Data Protector 8.01 VEPA Cannot Backup Virtual Machines

Hello All,

I'm getting a very strange information from my DP 8.01 using VEPA integration.

I'm still using NDB backup while all data stores are being presented to my backup host (which has media agent installed).

I have this message while performing a test backup:

[Major] From: VEPALIB_VMWARE@chipre "All Datacenters" Time: 5/14/2014 1:39:10 PM
Virtual Machine 'qvsrv': Could not backup disk scsi0:0 ...

[Major] From: VEPALIB_VMWARE@chipre "All Datacenters" Time: 5/14/2014 1:39:10 PM
Virtual Machine 'qvsrv': No disk backed up ...

I have already imported my VCenter server using the follow steps:

I added a disk agent component only

I imported the VCENTER server to my cell.

I can see my datacenters, the snapshot is started, then the error occours and the snapshot is deleted. I also checked whether my vm is marked to use independent disks (is not using).

In Vcenter console I can see either a snapshot or removing snapshot tasks.

I followed all steps from DP 8.00 virtualization manual and I couldn't find anything else related to this error.

I checked also the support matrix for VCenter 4.1 and ESX 4.1 with DP 8.01 version and it seems it's fine.

I'm really whithout answers.

Best Regards

Parents
  • Try editing the file on the vCenter machine

Program Data -> Omniback -> Config -> Client -> vepa_vddk.config

and see if this line exists

tmpDirectory=c:\tmp

If not, add teh line, save the file

This was also found as a DP 8.11 defect, and is going to be fixed with a future general release patch

• Hello,

Unfortunately this information didn't solve this yet, but I found this looking debugging files:

[110] [VddkUtil::diskLibLog] VixDiskLib: Added thumbprint 56:84:F5:F0:BC:AC:8C:C4:07:45:15:21:FE:7E:C7:BB:D8:A4:75:08 to sslIdDb for bl-esx-lam10

[110] [VddkUtil::diskLibLog] 2014-05-14T14:32:29.833-03:00 [05588 info 'ThreadPool'] Thread enlisted

[110] [VddkUtil::diskLibLog] 2014-05-14T14:32:29.879-03:00 [05588 info 'ThreadPool'] Thread delisted

[110] [VddkUtil::diskLibLog] VixDiskLib: Trying to open disk [EVA6400_Datastore3] qvsrv/qvsrv.vmdk using mode nbd.

[110] [VddkUtil::diskLibLog] NBD_ClientOpen: attempting to create connection to vpxa-nfc://[EVA6400_Datastore3] qvsrv/qvsrv.vmdk@bl-esx-lam10:902

[110] [VddkUtil::diskLibLog] Started up WSA

[110] [VddkUtil::diskLibLog] CnxAuthdConnect: Returning false because CnxAuthdConnectTCP failed

[110] [VddkUtil::diskLibLog] CnxConnectAuthd: Returning false because CnxAuthdConnect failed

[110] [VddkUtil::diskLibLog] Cnx_Connect: Returning false because CnxConnectAuthd failed

[110] [VddkUtil::diskLibLog] Cnx_Connect: Error message: Host address lookup for server bl-esx-lam10 failed: The requested name is valid, but no data of the requested type was found

[ 20] [VddkUtil::diskLibWarning] [NFC ERROR] NfcNewAuthdConnectionEx: Failed to connect to peer. Error: Host address lookup for server bl-esx-lam10 failed: The requested name is valid, but no data of the requested type was found

[110] [VddkUtil::diskLibLog] NBD_ClientOpen: Couldn't connect to bl-esx-lam10:902 Host address lookup for server bl-esx-lam10 failed: The requested name is valid, but no data of the requested type was found

[110] [VddkUtil::diskLibLog] DISKLIB-DSCPTR: : "vpxa-nfc://[EVA6400_Datastore3] qvsrv/qvsrv.vmdk@bl-esx-lam10:902" : Failed to open NBD extent.

[110] [VddkUtil::diskLibLog] DISKLIB-LINK : "vpxa-nfc://[EVA6400_Datastore3] qvsrv/qvsrv.vmdk@bl-esx-lam10:902" : failed to open (NBD_ERR_NETWORK_CONNECT).

[110] [VddkUtil::diskLibLog] DISKLIB-CHAIN : "vpxa-nfc://[EVA6400_Datastore3] qvsrv/qvsrv.vmdk@bl-esx-lam10:902" : failed to open (NBD_ERR_NETWORK_CONNECT).

[110] [VddkUtil::diskLibLog] DISKLIB-LIB : Failed to open 'vpxa-nfc://[EVA6400_Datastore3] qvsrv/qvsrv.vmdk@bl-esx-lam10:902' with flags 0xe NBD_ERR_NETWORK_CONNECT (2338).

I'm sending the file attached also, but I believe that's something related to autentication on ESX server. I'm using a local user in order to connect to vcenter and I believe these credentials are being used to get connection to ESX but there's no "support" user in those esx systems. Am I right?

Best Regards

• I can't answer thsi question directly.  I did find this as part of the VEPA Integration

Make sure you have the necessary VMware vSphere privileges granted to the user account

that is used to connect to the vCenter Server.

If you select

Standard security, you need to manually specify which login credentials Data

Protector should use to connect to the VMware client:

Port

: Specify the port that VMware vSphere is using. By default, VMware uses the port 443.

Username and Password:

Specify an operating system user account that has the following

VMware vSphere privileges:

Datastore -> Allocate space

Datastore -> Browse datastore

Datastore -> Low level file operations

Datastore -> Remove file

Datastore -> Rename datastore

Folder -> Delete folder

Folder -> Rename folder

Global -> Disable methods

Global -> Enable methods

Global -> Licenses

Host -> Configuration -> Maintenance

Host -> Inventory -> Add standalone host

Network -> Assign network

Resource -> Assign virtual machine to resource pool

Resource -> Remove resource pool

Resource -> Rename resource pool

Sessions -> Validate session

vApp -> Delete

vApp -> Rename

vApp -> Add virtual machine

Virtual machine -> State -> Revert to snapshot

Virtual machine -> Configuration *

Virtual machine -> Interaction -> Answer question

Virtual machine -> Interaction -> Power Off

Virtual machine -> Interaction -> Power On

Virtual machine -> Inventory -> Create new

Virtual machine -> Inventory -> Register

Virtual machine -> Inventory -> Remove

Virtual machine -> Inventory -> Unregister

Virtual machine -> Provisioning *

Virtual machine -> State -> Create snapshot

Virtual machine -> State -> Remove snapshot

Web service: Optionally, change the web service entry point URI. Default: /sdk

If you select Integrated security, which is only available for VMware vCenter Server systems,

provided that both the application client and the backup host are Windows systems, Data

Protector connects to the VMware vCenter Server system with the user account under which

the Data Protector Inet service on the backup host is running. Ensure that this user

account has appropriate VMware vSphere rights to connect to the VMware vCenter Server

system and the Data Protector Inet service on the backup host is configured for user

impersonation.

For details on setting accounts for the Inet service user impersonation, see the HP Data Protector Help index: “Inet user impersonation”.

For the

Port and Web service root options, Data Protector uses the values that are currently

specified for the standard security. Integrated security is based on Security Support Provider

Interface (SSPI).

I pulled this from the Virtualization Integration Guide for DP 8

• In fact,

I don't think that my user is the issue. I'm using the same user as the vmware administrator uses while managing vmware vsphere. This users is not from any domain but a local admin user. Vcenter uses the local "suporte" user as the super admin. This users is listed in admin role.

Cheking carefully the logs I can see this:

[110] [VddkUtil::diskLibLog] DISKLIB-LINK : "san://snapshot-1406[EVA6400_Datastore3] qvsrv/qvsrv.vmdk@esmirna.redecorp.br:443?suporte/XXX" : failed to open (You do not have access rights to this file).

[110] [VddkUtil::diskLibLog] DISKLIB-CHAIN : "san://snapshot-1406[EVA6400_Datastore3] qvsrv/qvsrv.vmdk@esmirna.redecorp.br:443?suporte/XXX" : failed to open (You do not have access rights to this file).

[110] [VddkUtil::diskLibLog] DISKLIB-LIB : Failed to open 'san://snapshot-1406[EVA6400_Datastore3] qvsrv/qvsrv.vmdk@esmirna.redecorp.br:443?suporte/XXX' with flags 0xe You do not have access rights to this file (3390).

Since i didn't presented the data stores to my backup host yet, I changed my backup transportation mode to NBD according to these logs:

[110] [VddkUtil::diskLibLog] 2014-05-14T14:32:37.336-03:00 [05588 info 'ThreadPool'] Thread enlisted

[110] [VddkUtil::diskLibLog] 2014-05-14T14:32:37.383-03:00 [05588 info 'ThreadPool'] Thread delisted

[110] [VddkUtil::diskLibLog] VixDiskLib: Trying to open disk [EVA6400_Datastore3] qvsrv/qvsrv.vmdk using mode nbdssl.

[110] [VddkUtil::diskLibLog] NBD_ClientOpen: attempting to create connection to vpxa-nfcssl://[EVA6400_Datastore3] qvsrv/qvsrv.vmdk@bl-esx-lam10:902

[110] [VddkUtil::diskLibLog] CnxAuthdConnect: Returning false because CnxAuthdConnectTCP failed

[110] [VddkUtil::diskLibLog] CnxConnectAuthd: Returning false because CnxAuthdConnect failed

[110] [VddkUtil::diskLibLog] Cnx_Connect: Returning false because CnxConnectAuthd failed

[110] [VddkUtil::diskLibLog] Cnx_Connect: Error message: Host address lookup for server bl-esx-lam10 failed: The requested name is valid, but no data of the requested type was found

[ 20] [VddkUtil::diskLibWarning] [NFC ERROR] NfcNewAuthdConnectionEx: Failed to connect to peer. Error: Host address lookup for server bl-esx-lam10 failed: The requested name is valid, but no data of the requested type was found

[110] [VddkUtil::diskLibLog] NBD_ClientOpen: Couldn't connect to bl-esx-lam10:902 Host address lookup for server bl-esx-lam10 failed: The requested name is valid, but no data of the requested type was found

[110] [VddkUtil::diskLibLog] DISKLIB-DSCPTR: : "vpxa-nfcssl://[EVA6400_Datastore3] qvsrv/qvsrv.vmdk@bl-esx-lam10:902" : Failed to open NBD extent.

[110] [VddkUtil::diskLibLog] DISKLIB-LINK : "vpxa-nfcssl://[EVA6400_Datastore3] qvsrv/qvsrv.vmdk@bl-esx-lam10:902" : failed to open (NBD_ERR_NETWORK_CONNECT).

[110] [VddkUtil::diskLibLog] DISKLIB-CHAIN : "vpxa-nfcssl://[EVA6400_Datastore3] qvsrv/qvsrv.vmdk@bl-esx-lam10:902" : failed to open (NBD_ERR_NETWORK_CONNECT).

[110] [VddkUtil::diskLibLog] DISKLIB-LIB : Failed to open 'vpxa-nfcssl://[EVA6400_Datastore3] qvsrv/qvsrv.vmdk@bl-esx-lam10:902' with flags 0xe NBD_ERR_NETWORK_CONNECT (2338).

[110] [VddkUtil::diskLibLog] 2014-05-14T14:32:44.247-03:00 [05588 info 'ThreadPool'] Thread enlisted

My question is: Using NBD transportation mode shouldn't DP VEPA Integration try to connect using the credentials previously placed at configuration's tab? I mean, DP will never be able to resolve the ESX server straightly, since this hostname is not listed at dns service. Moreover, port 902 probably is dropping packages once we have never changed the default settings of ESX Server. Do I need to create new entries for my ESX servers in DNS configuration? DP server must to resolve my ESX machines or everything is done from VCENTER server?

Thanks in advance

• In fact,

I don't think that my user is the issue. I'm using the same user as the vmware administrator uses while managing vmware vsphere. This users is not from any domain but a local admin user. Vcenter uses the local "suporte" user as the super admin. This users is listed in admin role.

[110] [VddkUtil::diskLibLog] DISKLIB-LINK : "san://snapshot-1406[EVA6400_Datastore3] qvsrv/qvsrv.vmdk@esmirna.redecorp.br:443?suporte/XXX" : failed to open (You do not have access rights to this file).

[110] [VddkUtil::diskLibLog] DISKLIB-CHAIN : "san://snapshot-1406[EVA6400_Datastore3] qvsrv/qvsrv.vmdk@esmirna.redecorp.br:443?suporte/XXX" : failed to open (You do not have access rights to this file).

[110] [VddkUtil::diskLibLog] DISKLIB-LIB : Failed to open 'san://snapshot-1406[EVA6400_Datastore3] qvsrv/qvsrv.vmdk@esmirna.redecorp.br:443?suporte/XXX' with flags 0xe You do not have access rights to this file (3390).

Since i didn't presented the data stores to my backup host yet, I changed my backup transportation mode to NBD according to these logs:

[110] [VddkUtil::diskLibLog] 2014-05-14T14:32:37.336-03:00 [05588 info 'ThreadPool'] Thread enlisted

[110] [VddkUtil::diskLibLog] 2014-05-14T14:32:37.383-03:00 [05588 info 'ThreadPool'] Thread delisted

[110] [VddkUtil::diskLibLog] VixDiskLib: Trying to open disk [EVA6400_Datastore3] qvsrv/qvsrv.vmdk using mode nbdssl.

[110] [VddkUtil::diskLibLog] NBD_ClientOpen: attempting to create connection to vpxa-nfcssl://[EVA6400_Datastore3] qvsrv/qvsrv.vmdk@bl-esx-lam10:902

[110] [VddkUtil::diskLibLog] DISKLIB-DSCPTR: : "vpxa-nfcssl://[EVA6400_Datastore3] qvsrv/qvsrv.vmdk@bl-esx-lam10:902" : Failed to open NBD extent.

[110] [VddkUtil::diskLibLog] DISKLIB-LINK : "vpxa-nfcssl://[EVA6400_Datastore3] qvsrv/qvsrv.vmdk@bl-esx-lam10:902" : failed to open (NBD_ERR_NETWORK_CONNECT).

[110] [VddkUtil::diskLibLog] DISKLIB-CHAIN : "vpxa-nfcssl://[EVA6400_Datastore3] qvsrv/qvsrv.vmdk@bl-esx-lam10:902" : failed to open (NBD_ERR_NETWORK_CONNECT).

[110] [VddkUtil::diskLibLog] DISKLIB-LIB : Failed to open 'vpxa-nfcssl://[EVA6400_Datastore3] qvsrv/qvsrv.vmdk@bl-esx-lam10:902' with flags 0xe NBD_ERR_NETWORK_CONNECT (2338).

[110] [VddkUtil::diskLibLog] 2014-05-14T14:32:44.247-03:00 [05588 info 'ThreadPool'] Thread enlisted

My question is: Using NBD transportation mode shouldn't DP VEPA Integration try to connect using the credentials previously placed at configuration's tab? I mean, DP will never be able to resolve the ESX server straightly, since this hostname is not listed at dns service. Moreover, port 902 probably is dropping packages once we have never changed the default settings of ESX Server. Do I need to create new entries for my ESX servers in DNS configuration? DP server must to resolve my ESX machines or everything is done from VCENTER server?

Thanks in advance

• In fact,

Thanks in advance

Children