DP SmartCache device - Is it really worth using

I'm looking at VMWARE backups with DP. I know the integration but I'm trying to understand what the real benefit of SmartCache is against normal catalyst / B2D devices??

Has anyone used them and/or have experience with them?

Parents
  • Hi KloppYNWA69,

SmartCache itself works pretty well, while it does not reduce backup data. The real benefit of SmartCache is GRE without previous staging, PowerOn and Live Migrate for VMs from backup. If you can wait a few days/weeks you will see the same GRE, PowerOn, LiveMigrate functionality on StoreOnce Catalyst with Data Protector A.09.07. Stay tuned! :)

Regards,
    Sebastian Koehler

• Hi KloppYNWA69,

SmartCache itself works pretty well, while it does not reduce backup data. The real benefit of SmartCache is GRE without previous staging, PowerOn and Live Migrate for VMs from backup. If you can wait a few days/weeks you will see the same GRE, PowerOn, LiveMigrate functionality on StoreOnce Catalyst with Data Protector A.09.07. Stay tuned! :)

Regards,
    Sebastian Koehler

Children
  • thanks Sebastian.

I'm trying to work out what it is going to give us with VMWARE backups. Is it just a new name for B2D or does it make recovery and GRE recovery quicker/easier.

I dont see the technical detail in any of the HP documentation.

Yes I have seen the DP9.07 feature list but it would be nice to get more technical information as I'm trying to push my client to move away from Veeam to DP.....

I am ex HP and have used DP since omniback v1 so I want to promote more DP and use this integration if we get benefit from it. We use DP9.06 at present with StoreOnce 4700, catalyst and replication with ARS to remote offsite DP cell.

• SmartCache itself looks like a File Library, but is optimized to store VM-related files in a way that allows us to access them directly through a NFS server on the Media Agent. It can't be used for any other backup types. You can fire up a VM from SmartCache in seconds. On the ESX host where the VM is registered you will see an active NFS datastore presented by the Media Agent. You can leave the VM there for testing or Migrate it to a production datastore. In case of GRE you can start restoring single items without the need to stage the backup to the GRE cache first. If you know Veeam the method should look quite familiar.

Now combine all this with the power and flexibility of StoreOnce Catalyst with its surpirour data reduction techniques, replication etc and you know what we can expect from A.09.07. Great stuff!

Regards,
    Sebastian Koehler

• thanks Sebastian.

thats great information to understand this more. So it would seem that SmartCache only supports NAS and filesystem disk so will it also support catalyst at all ? Its excellent that 9.07 will allow GRE level recovery.

All of this is similar to Veeam features so its a good time to promote all this to my client.

Is SmartCache seen as an area to hold certain VMs as I see it as an ideal area to backup all VMs....

• thanks Sebastian.

thats great information to understand this more. So it would seem that SmartCache only supports NAS and filesystem disk so will it also support catalyst at all ? Its excellent that 9.07 will allow GRE level recovery.

All of this is similar to Veeam features so its a good time to promote all this to my client.

Is SmartCache seen as an area to hold certain VMs as I see it as an ideal area to backup all VMs....

• thanks Sebastian.

• A SmartCache device stores its data, similar to a File Library, on local disk or on a CIFS share. Starting with A.09.07 you don't need SmartCache devices anymore. At least if you have StoreOnce backup system. You can directly backup to StoreOnce Catalyst stores and get the SmartCache functionality from there (through the Media Agent).

Not sure if this was clear enough. GRE restores are still done through the VMware GRE plugin (and require a GRE license if you're not using Capacity based licenses).

Regards,
    Sebastian Koehler

• wrote:

If you can wait a few days/weeks you will see the same GRE, PowerOn, LiveMigrate functionality on StoreOnce Catalyst with Data Protector A.09.07. Stay tuned! :)

Regards,
    Sebastian Koehler

Really great news, thanks for sharing.