between aborting the session and canceling the device?

Thank you.

Parents
  • Verified Answer

This is object copy, not replication? If so, then I guess it depends:

- If there were multiple objects, those that finished completely by the time you aborted, should be intact, restorable and protected.

- aborting while object was being copied would result in an aborted object. It would show up in IDB, but it may not be protected and maybe not restorable at all (e.g. if B2D catalog/metadata was not written).

>And is there a difference between aborting the session and cancelling the device

The difference is in scope of the abort that occurs.

When you abort a session, session manager sends abort to all agents involved.

When you cancel a device, abort is sent to that device and the DAs or MAs that are related to it. However, depending on the situation (type of session, number of devices and their relationships), outcome may be equivalent to aborting a session.

• Verified Answer

This is object copy, not replication? If so, then I guess it depends:

- If there were multiple objects, those that finished completely by the time you aborted, should be intact, restorable and protected.

- aborting while object was being copied would result in an aborted object. It would show up in IDB, but it may not be protected and maybe not restorable at all (e.g. if B2D catalog/metadata was not written).

>And is there a difference between aborting the session and cancelling the device

The difference is in scope of the abort that occurs.

When you abort a session, session manager sends abort to all agents involved.

When you cancel a device, abort is sent to that device and the DAs or MAs that are related to it. However, depending on the situation (type of session, number of devices and their relationships), outcome may be equivalent to aborting a session.

Children