Hyper-V Backup over SAN - DP 10.04

Hello Guys,

we have a Hyper-V Cluster with two hosts.

The backup job is defined to save all vms through the "cluster-hostname" (cluster ip) backup host.

The cluster ip can only be on one host at the same time and switches to the other node, if you restart the host where the cluster ip is currently deployed.

Since DP is only backing up vms directly over san where the cluster ip is located, all other vms which are located on the second host need to be sent through lan to the backup host, and so a bottleneck is created.

A few days ago i migrated all vms to the host where the cluster ip is deployed to see how much the time difference would be and the difference was huge. If all vms are on the cluster ip node, the backup job would only need around 8 hours, else if all vms are distributed on both nodes evenly it takes around 15 - 20 hours depending on where the vms are located.

So my question is, is there a better way to backup my vms and save time?

Cheers,

Gandalf

Parents
  • Hi ,

Lanfree backups has been enhanced since Data Protector 8.11, could you please confirm your target devices have multipath and also are accesible to all the Hyper-V clients? If that's the case then you will have to enable the following global variable:

LANfree=1

The variable will overwrite how BSM determines the multipath host, using a value of 1 will try to use always a local device.

If still doesn't work then try LANfree=2

Best Regards

• AFAIK the data transfer will still run via ethernet unless the co-ordinator role and VM hosting Cluster Node is the same. This is because the backup "client" is always the Cluster Node hosting the VM (this is where vssbar.exe gets started) whereas the data transfer for VE HyperV will always be from the node acting as co-ordinator role for the CSV.

Variable LANFree is designed to help you avoid having to always configure the preferred path on physical tape drives within the backup spec.

I'd love to be wrong here tho.... but I'm pretty sure I'm not...

• Hello ,

thanks for your long and excat answer. 

You really made me undestand better how the procedure works.

Anway i just tried the LANfree=1 option but without success (just as you mentioned).

There are only two server that have around 2 TB data to backup, all other vms are less then 200GB.

So i will definitly try what you wrote and see if this can lower the duration of my backups.

Thanks a lot,

Gandalf

• Hello ,

thanks for your long and excat answer. 

You really made me undestand better how the procedure works.

Anway i just tried the LANfree=1 option but without success (just as you mentioned).

There are only two server that have around 2 TB data to backup, all other vms are less then 200GB.

So i will definitly try what you wrote and see if this can lower the duration of my backups.

Thanks a lot,

Gandalf

Children
No Data