How to configure GRE for VMWare

Hello,

We have a Windows 2016 Cell Manager with DP 10.91 and I'm trying to configure GRE for VMWare.

Our VCenter server is version 7

We use the Cell Manager as the Mount Proxy system.

So far I've installed Virtual Environment Integration and VMWare Granular Recovery Extension Agent on our Cell Manager (which is also the mount proxy system).

Then I imported our vCenter into the cell as VMWare vCenter and checked the option for HTML5 GRE Web Plug-in.

After that I can see in the vSphere Client that the plug-in deployed successfully but I cannot see any Data Protector tab. The only thing I can find related to GRE, is an option named "Granular Recovery" under the tab "Configure" in every virtual machine (see attached screenshot)

Is that correct?

Also, when trying to connect to cell manager through that option (in the above screen) I get the error "Provided credentials are invalid. Please provide valid credentials!" I tried many accounts that have access to the CM without success. Which account should I use to login to the cell manager?

Maybe I'm missing some steps... I need to know how to proceed...

Please help.

• Verified Answer

Hello Despina_1,

This looks just fine. To login and use the VMware GRE plugin you will need to use the Data Protector Web User username from the Data Protector GUI. See Data Protector Users context. You can copy the Web User name from there and assign a password. You may also omniusers command on the Cell Manager for this.

Regards,
    Sebastian Koehler

• Hi Sebastian

Thank you so much for your reply, I follow your advice and finally managed to connect.

But now I have another issue. The GRE plug-in does not display any of my backups. I tried to create a request and it just keeps loading, it never ends and no backups listed.

What is wrong?

• Suggested Answer

Hello Despina_1,

This may happen for various reasons. You may need to check the following:

• You may have Windows or Linux clients with VEPA and VMware GRE installed, that are unreachable on the network
    • The VCSA may have issues to resolve the Cell Manager or the clients with VEPA and VMware GRE installed
    • A firewall may block connection between vCenter, Cell Manager and client with VEPA/GRE

Looking into the /var/log/vmware/vsphere-ui/logs/vsphere_client_virgo.log may help to find out where it is failing.

Regards,
    Sebastian Koehler

• Hi Sebastian,

The only client with VEPA and GRE is our Cell Manager and it is reachable on the network.

I will look into the firewall side and let you know.

As for the vsphere_client_virgo.log it has too many records... I copied some of them regarding the GRE and I attached the file for you to see. 

vsphere_client_virgo.log
    [2021-10-20T10:34:05.106Z] [INFO ] Thread-266                    com.microfocus.vmware.gre.services.util.SecureRestCall            [excuteQueryService] service url: https://s10bck01.ppa.olp
    .gr:7116/dp-config-server/restws/agentconnect
    [2021-10-20T10:34:06.235Z] [INFO ] Thread-266                    com.microfocus.vmware.gre.services.util.AgentSocketClient         [remoteStartAgentEx] Successfully started requested agent
    on target system: s10bck01b.ppa.olp.gr
    [2021-10-20T10:34:06.235Z] [INFO ] Thread-266                    com.microfocus.vmware.gre.services.util.AgentSocketClient         [remoteStartAgentEx] Response data: {"returnCode":"0","col
    umn":["port=117806,inetPort=5565"]}
    [2021-10-20T10:34:06.235Z] [INFO ] Thread-266                    com.microfocus.vmware.gre.services.util.AgentSocketClient         [getRunningAgentPort] Agent port: 117806
    [2021-10-20T10:34:06.235Z] [INFO ] Thread-266                    com.microfocus.vmware.gre.services.util.AgentSocketClient         [getRunningAgentPort] Inet port: 5565
    [2021-10-20T10:34:06.235Z] [INFO ] Thread-266                    com.microfocus.vmware.gre.services.util.AgentSocketClient         [connectoToAgent] cellMgrHost: s10bck01.ppa.olp.gr, target
    Host: s10bck01b.ppa.olp.gr, vCenter: vmwvcenter01.ppa.olp.gr
    [2021-10-20T10:34:06.235Z] [INFO ] Thread-266                    com.microfocus.vmware.gre.services.util.AgentSocketClient         [connectoToAgent] Connecting to Inet...
    [2021-10-20T10:34:06.235Z] [INFO ] Thread-266                    com.microfocus.vmware.gre.services.util.AgentSocketClient         [connectoToAgent] InetHostname: s10bck01b.ppa.olp.gr
    [2021-10-20T10:34:06.238Z] [ERROR] Thread-266                    com.microfocus.vmware.gre.services.util.InetClient                [createSocket] Error: UnknownHostException java.net.Unknow
    nHostException: s10bck01b.ppa.olp.gr
            at java.net.AbstractPlainSocketImpl.connect(AbstractPlainSocketImpl.java:184)
            at java.net.SocksSocketImpl.connect(SocksSocketImpl.java:392)
            at java.net.Socket.connect(Socket.java:607)
            at java.net.Socket.connect(Socket.java:556)
            at java.net.Socket.<init>(Socket.java:452)
            at java.net.Socket.<init>(Socket.java:229)
            at javax.net.DefaultSocketFactory.createSocket(SocketFactory.java:271)
            at com.microfocus.vmware.gre.services.util.InetClient.createSocket(InetClient.java:70)
            at com.microfocus.vmware.gre.services.util.InetClient.connect(InetClient.java:202)
            at com.microfocus.vmware.gre.services.util.AgentSocketClient.connecToAgent(AgentSocketClient.java:304)
            at com.microfocus.vmware.gre.services.util.AgentSocketClient.remoteStartAgentEx(AgentSocketClient.java:185)
            at com.microfocus.vmware.gre.services.util.AgentSocketClient.run(AgentSocketClient.java:95)
            at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748)

[2021-10-20T10:34:06.238Z] [INFO ] Thread-266                    com.microfocus.vmware.gre.services.util.AgentSocketClient         [connectoToAgent] Caught 'InetServiceNotExists' exception,
    except msg: null
    [2021-10-20T10:34:06.238Z] [ERROR] Thread-266                    com.microfocus.vmware.gre.services.util.AgentSocketClient         [remoteStartAgentEx] Caught 'InetServiceNotExists' excepti
    on, msg: null
    [2021-10-20T10:34:06.238Z] [ERROR] Thread-266                    com.microfocus.vmware.gre.services.util.AgentSocketClient         Error: AgentStartFailed
    [2021-10-20T10:34:06.238Z] [ERROR] http-nio-5090-exec-271        com.microfocus.vmware.gre.services.GREDataService                 [sendAgentRequest] Exception in sendAgentRequest. java.lan
    g.NullPointerException: null

Regards,

Despina.

• Verified Answer

Hello Despina_1,

This is the issue on the VCSA. Make sure DNS is working for the Cell Manager name or add this to /etc/hosts and retry the process.

[createSocket] Error: UnknownHostException java.net.UnknownHostException: s10bck01b.ppa.olp.gr

Regards,
    Sebastian Koehler

• Hi Sebastian,

Thank you so much for your help. I will try your suggestion and let you know.

Regards,

Despina

•  

Thanks Sebastian,

It was a name resolution issue after all.

Regards,

Despina