DataProtector 9.04 VSS integration backup fails

Hi

Got an error during a VSS backup on two clients

[Normal] From: OB2BAR_VSSBAR@srv-ap-020.corp.odinfond.no "MSVSSW" Time: 12.11.2015 10:32:48

Updating writer configuration.

[Major] From: OB2BAR_VSSBAR@srv-ap-020.corp.odinfond.no "MSVSSW" Time: 12.11.2015 10:33:05

[145:850] Could not find supported VSS System / Software Provider for volume '\\ODIN-SRV-71\PROGRAMS$\'.

[Major] From: OB2BAR_VSSBAR@srv-ap-020.corp.odinfond.no "MSVSSW" Time: 12.11.2015 10:33:05

Cannot perform backup of:

/System Writer/Components/Win32 Services Files

[Normal] From: OB2BAR_VSSBAR@srv-ap-020.corp.odinfond.no "MSVSSW" Time: 12.11.2015 10:33:05

Entering Shadow Copy Set creation phase.

Client is Windows 2012R2 server.

Dataprotector 9.04

Since \\ODIN-SRV-71\PROGRAMS$ is on a network share i wonder why this occurs.

Any suggestions where to look ?

Parents
  • Using MS Volume Shadow Copy Writers

Byt why does a UNC path show as a volume in the selection and fails in the job. I have not selected a UNC volume in the job, it is not a option.

Only selected Filesystem c:\, System writer and WMI writer

• If you intend to save a Filesystem better use the FileSystem Integration, not the VSS-Writer Integration.

While setting up the VSS-Integration, did you select backuptype "local or network backup" (default) or the "VSS transportable backup" option? Latter one is used for Off-Host Backup only in junction with Storage-Level Integration (EVA, EMC, etc).

• The reason that i tried the VSS backup of the VM is that it told me what went wrong during backup. When trying to do a backup thru Hyper-V host the job failed at the system writer. It seems that using backup thru the Virtual Environment it takes backup using all the VSS writers that resides on the host.

So i wonder why it takes backup of the "System Writer:\Win32 Services Files". As far as i can see it should not happen since the Win32 service files should be excluded from the System Writers system component by default.

}\ [C:\]
                            - Component Dependencies:
                    Component "System Writer:\Win32 Services Files"
                            - Name: Win32 Services Files
                            - Logical path:
                            - Full path: \Win32 Services Files
                            - Caption: Win32 Services Files
                            - Type: VSS_CT_FILEGROUP [2]
                            - Is selectable: TRUE
                            - Is top level: TRUE
                            - Notify on backup complete: FALSE
                            - Paths affected by this component:
                                    - \\odin-srv-71\programs$\scdimension\prod\bin
                                    - c:\program files (x86)\ibm\websphere mq\bin
                                    - c:\program files (x86)\symantec\symantec endpo
    int protection\12.1.6318.6100.105\bin
                                    - c:\program files (x86)\symantec\symantec endpo
    int protection\12.1.6318.6100.105\bin64
                                    - c:\program files\microsoft policy platform
                                    - c:\program files\omniback\bin
                                    - c:\program files\op5\nsclient
                                    - c:\windows\ccm
                                    - c:\windows\ccm\remctrl
                            - Volumes affected by this component:
                                    - \\ODIN-SRV-71\PROGRAMS$\ [Does not exist]
                                   - \\?\Volume{db7f9447-3098-470b-ae61-16e7ab9b2b42

How do i remove the UNC path ?

• Still don't get why using the VSS-Integration at all. Please try the normal Filesystem-Backup and let us know if that also results in error.

That VSS-Integration quiesces all Writers on the specified Volume is normal and cannot be disabled for particular Writers.

• Still don't get why using the VSS-Integration at all. Please try the normal Filesystem-Backup and let us know if that also results in error.

That VSS-Integration quiesces all Writers on the specified Volume is normal and cannot be disabled for particular Writers.

Reply Children