Data Protector - Restore AS on new server WITH FILE PERMISSIONS

Hi,

I have a problem in my company.

We are trying to use DP as backup/restore machine douring our migration.

The idea is to backup user data (My Documents, Favorits & Desktop) and restore it on file share ( after migration users will use mounted my Docs/Fav/Desktop from that server).

So you know where i'm aiming.

Restoring of data isn't hard thing...

We can restore it using SAVE AS option in DP GUI, but (there is always BUT) permissions on that file share ain't the same.

Actually after reading this forum i noticed that people use NO as an answer for this issue, but on the other hand it's something that DP in theory can do easily, so maybe obsticle for this is only business logic of DP.

I have to admit that that logic is good, but i would very much like to bend it for my purpose.

I accept any solution:

We could use some kind of script which can remotely change permission on restored folder, but for that i would very much like to have an exsample of use "omnir" command.

omnir  -report major -filesystem -#destination_server:#location - session #session -client #client -tree #location

so if anyone can give me exsample of working command for windows i would very much apriciate that

By working command i'm aiming at working command from /sbin/sh

So far i have spent 2 days for trying to get it work & because of that i'm writing this post

Sorry for long post & Thank you in advance

• So support came today & i will write you a solution:

You can read documentation & you will get a head ake to restore if you are new to DP product.

1. Get available devices:

omnidownload -list_devices

2. Get labels and source_client data:

omnidb -winfs

(you can use other flags too)

3. Make a command

omnir -report major -winfs <OUTPUT FROM 2. COMMAND> -session <SESSION WHEN YOU MADE BACKUP> -tree <LOCATION OF DOCUMENTS/FOLDER THAT YOU WANT TO RESTORE> -into <LOCATION ON TARGET HOST>

-target <TARGET HOST> -device <OUTPUT FROM 1. COMMAND>

so after all you shuld have comand like this one:

omnir -report major -winfs mybackupserver.mydomain.local:/C 'mybackupserver.mydomain.local [/C]' -session 2015/04/08-122 -tree C:/Documents and Settings/mytestuser/My Documents/ -into C:/AAAAA -target mytargethost.mydomain.local -device JUKE_DRIVE2

NOTE: If you use host table as resolving method then domain things are obsolute

Permissionas are saved by default if you have a proper domain user on restored host.

But issue is that root folder for some reason changes her special permissions, but that can be handeled after restore option manually.

Hope that i have helped someone

• Do you want to migrate local User-Profiles to a Filer? If so which kind of FileServer we are talking about?

Main Issue is probably the User- and GroupID that does not match between Source and Target. DP cannot change that in between, has to be manually done by the Admin.

• Hi,

I allready noticed that.

We changed our approuch a bit but still we are using DP as migration solution.

I have created python gui that uses ssh and sends restore command to the DP machine.

In case that user exists in domain everything goes as expected, othervise Administartor has to manually change permissions (very unrare situation).

Anyway i noticed that restore using simple gui is at least 10X fater then using conventional approach ( DP - Gui).

Thanks allot for your contribution.