RMAN backup taking too much time for completion

Hi,

We have DP integrated with RMAN where we have two database one is primary database and another is logical standby database,total data is around 3.5TB & 5.5TB respectively and time taken for completion is more than 15 to16 hrs, which we have to abort as we cannot run these backup during business hours.(backup start time 7:15pm logical standby & 8:pm primary db ) as per IST.

Can anyone help me to know whtr time it is taking for backup completion is correct or any issue is there?

Cell Manager OS windows 2003 enterprise edition

DP version 7.0

DB server HP-unix 11.31

medium we are using to take backup LTO-4(1.6 TB)

Thanks in advance...

Parents
  • Assuming you only use one LTO4-Drive and the Data does not compress much your Backup would easily take 20-22h for those 9TB.

Best way to speed things up is to increase the number of concurrent Tapedrives and RMAN-Streams and to distribute the Datafiles as evenly as possible across all Stream.s

To see the max. possible Speed try a Backup to local Null-Device with 8 or 16 Streams.

• Hi Svollrat

Thanks  but I think I have given incomplete information...

My Primary Database and Logical standby database backup runs in different Tape Drive parallelly and yes only one LTO4-Drive we use for both the backup,allocated different medium(Tape). These backup we run with 5 channel...

let us take an example:-

ABC(Primary Database)------>running in drive1-----tape from slot 1 & 2

XYZ(Logical Standby Database)------->drive2------tape from slot 3,4 and 5

from above example u can see  XYZ database uses 3 number of tape.

also  "increase the number of concurrent Tapedrives" my question is can we run same backup(in this case ABC or XYZ)in two different drive at same time? 

Please help me to understand this" RMAN-Streams and to distribute the Datafiles as evenly as possible across all Stream.s" what is stream? is it channel?

• An RMAN-Channel is only a logical Target where Data-Streams can be written to.

Did I understand you correctly that each of your two Databases writes with 5 concurrent Channels to one LTO-Drive?

You can try increasing the Drive-Concurrency and the Channels f.E. to 8 to back up more Datafiles at once.

Also adding another Tapedrive to the Barlist and saving additional 5 or 8 Streams in parallel will increase speed.

• An RMAN-Channel is only a logical Target where Data-Streams can be written to.

Did I understand you correctly that each of your two Databases writes with 5 concurrent Channels to one LTO-Drive?

You can try increasing the Drive-Concurrency and the Channels f.E. to 8 to back up more Datafiles at once.

Also adding another Tapedrive to the Barlist and saving additional 5 or 8 Streams in parallel will increase speed.

Children
No Data